Kerbal(ism) Space Program

jimmymcgoochie

This will be the last update for a while, as I'm off to participate in the Beyond Home Space Race starting from tomorrow. With that in mind, I spent a slightly ridiculous amount of time finishing off an important milestone- Gilly Base has finally landed on Gilly!

sZ3T1Wi.png

aEZb8lm.png

rOBUIgt.png

The base's engine got a bit mangled at some point, but when I tried to grab it to perform a repair it went flying off at some speed, so I had to send the Gilly Explorer off in pursuit with three engineers clinging on to the ladder.

xsIPsWo.png

There were several 'landings' before the final one, due to a combination of really low gravity and really really low control authority on the base- it chewed through monopropellant at a scary speed and the reaction wheels are apparently non-existent, probably because I forgot to add them!

KayfAfG.png

Once finally landed, Bill headed out to plant a flag then deploy the power generation part of the deployed science array before Sidzer joined him to deploy the experiments. This also involved the first ever case of interplanetary littering... Well, those boxes are useless now that the deployed science stuff is actually deployed.

ufEMRMM.png

More stuff happened, but it's 1am here and I really can't be bothered writing up some minor events twice; they're detailed in the album here: https://imgur.com/a/5OfUpWa

What's next? Nothing until after the Beyond Home Space Race is finished, I'm afraid. That could take a while, but at least I got to Gilly and a second page before starting that. Once it concludes I'll be back here continuing these reports.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back! For now at least, though I've been watching an RP-1 playthrough series so I might get distracted by that, or go back to my old JNSQ career since it's at the same scale as the upscaled Beyond Home setup in that space race.

But before I do, I did this:

ZOkvAC6.png

Eve Rover landed on Eve to do some science. This wasn't the first attempt at the landing though, not by a long shot- despite only reaching 3km/s at most, the re-entry heating on this was worse than hitting the Beyond Home analog (Hydrus) with a 3.5x rescale (2.7x relative to Kerbin as Rhode is smaller) at more than double the speed.

The rover's first transmissions combined with a steady trickle of data from the Gilly Base did bring in some science, as did recovering the Sub Lab off the coast of KSC when its experiments were done:

aAQnHya.png

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.