Real World Sci-Fi Mod Collection

boribori

The goal is to create a real world semi realistic sci-fi mod collection with the focus on (but not limited to) achieving off world self sufficient bases.

It will probably be in the form of a "mod" (Real Solar Fiction) containing patches to glue everything together, based on my old project SpaceBori’s resource patches.

I am not a developer, nor a graphic designer and I don't want to do work that has already been done. So the project should not be so realistic that it becomes too complex.

For now we'll have 2 forks. One depending on Real Fuels and the other on Rational Resources. Both combinations will need to be tested and everything can still change.

We're starting with RSF+RF. Full Dependency and compatibility list will be on GitHub

(Compatible, Needs some patches, Incompatible)

Incompatible:

I don't want to do this alone and just for myself. So who's interested in playing (more or less) realistic career sci-fi KSP? And who wants to help put this together?

Github: https://github.com/codebori/RealSolarFiction

Discord: https://discord.gg/kA6BQVD

Known Issues:

• [] "DMagic Orbital Science" is incompatible with LRTR's Kerbalism Config
  • [] "OhScrap!" overlaps with Kerbalism functionality
  • [] SXT LV-405 Vanguard still has Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer for its additional RCS engine
  • [] "Restock" Oscar B tank volumes are inconsistent with the stock one
  • [] Procedural Part Tanks are to big at the start and too small later on
  • [] TantaresSP Zircon RCS Series require Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer

To Do

• [] Write installation instructions:
    • [] Dependencies:
      • [] Kerbalism -> Kerbalism LRTR Config
    • [] Configuration:
      • [] Turn off Real Fuels or Kerbalism ignition limit
  • [] Make "DMagic Orbital Science" compatible with LRTR's Kerbalism Config
  • [] Suggest more configuration options for "OhScrap!" to turn of some functionality
  • [] Move Airplane parts (Stock and from mods) around in the Tech Tree (mainly earlier)
  • [] SXT LV-405 Vanguard still has Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer for its additional RCS engine -> write patch and submit it to RealFuels-Stock
  • [] Fix Oscar B tank volumes: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/196996-real-world-sci-fi-mod-collection/&do=findComment&comment=3862324
  • [] Make sure there are ullage motors available early in the tech tree
  • [] Remove the Size restrictions from PP tanks, leave only the volume related upgrade path
  • [] Fix TantaresSP Zircon RCS Series require Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer and submit it to RealFuels-Stock

Changelog

Before there was order:

• Adapted LRTR KCT config to allow for faster build time with recovered parts. -> RSF_KCT_Presets.cfg
  • Kerbalism built-in antennas not sending data -> seems intentional
  • Added early (propellor) plane mods -> SXT Continued, KAX?, Airplane Plus
  • Fixed fairing sizes (currently in career only smallest fairing when bigger parts already available) -> RSF_TT.cfg
  • Fixed procedural tank sizes -> RP_Tree_ProcSizes.cfg
  • Added mod for early LRTR tech tree for FAR -> Aerodynamic sounding rockets etc. -> CNAR-V2
  • Fixed no tank type selection for any tank except the procedural tanks. -> RP_PartHacks.cfg
  • Pressurized tanks (Service module) when you get pressure fed engines. -> RP_PartHacks.cfg & RP_Tree_ProcSizes.cfg
  • Fixed EVA Fuel (monoprop -> hydrazine)

Initial post:

• Real world solar system -> Real Solar System (RSS)
  • Scaling for RSS-> Realism Overhaul is great, but way too complex and focused on history. I am about to try Less Real Than Real (LRTR). Are there other alternatives?
  • Real world fuels -> Real Fuels is awesome but might be too complicated. I have been having great difficulties writing patches to make it compatible with other mods that use different fuel systems. Does this project need all those fuels and all the functionality? What would be the alternative? Which fuels do we need?
  • Life support, health, communication, etc -> Kerbalism? I have been using TAC-LS, Remote Tech and Kerbal Health, etc. for years but maybe it's easier to use one mod that combines it all.
  • ISRU -> Can we patch the stock one, or do we need something more advanced?
  • Planetary base systems -> Create patches where necessary for as many mods as possible.
  • Offworld ship construction -> Extraplanetary LaunchpadsNot So SimpleConstruction (NSSC)Global Construction? Is there something more realistic, or would it be easy to patch them into something more realistic?
  • Modern Tech Tree.
  • Any suitable (parts) mod.

