New player - Addicted - How to improve/get better?

So, I am a addicted new KSP player, and I don't even know. I am horrible, I can get my spacecraft in orbit, but thats it. I see people building sattelites, space stations, rovers and I don't have any idea how to continue after the first missions, what to do next etc etc.

What are good resources to learn from? And what mods I should absolutely have?

I did read about Mechjeb or something like that, but I don't really think it is as enjoyable when you have something who is doing everything for you? Or am I wrong. 

One more question about something I saw. Is this a mod or is this a stock functionality? I didn't found it yet (the lines, dragging orbits etc.) https://gyazo.com/a9a857fc910f35425c5d69e2ad05f062

Hey and welcome to the KSP forums, @DennisK91 :)

One particular good way to improve is if you'd go to Twitch and start streaming, with a stream title similar to "KSP beginner needs help".

Usually there are always experienced fellow players around happy to coach you (including yours truly), and due to the interactivity of the platform, I think this is an excellent fast track to learn.

37 minutes ago, DennisK91 said:

Is this a mod or is this a stock functionality?

What exactly do you mean?

Edited by VoidSquid

17 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

One particular good way to improve is if you'd go to Twitch and start streaming, with a stream title similar to "KSP beginner needs help".

Hmm, I will try that as well and also reading as much as I can on this forum :)

With the screenshot I mean I see a lot of functionalities I didnt see yet in the base game. Like all the icons left of the navball, the m/s ‘slider’ right of the navball and he is dragging curves.. I didnt find it yet, so I was wondering what is is. 

Left of the Navball, these are the things your pilot (or pod) can do, depends on experience of the pilot / particular pod (i.e., an Okto is less capable than a HECS2, a 1-star pilot is less capable than a 3-star pilot).

Also, if you enable "Advanced Tweakables" and "Extended Burn Indicator" in the settings, KSP will provide you more options and information.

Edited by VoidSquid

32 minutes ago, DennisK91 said:

the icons left of the navball, the m/s ‘slider’ right of the navball and he is dragging curves

That's all stock, they are called manoeuvre nodes, and are very useful for planning when and where to use your engines to change your orbit! The m/s gauge is showing how much dV is needed to complete the planned manouver. The icons left of the navball are the settings for the SAS stability assistance - each one tells the craft to try and stay pointed a certain direction.

In sandbox, this stuff should be there all the time. In career mode, the number of SAS icons varies as VoidSquid mentioned based on the capabilities of the probe/pilot, and the manoeuvre nodes are only available after upgrading some buildings (mission control, tracking station).

Edited by eatU4myT

1 hour ago, DennisK91 said:

So, I am a addicted new KSP player, and I don't even know. I am horrible, I can get my spacecraft in orbit, but thats it.

In that case, congratulations!  You're half-way to anywhere.  Welcome to the happy family, too--this forum is very much the right place to go to find advice.

I see people building sattelites, space stations, rovers and I don't have any idea how to continue after the first missions, what to do next etc etc.

Well, that all depends on what you want to do.  The missions that you're getting right now are probably offering contracts to either visit one of the moons or perform a rendezvous in orbit--assuming that you're playing in career mode, that is.  That's a good place to start, but KSP is an open-ended game with no specific win condition.  The goal is to get out there and explore, and it's completely up to you to decide how to do that.

Were I in your position and playing career mode, my next move would be to upgrade both Mission Control and the Tracking Station to level two, because doing this provides access to manoeuvre nodes and flight planning.  From there I'd next look to re-enact an Apollo-8-style Mun mission where I orbit but don't land.  From there, it really is up to you.  You can try doing an Apollo-style mission, but that will require you to learn rendezvous and docking.  You can try doing a direct flight (meaning no separate lander), but that will require you to design a new type of rocket.  You may want to invest in probe cores, since you'll most likely make a lot of mistakes.

On a related note, you might as well see the orientation video:

Hilarity aside, this really does describe a common experience among players.  Keep a sense of humour, and hope that you don't need to go all the way to four rescue missions to save one kerbal.

What are good resources to learn from?

Aside from Gameplay Questions, where you are presently, there is the Tutorials section.  You'll get more of a technical take on solving problems here, and more of the step-by-step stuff from there.  Another place to look for inspiration is the Mission Reports section.  Most of the materials that I used to learn were made for much older versions of KSP, so there's a limit to how much they can help you--a lot has changed in the past seven years.  You're probably best served by looking at some of the YouTube resources out there, but be wary of anything more than a year old and especially so for anything more than two years old.  There's still good information to be found in the older stuff, but it definitely has a half-life.

Trial and error is still a good teacher, so you may find it best to decide on what you want to do next, and then ask for help should you have trouble.

