[1.12.X+] ColdWarAerospace

L0ck0n

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, absolutely love this mod... good to see the newest parts added. The F-16 parts and S1Mk3 parts have quickly become essential in my ksp install, along with the other parts too. I've been putting them to good use:

BoVi2TD.pngRWshezy.png96BFRn2.pngCX2eGSA.jpgyrf01VT.png

The S1Mk3 Parts have lent themselves to other birds too, especially helpful that they are the only ones that are scaleable:

jyQlbt1.jpgqKzgj3q.jpgIBYYZHG.png

Basically this mod has been one of the most useful tools in my arsenal for replicating these awesome planes. Thank you for the quality work. One question/recommendation tho: two seater F-16 and MiG-29 cockpits would be absolutely fantastic to have.

Other then that,  keep up the fantastic work!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I'm having problems with the Fulcrum cockpit. I feel like it produces too much lift that everytime I slightly tap the W key, it pulls all the way up until I stall out. I tried putting balance weight on the cockpit, lowered flap response, everything. But it will always stall. Any ideas on how I can combat this? 

9 hours ago, CrackHead said:

Hey! I'm having problems with the Fulcrum cockpit. I feel like it produces too much lift that everytime I slightly tap the W key, it pulls all the way up until I stall out. I tried putting balance weight on the cockpit, lowered flap response, everything. But it will always stall. Any ideas on how I can combat this? 

It might not be the cockpit. Have you used the Centre of Mass and Centre of Lift tools in the Space Plane Hanger to see how they are aligned in comparison to each other? If your COL is too far forward that causes just that problem. On a performance jet, most times you want the COL just behind the COM for quick turning but for more stable flying you want the COL further back. Have a look at some of the stock designs too, using the tools to get an idea of how they are balanced. I have made many replicas of real world jets, and getting the balance right with these tools is essential. Also look at your Centre of Thrust. If it is too low on the plane then that can cause that problem too. Take note of the angles of your control surfaces as they also factor in.

Edited by ColdJ

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Have you used the Centre of Mass and Centre of Lift tools in the Space Plane Hanger to see how they are aligned in comparison to each other?

Also may be not a CoL problem.  I have many planes with long and flat cockpits flip out of control at high angles of attack. Stock COL indicator doesn't include body lift (light blue lines with F12), only the lift from lifting surface modules (blue lines). Body lift is calculated based on drag cubes and some cockpits create a lot of it at high AoA. When a usually stable plane suddenly flips out of control i see a huge light blue line shooting from the cockpit.  Wings do not provide enough lift at high AoA to counterbalance it so adding more wings doesn't help a lot. My solution is to find a flat tailpiece with similar behavior or add something flat that creates a lot of drag at high AoA like a flat radiator panel or structural panels. 

16 hours ago, ColdJ said:

It might not be the cockpit. Have you used the Centre of Mass and Centre of Lift tools in the Space Plane Hanger to see how they are aligned in comparison to each other? If your COL is too far forward that causes just that problem. On a performance jet, most times you want the COL just behind the COM for quick turning but for more stable flying you want the COL further back. Have a look at some of the stock designs too, using the tools to get an idea of how they are balanced. I have made many replicas of real world jets, and getting the balance right with these tools is essential. Also look at your Centre of Thrust. If it is too low on the plane then that can cause that problem too. Take note of the angles of your control surfaces as they also factor in.

Yes, I have made sure that the CoL is behind the CoM, even making the CoM on the same area of the main wings, I tried putting leading edge slats on -75 AoA% yet I lose control and do an unplanned cobra with a bit of tailspin afterwards. I can't prevent it by turning afterburners on either, I just spin faster than Kerbin. 

2 hours ago, CrackHead said:

Yes, I have made sure that the CoL is behind the CoM, even making the CoM on the same area of the main wings, I tried putting leading edge slats on -75 AoA% yet I lose control and do an unplanned cobra with a bit of tailspin afterwards. I can't prevent it by turning afterburners on either, I just spin faster than Kerbin. 

Ok. Then try this. Inside the configuration file "Fulcrum_Cockpit.cfg" put 2 forward slashes in front of the module for the lifting surface as in this example.

//MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLiftingSurface
        useInternalDragModel = False
        deflectionLiftCoeff = 1.0
        dragAtMaxAoA = 0.1
        dragAtMinAoA = 0.03
    }

That will cause the configuration to ignore that module and not treat it as a lifting surface. if that is not enough then also put 2 forward slashes in font of the DragCube, so that the game recalulates it purely on shape. Like this.

// DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default,4.832,0.540975,1.345,4.832,0.5397,1.345,1.523,0.15675,5.796,1.523,0.6093,4.822,6.901,0.693675,0.5487,6.901,0.558825,1.204, 0,0.6558,-0.354, 2.5,5.712,1.304
    }

Don't delete anything ,just the 2 forward slashes so that those parts are ignored. and then save and close.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

when you come back, can you please add a cargo bay like the MK3S1 in APP, but for the Blackhawk cockpit? as well as a new variant for the Blackhawk cockpit that adds the thing on the the opposite side of the refueling probe on the PAVE hawk?

Edited by Kerbal410

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! Im back. I was very busy this year with my life but managed to find some time for ksp xD. Here is new update. As promised: Il-76 cockpit, other new parts, fixed interiors (US cars), better textures for ground vehicles (added ambient occlusion) etc.

ou6bmvU.pngAeJCHU8.pngWjfiHXW.png

For more pics:

https://imgur.com/a/0U9wciQ

Edit: Plans for next update: Better texture for C-141 cockpit and high-quality IVA, more fixes for F-16 and Mig-29 cockpit, C-141 wings.

If you like my work:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=H5C3NFZC4H5DJ

Edited by L0ck0n

I'm trying to download this mod but I'm having issues. First I tried to do with with CKAN, but it says  InvalidModuleFileKraken due to file length mismatch. And when I download directly from spacedock, I get "Unexpected end of archive" in winrar. What might be causing this?

59 minutes ago, mazer924 said:

I'm trying to download this mod but I'm having issues. First I tried to do with with CKAN, but it says  InvalidModuleFileKraken due to file length mismatch. And when I download directly from spacedock, I get "Unexpected end of archive" in winrar. What might be causing this?

Sounds like a bad file upload

7 hours ago, mazer924 said:

Fixed, new version 0.5.1. Everything looks fine now.