Life on Venus?

Gargamel

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-selects-four-possible-missions-to-study-the-secrets-of-the-solar-system'

This discovery may just make DAVINCHI+ chosen. The team might be very excited to be the team to discover aliens!

Kinda crazy to think... that we once explored Venus heavily and said there must be no life there... I was taught there was no way at all Venus would have life in school.

Edit:

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2020/pdf/2599.pdf

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

Do the Venusians and the Martians distribute, who produces methane and who produces phosphine?

Or somebody wants a Venus research funding?

Phosphine tho in the amounts they are seeing isn't something you see without bacteria

Methane on the other hand could be produced by bacteria on Mars but could also be a geological event happening

3 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Phosphine tho in the amounts they are seeing isn't something you see without bacteria

Methane on the other hand could be produced by bacteria on Mars but could also be a geological event happening

But where is the Venusian bacterial methane then?

Bah - might have known I'd be ninjaed. Just finished listening to the press conference - really interesting stuff.

They're being understandably cagey about claiming detection of life - not least because the amount of sulphuric acid in Venus' atmosphere makes it very unlikely that anything resembling terrestrial organisms could survive. On the other hand, they've eliminated all the non-biological routes to producing phosphine - their models are falling short there by several orders of magnitude.

So, as somebody pointed out on Twitter (I forget who, sorry), we've got novel chemistry, unexplained spectroscopy or possible life happening here, all of which are pretty interesting!

Edited by KSK

6 minutes ago, KSK said:

On the other hand, they've eliminated all the non-biological routes to producing phosphine - their models are falling short there by several orders of magnitude.

So, either a life lives, or the models are wrong. I vote for the former!

P.S.
Is that NASA poll about the future researches still active?

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

So, either a life lives, or the models are wrong. I vote for the former!

OK, I should probably correct myself. They've eliminated all the non-biological routes using chemistry that they're aware of. :)  That's not ruling out unknown chemistry but it's hard to say much about that, it being unknown and all.

Honestly there have been too many false claims in the past where I don't want to get too excited

I like how all the non science people hearing this think it's some kind of animal :rolleyes:

It's bacteria if it is, or some kind of extremophile

I'm being reminded of a certain thread where I made some bold claims about life in extreme conditions, and quite a few people reacted with disbelief. :) I can't say that I expected that, but I can say that given what we know, the idea is plausible. That said, if this is true, then we're in for some really weird stuff. Extremophiles on Earth are bizarre enough, but Venus? 

TBH, given those results, whatever's causing them would be pretty weird whether it's really life or not. Oh, well, it's an exciting time to be in biophysics. :) I'm currently specializing towards things that happen in humans, but if they really find extraplanetary life I think I'll switch. :) 

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The cool thing, I think, is that this is the most likely way of finding life on another planet. We would see novel chemistry first.

That has been true for some time as in exo planets. 
Helium was first identified on the sun :) 
Now its that star with trans uranium elements https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125615-oddball-star-could-be-home-to-long-sought-superheavy-elements/ is much weirder :)

6 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

That has been true for some time as in exo planets. 
Helium was first identified on the sun :) 
Now its that star with trans uranium elements https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125615-oddball-star-could-be-home-to-long-sought-superheavy-elements/ is much weirder :)

I remember one of my first actual upper-level physics lab projects was rediscovering the absorption lines in the stellar spectrum.

We know phosphine can be naturally produced in high temperatures, this happens on Jupiter, for instance. What got people so excited is that Venus is hot, but not that hot. Either there's some place in there where there's a 500K+ hotspot, or some other process is at work here. This could be geochemistry, but one thing life does is produce molecules that are typically difficult to make otherwise. 

This actually got me thinking. We know terrestrial life can make phosphine, and that there are species that could survive in the atmosphere of Venus. Were the Venera probes decontaminated? I'm not sure if Soviets had an equivalent to Planetary Protection Officer at the time, and even if they did, they knew Venus was a hellhole back then, and extremophiles were poorly researched at the time. I wonder, what are the chances that one of those hitched a ride in one of the parachute containers, or on a balloon probe, and, having found a perfect environment, spread far enough for its metabolites to show up? It's a rather disturbing thought. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.