2 hours ago, DennisK91 said:

And what mods I should absolutely have?

I did read about Mechjeb or something like that, but I don't really think it is as enjoyable when you have something who is doing everything for you? Or am I wrong. 

There aren't any mods that you absolutely need.  The stock game is fully playable.  But in the interests of a complete answer, mods can largely be divided into four broad categories:  visual mods, information mods, part mods, and gameplay mods.

• Visual mods change the appearance of various game objects:  in your screenshot, did you notice that Kerbin has clouds and a pretty aurora?  That's a visual mod.
  • Information mods usually supply you with information that the stock game does not, though they occasionally offer stock-available information in a more readable form or otherwise improves on stock.  Kerbal Engineer Redux is an example of the former; Kerbal Alarm Clock is an example of the latter.
  • Part mods are exactly what it says on the tin.  Often, new parts go along with gameplay mods, but some mods only offer new parts.  There are new jet engines, new station parts, new wings and aeroplane parts, and other things that make use of the stock mechanics but offer something better suited to specific missions.  Eve Optimized Engines is an example of this.
  • Gameplay mods are the most diverse.  They include changing existing functionality, adding new features, taking features away, and can involve anything and everything from adding a strut that can be attached in-flight to changing the face of the solar system (however, I concede that planet packs may well constitute a fifth category at this point).

I will say that you may find Kerbal Alarm Clock to be helpful; it will offer you reminders of upcoming burns and transfer windows and the like so that you don't forget missions when you have several going on at once.  It also helps you avoid accidentally time-warping so far past a burn that you need to reload the game to have another chance.  Kerbal Engineer may offer too much information that you do not yet know how to use--especially since a lot of its staple offerings are now part of stock.  MechJeb is more than an autopilot--it can calculate advanced interplanetary transfers without necessarily flying them for you, for example--but you don't need it if you don't want it.  If it really bothers you, then you can install kOS and write your own autopilot.

Anyway, that's everything that I have to add to answer your questions for now.  If you have other questions, then please feel free to ask.

Memorize some basic values and rules that are useful in every launch:

- Your ratio of thrust to total weight (TWR ingame) must be greater than 1 or the vehicle won't get off the ground. You can see that once you attach an engine and appears on the right in the "stagging" icons. Once you are in orbit you can have less than 1 ratio, or whatever works.

-Pay attention to each stage's meters per second thrust (m/s ingame). To get into orbit you need about 3600 m/s, so if you want to put a lander on the moon you need way more than that.

-Carrer mode has limitations in parts and buildings in the space center, sandbox doesn't. So if you want some quick practice, use sandbox.

-When launching your rocket, steer east 15º (watch your navball!) until your AP marker indicates more than 70Km, cut the engines burn and wait until your altitude is 65-70 Km. Start the engines again and finish the orbit paralel to the surface. You can steer in other directions hen launching, but they require more punch, alias more m/s.

-Aerodinamics are important! Dont make a brick and expect it to fly. Also, putting control wings in the tail of the rocket helps keeping it pointing forward.

-Have fun!

2 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

One particular good way to improve is if you'd go to Twitch and start streaming, with a stream title similar to "KSP beginner needs help"

You'll get far more and detailed instructions if you title it "KSP expert here to show you how to play correctly."

;)

Just kidding. Don't follow my advice above there, @DennisK91

More seriously, if streaming on your own isn't in the cards, watching others can be a boon. Keep with the big names until you know what you're doing. And watch out, don't watch any videos from before April 2015, as when 1.0 dropped the entire atmospheric model changed dramatically.

Also watch these videos not with an eye on what to do, but an eye on why they're doing it. Find people who explain why they are launching the way they launch, why they chose such and such a time to do a burn, why they're burning that much, and so on.

You can get by with rules of thumb and hacks, but when you use what you've learned to come up with your own rules of thumb and hacks ideas you'll only then REALLY experience KSP.

Edited by Superfluous J

1 minute ago, Superfluous J said:

come up with your own ideas you'll only then REALLY experience KSP.

Signed, that's the very moment KSP won't play you but you will play KSP :D 

What I can offer you: drop me a line when you might be on twitch (weekend preferred, and times please in GMT/UTC) , and I'll torture you with old man's wisdom what and how to do ;) 

3 hours ago, DennisK91 said:

So, I am a addicted new KSP player, and I don't even know. I am horrible, I can get my spacecraft in orbit, but thats it. I see people building sattelites, space stations, rovers and I don't have any idea how to continue after the first missions, what to do next etc etc.

What are good resources to learn from? And what mods I should absolutely have?

