How far can you go on Monopropellent boosters?

NOTICE: This thread is no longer countined. Please go to the link below. All submissions here will be transfered. 

How far can you go on monopropelent? Well lets see. To gain pionts you ahve to land on the planet or moon and return to kerbin. You may use propellers but no jet engines. You can only use electric and monopropellent (no ion engines).

Maned 20p

Robotic 10p

Mun 2p

Minmus 1p

Duna 10p

Eve 15 p

Moho, Jool- 20p each

Laythe-25p

Tylo-30p

Pol and Bob- 15p each

Gilly and Ike- 15p each

Eeloo- 35p

Asteroid or Comet (Docked)- 40p

Once your done please post a picture of you rocket or pictures of it landed. thanks and have fun! (No mods but yes to docs.)

P equals point

and post number of pionts

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Added more rules and more fun!

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

How far can you go on monopropelent? Well lets see. To gain pionts you ahve to land on the planet or moon and return to kerbin.

Mun 1p

Minmus 2p

Duna and Eve 10p each

Moho, Jool, and Jool's moons- 20p each

Gilly and Ike- 15p each

Eeloo- 25p

Asteroid or Comet (Docked)- 40p

Once your done please post a picture of you rocket or pictures of it landed. thanks and have fun!

P equals point

and post number of pionts

Nice challenge. Should it be manned or unmanned or can it be both?

You might want to rethink the scoring.

Eve is pretty much impossible to return from with monopropellent. The puff engine has an ISP of 46 at Eves highest point and a TWR of 2.44 from the engine alone. At Eve sea level the thrust from monopropellent is 0. Maybe it's possible if you combine it with propellors.

All of Jools moon the same points does not make sense. Tylo and Laythe have far higher requirements than Pol and Bop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:31 AM, EveMaster said:

Eve is pretty much impossible to return from with monopropellent. The puff engine has an ISP of 46 at Eves highest point and a TWR of 2.44 from the engine alone. At Eve sea level the thrust from monopropellent is 0. Maybe it's possible if you combine it with propellors.

But maybe with props and mono?

Maybe I'll try this challenge later - but not to Eve, maybe to the Mun.

And why do you give more points for Minmus than for Mun? Mun takes more deltaV.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:12 PM, Dr. Kerbal said:

How far can you go on monopropelent? Well lets see. To gain pionts you ahve to land on the planet or moon and return to kerbin. You may use propellers but no jet engines. You can only use electric and monopropellent (no ion engines).

I like the idea @Dr. Kerbal :)! A few suggestions.

switch the mun and minmus points. It's way easier for minmus than mun.

It would make sense to do points in an even point way so I would recommend

Minmus 5 points

Mun/Gilly 10 points

Duna/Eve/Ike* 15 points

Jool*/Pol/Bop/asteroid 20 points

Dres/Eeloo/comet/Moho*  25 points

Laythe/Tylo/Moho returned 30 points

Eve returned 50 points

Jool returned (pretty much impossible but maybe Evemaster will prove me wrong) 100 points.

I would also make a patch for it, and if you can't, I am always up to help make one :) 

I see nothing here that says I can’t use mods, and I know of a rather nifty ion-style monopropellant thruster with ISP well over a thousand plus a 2.5m monopropellant aerospike that might work for Eve...

Look up the ‘monopalooza’ challenge from a few months ago, there were some interesting designs in there due to a strict stock parts only rule and a weight limit of 100 tons- I managed to land Kerbals on Eve, Gilly and Duna with a single launch (none came home again); there were some creative attempts to get around the ISP issue in atmosphere that could be useful here.

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Well, I didn't manage to come back, but I made this ridiculous thing 

YgZHj0L.png 

and got it to land on Minmus. 

DoYbPLR.png 

Does that count? 

Yes it does.  Awesome mission by the way. 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

NOTICE: This challenge has rules that are unclear. This will be fixed soon on this thread or posted on a new thread

I'm so sorry for this news.  I have made a lot of challenges over the time I've been on the forums and they need some clean up.  For example rules and how to submit your admission are unclear. Modes and awards are also unclear. There is a lot of unclear things and I will have to clarify them.  If there is a new thread I will post it here. Until then, enjoy this challenge and have a safe flight. 

- Doctor Kerbal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.