Edited by boribori
added changelog from github

As author of LRTR there are a couple of things to note:

• It has preliminary support for the RealFuels-Stock which seems to work, although I never did a full review.
  • It DOES NOT have ISRU support (yet).  I don't think it would be super hard to implement, but because the mod is stolen from based on RP-1, which removes it, it doesn't have it. 
  • It has a KerbalismConfig for it.  It also supports Snacks!  It doesn't support any other life support mods (yet).
  • It uses the RP-1 tech tree.  This does a good job of following historic progression but is completely different from the stock tree.  This of course causes problems for any mod expecting the stock tech nodes to exist.  The mod patches unsupported parts to put them somewhere sensible in the RP-1 tree but this doesn't always do a great job.
  • Most stockalike parts work fine and many are 'officially' supported.  However some parts use custom DLLs which don't always play well with rescaling, and as noted placement in the tech tree can be a little suboptimal for unsupported parts.
  • It's 1.10 'ready' meaning if you dare, you can use the bleeding edge Kopernicus build and it should work.  Some of the pre-req mods are out of band, but it worked reasonably well in tests.
  • Nearly all of the components (Tech Tree, Contracts, Science Parts, etc) can be enabled or disabled so it's pretty easy to use a different mod for these things.

Overall it was intended as a light weight alternative to RealismOverhaul and RP-1.  My goal was to support as many KSP mods as it can but avoid 'bespoke' hard-coded solutions as much as possible.  Support patches are normally pretty simple and usually designed to make the mod work with as little change as possible.

I'm still working on it and am happy to add support for mods if folks are interested.   And of course if you wanted to take a crack at adding ISRU support (or anything else you wanted to add), that would be fantastic.

Thanks for your input @Pehvbot!

My current install (on 1.10) includes:

I just started a new career game, so it will take me some time to figure out how everything works together.

So far LRTR seems like a very good fit.

I was a bit worried about the RP-1 tree. I was thinking about a mod so one can choose to start at a later date (2010 for example), if that is at all technically possible. But that does not actually need to conflict with RP-1. (I would not want to simply start with all the tech available, one would have to buy the rights of some instead of researching it for example.)

As for the ISRU, I wrote some patches 2 years ago and Kerbalism adds some interesting stuff as well. The most difficult part here is getting the right numbers, chemistry is not my strongest point.

I think the main problem for me will be Real Fuels, or rather other mods with their own fuel system. So far I've replaced the stock fuels in Mark4 and US2 with Kerosene, Hydrazine and LqdOxygen, I can probably add a few other fuels like MMH and NTO, but it does not seem possible/feasible to add all the different fuels and combinations that the Real Fuels engines need.

@boribori If you will, study my mod Rational Resources. It brings some of the RealFuels flavor, and succeeds Coherent Resource System. It focuses, however, not on the various classical hypergols (MMH, NTO, AZ50 etc) but on Hydrolox and Methalox rocketry (meanwhile treating LFO as Kerolox and MonoPropellant as Hydrazine (N2H4)) and NTR using diverse propellants (LqdCO2, LN2, Water etc), and includes, in its supplemental parts pack, a couple of demonstrator engines (cloned stock parts, yeah) for diverse concepts like (Microwave + Water) Ion, (Metal + OX) hybrid SRB, and NTJ.

Where ISRU is concerned, I don't have the knowledge of, and don't care to make the distinctions of converter types (Sabatier, "metal fuel cooking" etc) and I don't interfere with MKS resource chains except that I replace the Dirt resource with Rock, but I provide for scanning, drilling, scooping (not just crustal), storing and processing of nearly every resource relevant to several of the most popular part and gameplay mods hopefully outside of RO: (Near Future and Far Future; TAC LS; Kerbalism; EL; and some of USI) and relevant to new use cases created by Rational Resources.

There is even an orbital experiment for detecting the resource classification (powered by a template system) of each star and planet you visit, and knowing the classification gives some insight into what resources to expect before you send your SCANsat probes.

If you want to make communication interesting without RemoteTech, consider CommNet Constellation + CommNet Antennas Info + CommNet Antennas Consumptor.

For base-building, try WBI Pathfinder which features inflatable and KIS-powered base pieces (some incredibly large and costly, but all are feature-filled) and wireless logistics with finer control than USI or Simple Logistics. However, it support for life support mods other than Snacks! is up for debate, especially with Snacks! evolving into its own LS + habitation system: Snacks! + Air! + Stress!). Pathfinder may not get along well with Kerbalism so do try it out at least and give feedback.