One more question about something I saw. Is this a mod or is this a stock functionality? I didn't found it yet (the lines, dragging orbits etc.) https://gyazo.com/a9a857fc910f35425c5d69e2ad05f062

no mod is especially required. some will simplify your life, but that's it.

in my experience, the best way to learn the game is to start a career mode and start taking contracts. you take a contract, you try to figure out a spaceship that can do it. you cannot figure out something, you go on the forum and ask. unfortunately, this game is not very beginner-friendly. just like real space exploration.

just, try to be specific and clear when you ask questions. there are dozens of subtle ways a spaceship could go wrong, and we can't help you if we lack the information to understand the problem. post pictures whenever it can help.

i also suggest you try all the tutorials, they give you the basics at least.

now, regarding some of the things you mentioned

- you already can make a satellite. you can launcvh a spacecraft in orbit. well, make an unmanned spacecraft (you need probe cores, which you may not have unlocked yet), send it to orbit, that's a satellite.

- building space stations is easy. you launch a bigger satelllite on a bigger rocket, and call it a station. :sticktongue: well, ok, when you start docking it gets more complicated, luckily docking is explained in the tutorial. making a bigger rocket is easy as long as you can use bigger parts, otherwise it gets more complicated, you have to make a launcher shaped like a stack of asparagus (we actually call it the asparagus setup) so that you can have multiple engines working without then unbalancing the rocket in bad ways.

- building a rover is easy. take a lander, put wheels on it. how do you make a lander? take a satellyte, make sure it has an engine big enough to lift against muns gravity, and enough extra fuel to go to mun and land.

well, ok, if you try this, you will see a lot of problems. for example, your "rover" will probably not have a shape apt to landing, so it may capsize and sit uselessly. or maybe it could get stuck on top of its own engine.

but here the engineering starts. now you should have an idea of what didn't work. try to find ways to solve your problems, and iterate.

Welcome to the wonderful world of KSP!

4 hours ago, DennisK91 said:

As always, YMMV...

No offense intended, but you're wrong.  MechJeb doesn't do "everything" for you...  You still need to properly design the vehicle and the mission. (MechJeb doesn't design, doesn't tell you if the design is good or bad, and can't save you from a bad design.)  You still need to make key decisions, even if MechJeb then executes those decisions.  (Such as deciding on orbital altitude, when and where to land, etc... etc...)

MechJeb is a tool, not an "easy button".

I use MechJeb for two reasons:

- My enjoyment from the game comes from engineering the vehicles and designing the missions and mission techniques.  When my lander plops down on Duna, it's because I did all the hard work and skull sweat that it made it possible.  All MechJeb did was (essentially) execute the script I wrote on the hardware I designed.  (I say "essentially executed the script" because you don't actually write a script, you punch buttons when it's time to punch them.  But you decide when it's time.)

- With my eye/hand coordination (or more correctly, the lack of), it would be impossible to play KSP at all.

Use MechJeb or not, either way is fine.  The only mistake you can make in this regard is to listen to the fools who talk trash about MechJeb, who misrepresent what it does, who call it "cheating", who try and imply that you're somehow a lesser person for doing so. 

It's your game, play it your way.  There is no One True Way to play.

You got to orbit.  That's a huge step.

The screenshot you posted appears to be setting up a maneuver node.  Since you're not familiar with that, it sounds like you're pretty early into your career, and haven't upgraded much.

In Career mode, you want to accept contracts to get money (to build rockets and upgrade your buildings) and collect science to unlock more parts.  The wiki has a fantastic explanation of how the science system works--basically, do you various experiments and observations in various places, and return them (or transmit them) to collect science.  And you spend science on unlocking parts.

In terms of mods, there are two that are "must have"s for me: Kerbal Engineer (incredibly useful for lots of things, but especially useful when building rockets to see your TWR and dV of each stage) and Kerbal Alarm Clock (which you probably don't need *yet*, seeing how early you are in the game).  I use a few other mods for specific situations (Pilot Assistant) or on more advanced designs (PreciseEditor and RCS Build Aid for planes), but KER and KAC are, to me, indispensable.

Thanks everybody for the great advice! Will start it up tomorrow again and I think I'll try to get to the moon first and do some experiments in order to get some science points

I'll respond later on you guys for some more questions probably. Now it's time for some rest;)

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

To get better in ksp...there's no trick. It's just trial and error, really. Just take your time, watch a couple of tutorials. But...make sure to have fun! Seriously, don't follow the tutorials for each and every step....experiment! Explore! Learn! Crash! Explode! These are the joys you will experience in ksp. Good luck mate!

Oh, and learn the way the game works in sandbox. Once you master getting to orbit...You're halfway to anywhere!

Edited by Lewie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.