The WBI mods overall will offer you some nice directions with your sci-fi progression plan.

And try out the OPT suite (Continued + Legacy + Reconfig) instead of Mark IV. OPT is (hopefully) very ready for use in real scale and provides many sci-fi and VTOL engines for spaceplanes. OPT is very compatible with Kerbalism.

And I'll throw this in for (more) shameless self-promotion: :D

Finally, you'll find "modern tech tree" solutions in either of these:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar I had a quick look Rational Resources before, I guess I became allergic even to the name Liquidfuel so I moved on. But if it's just a name I could easily patch it.:) I'll have another more in depth look later today. I'll also have another look at your other suggestions (I tried Pathfinder a few years ago when every base mod made KSP explode).

It is really a shame that @zekew11 dropped Coherent Resource System etc. I was building my mod on top of his back then.

As for LS, if it's not gonna be Kerbalism it will be probably TAC-LS, Snacks is too simplified for me. But Airlines kuisine was on my list of options. Thanks!

@Neil Kermstrong I'll have another look at SMURFF as well, but so far LRTR seems to be doing a good job.

5 hours ago, boribori said:

I guess I became allergic even to the name Liquidfuel

I can totally relate. I was there. :D For a time, while helping Angel-125 develop his Classic Stock resource system, I saw the opportunity to replace LiquidFuel with RHK-1 (inspired by RP-1 fuel) where appropriate, while other engines would be changed to Propellium (Hydrogen equivalent) and Raptium (refined natural gas, Methane equivalent). It's really aggravating that LF is so highly abstracted and used both in heavy hydrocarbon engines and in hydrogen engines like the stock NERVA. To counter this, even today, is why I encourage hydrolox rocketry, nerf Ore's presence, and hype up Hydrates ISRU.

Be my guest and change the display name of LiquidFuel. That alone helps a lot while saving you the effort of trying to patch nearly everything that holds, makes or uses it.

Rational Resources has helped to drive the production and use of some Hydrolox and Methalox mods and their ecosystems so I'm satisfied.

I updated the initial post and added a To Do list:

• Playtesting
  • Fix engine ignitions interaction between Kerbalism and Real Fuels -> Turn off RF ignition limit with a patch?
  • Adjust early LRTR tech tree for FAR & Real Fuels etc.: Aerodynamic sounding rockets, ullage motors etc.
  • Adapt LRTR KCT config to allow for faster build time with recovered parts.
  • Fix Kerbalism built-in antennas (is this a compatibility issue or a Kerbalism bug?)
  • Find early (propellor) plane mod.

Any pointers/suggestions/additions/help is welcome :)

@Pehvbot Do you know anything about Real Fuels tank types not showing in tanks, except for procedural tanks (in career and sandbox, so no tech tree issue)? Is this something LRTR removes, or should I look elsewhere? EDIT: I asked in the RO discord and it's probably something added by RO. I will try to write a config for LRTR when I have time. (At least RP-1 contracts included with LRTR assume you can set the tank types to sounding payload, so LRTR does need this I think.)

Also in career all the fairing sizes lag behind the pod, tank, engine, etc sizes. Is this something LRTR does?

Edited by boribori

5 hours ago, boribori said:

@Pehvbot Do you know anything about Real Fuels tank types not showing in tanks, except for procedural tanks (in career and sandbox, so no tech tree issue)? Is this something LRTR removes, or should I look elsewhere? EDIT: I asked in the RO discord and it's probably something added by RO. I will try to write a config for LRTR when I have time. (At least RP-1 contracts included with LRTR assume you can set the tank types to sounding payload, so LRTR does need this I think.)

Also in career all the fairing sizes lag behind the pod, tank, engine, etc sizes. Is this something LRTR does?

I did a quick test and Real Fuels did work for me, so I'm not sure what is going wrong.  Make sure you install the RealFuels-Stock mod, that's where all the magic happens.  Having said that, I did no real testing other than launching a few rocket designs as a 'sanity check'. 

Ev5Pjs1.png

If you have both RO installed, my guess is it's an issue between RO and RealFuels-Stock.  LRTR by itself doesn't change tank types.  I don't think RO and LRTR will work together in any case, they will wind up stepping on each other's toes way too much.

LRTR has a specific 'sounding payload' part in the science section (really just a shrunk and repurposed Science Jr.).  I don't know if Real Fuels will add sounding payload to regular tanks but the idea is you get through sounding rockets as soon as possible.   Sounding payload is nearly obsolete by the time you have liquid fuel tanks and engines.

Yeah, fairings are a step above tanks on purpose.  The idea is that fairings are harder than tanks to create, so they require a bit more engineering.  If you look at the history of fairings, the fairing size always appeared somewhat after the tank size.  It's also for a bit of play balance.  In my play throughs the timing seems to work about right in terms of historic milestones.  You can definitely adjust this if you like though.  For example, adding a .cfg file with this will moved the 1.25 fairing 'down' one tech level.

@PART[fairingSize1]:AFTER[zLRTR]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree]
{
	%TechRequired = postWarMaterialsScience
}

The materials science branch of the tech tree is:

postWarMaterialsScience
earlyMaterialsScience
materialsScienceSatellite
materialsScienceHuman
materialsScienceAdvCapsules
materialsScienceLunar
materialsScienceSpaceStation

1 hour ago, Pehvbot said:

I did a quick test and Real Fuels did work for me, so I'm not sure what is going wrong.  Make sure you install the RealFuels-Stock mod, that's where all the magic happens.  Having said that, I did no real testing other than launching a few rocket designs as a 'sanity check'. 

Ev5Pjs1.png

If you have both RO installed, my guess is it's an issue between RO and RealFuels-Stock.  LRTR by itself doesn't change tank types.  I don't think RO and LRTR will work together in any case, they will wind up stepping on each other's toes way too much.

I mean this:
i7a5oRq.png

Apart from changing the Tank Types, RF + RF-stock works perfectly on my LRTR install. I don't have both RO and LRTR installed together. :D I have a separate install with RO-RP1 to compare stuff.
The Tank Types do work on procedural parts, but the procedural part tanks can hardly be resized. Did you move the proc part sizes, or is something wrong in my install?

Also early in the tech tree, at Basic Rocketry you get the LV-1 Ant, which needs pressurized tanks that are not yet available without the option to change the tank types.

LRTR has a specific 'sounding payload' part in the science section (really just a shrunk and repurposed Science Jr.).  I don't know if Real Fuels will add sounding payload to regular tanks but the idea is you get through sounding rockets as soon as possible.   Sounding payload is nearly obsolete by the time you have liquid fuel tanks and engines.

My play-through is going way slower. I also need more control (= LFO rockets with gimbal) to do the more difficult sounding rocket contracts.

Yeah, fairings are a step above tanks on purpose.  The idea is that fairings are harder than tanks to create, so they require a bit more engineering.  If you look at the history of fairings, the fairing size always appeared somewhat after the tank size.  It's also for a bit of play balance.  In my play throughs the timing seems to work about right in terms of historic milestones.  You can definitely adjust this if you like though.  For example, adding a .cfg file with this will moved the 1.25 fairing 'down' one tech level.

{
}

postWarMaterialsScience
earlyMaterialsScience
materialsScienceHuman
materialsScienceLunar

I guess this is again a FAR thing, but at least half of the available pods and stuff are impossible to get into space without a fairing. I guess I would need to move it to materialsScienceSatellite.

Thanks!

I tried some config files to fix some of the issues:

It partly worked, but something disabled MechJeb, at first glance I do not see the connection so this might take some time. (I left a :FOR[RP_0] statement in there by accident)

Edited by boribori
fixed MJ issue

3 hours ago, boribori said:

I tried some config files to fix some of the issues:

It partly worked, but something disabled MechJeb, at first glance I do not see the connection so this might take some time. (I left a :FOR[RP_0] statement in there by accident)

Good info.  The tank type and procedural part fixes should be pretty easy to roll back into the mod.

I think I've been changing too many different things at the same time, or got confused about what I was testing. But for some reason the procedural parts cannot be resized any more in my early career game.
I guess it has something to do with the order the patches are loaded, and I thought  RSF/RP_Tree_ProcSizes.cfg had to override LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg. I tried adding :FINAL to no avail. I eventually even removed LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg with no effect. So what is overriding RSF/RP_Tree_ProcSizes.cfg ?

Shouldn't this just make all sizes available from the start?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralPart]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralShape*],*
	{
		%techRequired = start
	}
	@TechRequired = start

@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		!TECHLIMIT,* {}
		TECHLIMIT
		{
			name = start
			diameterMin = 0.01
			diameterMax = Infinity
			lengthMin = 0.01
			lengthMax = Infinity
			volumeMin = Infinity
			volumeMax = Infinity
		}
	}
}

I am at a loss, what am I missing here?

19 hours ago, boribori said:

I am at a loss, what am I missing here?

I *think* part of the problem is the Procedural Parts changed how they upgrade sizes.  It now uses the built in UPGRADES feature instead of TECHLIMIT.  As far as I can tell TECHLIMIT no longer does anything.

It's still rough around the edges but I've updated the proceduralparts.cfg file to use UPGRADES instead.  If you want that true bleeding edge experience you can download it and give it a shot.  Note:  You need to go into the R&D facility and 'buy' each upgrade.  Currently the costs are crazy high for some upgrades.

https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/blob/master/GameData/LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg

EDIT:  With a little more digging, it looks like RealismOverhaul uses this file to remove upgrades and free up the size limits:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralParts/blob/master/GameData/ProceduralParts/Parts/ZOtherMods/RealismOverhaul.cfg

You can use this to avoid having to deal with upgrades.  Just change BEFORE[RealismOverhaul] to BEFORE[zLRTR] and remove LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg

Edited by Pehvbot

7 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

I *think* part of the problem is the Procedural Parts changed how they upgrade sizes.  It now uses the built in UPGRADES feature instead of TECHLIMIT.  As far as I can tell TECHLIMIT no longer does anything.

It's still rough around the edges but I've updated the proceduralparts.cfg file to use UPGRADES instead.  If you want that true bleeding edge experience you can download it and give it a shot.  Note:  You need to go into the R&D facility and 'buy' each upgrade.  Currently the costs are crazy high for some upgrades.

https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/blob/master/GameData/LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg

EDIT:  With a little more digging, it looks like RealismOverhaul uses this file to remove upgrades and free up the size limits:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralParts/blob/master/GameData/ProceduralParts/Parts/ZOtherMods/RealismOverhaul.cfg

You can use this to avoid having to deal with upgrades.  Just change BEFORE[RealismOverhaul] to BEFORE[zLRTR] and remove LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg

It works! Thanks!

Pehvbot, can you add :NEEDS[!RealSolarFiction] to LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg? I will add :FOR[RealSolarFiction] to my patches. Or is there a better way to remove RTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg without physically removing it?

One one hand I understand that it might not be realistic to be able to create huge tanks in early career, but on the other hand you won't create them anyway, since you don't have powerful enough engines yet. So from a coding perspective it is much easier to enable all sizes from the start and I don't think it will affect gameplay in any way.

And, unrelated to the above, I noticed the progression of the Restock Oscar fuel tanks seem a bit off: B is visually twice the size off A, but the volume is only 1.5 times. While C is 4 times A and D is 2 times C:

OWwjHUP.png

I haven't looked at any code yet, I will do that later, but if anyone can tell me where to start that would be helpful. Is it RealFuels, Restock or LRTR rescaling that would be responsible?

7 hours ago, boribori said:

It works! Thanks!

Pehvbot, can you add :NEEDS[!RealSolarFiction] to LRTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg? I will add :FOR[RealSolarFiction] to my patches. Or is there a better way to remove RTR/support/proceduralparts.cfg without physically removing it?

One one hand I understand that it might not be realistic to be able to create huge tanks in early career, but on the other hand you won't create them anyway, since you don't have powerful enough engines yet. So from a coding perspective it is much easier to enable all sizes from the start and I don't think it will affect gameplay in any way.

And, unrelated to the above, I noticed the progression of the Restock Oscar fuel tanks seem a bit off: B is visually twice the size off A, but the volume is only 1.5 times. While C is 4 times A and D is 2 times C:

OWwjHUP.png

I haven't looked at any code yet, I will do that later, but if anyone can tell me where to start that would be helpful. Is it RealFuels, Restock or LRTR rescaling that would be responsible?

I should have suggested using :AFTER[zLRTR] instead of :BEFORE[zLRTR] to remove all the UPGRADE info. That way you don't need to worry about what LRTR is doing, it will just get overwritten so you don't need to remove the proceduralparts.cfg file.

My guess is the tank inconsistency is coming from RealFuels.  The Oscar B has its own issues in stock, since it carries about twice as much fuel as it should based on volume, but I think RealFuels ignores the default numbers and inserts a 'volume' they assigned. 

LRTR just increases the volume RealFuels adds by assuming it's a cylinder with both length and diameter increased by 1.6x.  In theory that makes it almost exactly 4x increase in volume but I use 3.4 instead to get a more real world mass fraction. 

Thanks to great help from Nathankell I managed to edit the KCT_Presets so that recovered parts now reduce build times: RSF_KCT_Presets.cfg

I'm however afraid that the formula I used for the normal parts will not work well for Procedural Parts:

EffectivePartFormula = ([PV]*[RV]*[MV]*[C])/(1 + [I])
ProceduralPartFormula = ([PV]*[RV]*[MV]*[C])/(1 + [I])

I will dive into this later, but if anyone already knows how to do this that would be great!

More info:

RP-0 KCT integration #36

KCT wiki Preset Formulas and Math Parser Documentation

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/blob/master/Source/KerbalConstructionTime/Utilities/Utilities.cs

On 9/28/2020 at 7:20 PM, Pehvbot said:

{
}

postWarMaterialsScience
earlyMaterialsScience
materialsScienceHuman
materialsScienceLunar

I think that the mod Procedural Fairings for Everything messes with the LRTR tech tree. I saw this in my log while looking for the reason that the fairings are not where LRTR puts them:

[LOG 16:15:46.610] Applying update LRTR/tree/parts/Squad/@PART[fairingSize2]:FOR[zLRTR]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree] to Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize2.cfg/PART[fairingSize2]
[LOG 16:15:51.397] Applying delete ProceduralFairings-ForEverything/ModSupport/SquadFairings/!PART[fairingSize2]:FOR[zPFFE] to Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize2.cfg/PART[fairingSize2]

Does this line remove the fairings after LRTR places them in the tech tree?

Edited by boribori

4 hours ago, boribori said:

I think that the mod Procedural Fairings for Everything messes with the LRTR tech tree. I saw this in my log while looking for the reason that the fairings are not where LRTR puts them:

[LOG 16:15:46.610] Applying update LRTR/tree/parts/Squad/@PART[fairingSize2]:FOR[zLRTR]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree] to Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize2.cfg/PART[fairingSize2]
[LOG 16:15:51.397] Applying delete ProceduralFairings-ForEverything/ModSupport/SquadFairings/!PART[fairingSize2]:FOR[zPFFE] to Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize2.cfg/PART[fairingSize2]

Does this line remove the fairings after LRTR places them in the tech tree?

Yeah, it looks like it removes the stock part and reinserts a procedural fairing using the same name.  It's just a guess, but it might be an ordering problem.  If LRTR ran after PFFE it would likely place it correctly.  If that's the problem the fix is theoretically simple, just add another 'z' at the beginning of LRTR (i.e. FOR[zzLRTR]).  The problem of course is if some other mod relies on the current ordering of LRTR, then it breaks that mod.   It's also a giant pain to change because it's used across the entire mod and even in the KerbalismConfig.  A local fix for you would be to simply re-insert the parts using a custom script.

@PART[fairingSize1]:AFTER[zPFFE]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree]
{
	%TechRequired = earlyMaterialsScience
}

@PART[fairingSize2]:AFTER[zPFFE]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree]
{
	%TechRequired = materialsScienceAdvCapsules
}

@PART[fairingSize3]:AFTER[zPFFE]:NEEDS[LRTRTechTree]
{
	%TechRequired = materialsScienceLunar
}

42 minutes ago, Pehvbot said:

The problem of course is if some other mod relies on the current ordering of LRTR, then it breaks that mod.   It's also a giant pain to change because it's used across the entire mod and even in the KerbalismConfig. 

I was afraid it was like this, I was thinking of somehow changing PFFE to run before all other mods, but I ended up uninstalling it and listing it as incompatible with most mods.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, boribori said:

I've been toying around with the LRTR Tech Tree a bit and added some patches for Airplane Plus, it's not finished yet but any input is welcome: RSF_Tree/RSF_AirplanePlus.cfg

Looks good so far.  In general you can just push most airplane stuff to the 'supersonic' branch of the tech tree somewhere.  I've basically ignored aircraft and I'm pretty sure the breaking ground parts need to be better arranged as well.  If you see things that look out of place feel free to bring it up.  One RP-1 specific issue is that the earliest cockpits should not be able to go above about 10,000m for very long (no pressure suits, pressurization).  They should have @MODULE[ModuleUnpressurizedCockpit] added to them.  Right now it's being done in the LRTR/parts/capsules.cfg but really it should be in the specific LRTR/support/ files.  I'll probably fix for the next release.

6 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

Looks good so far.  In general you can just push most airplane stuff to the 'supersonic' branch of the tech tree somewhere.  I've basically ignored aircraft and I'm pretty sure the breaking ground parts need to be better arranged as well.  If you see things that look out of place feel free to bring it up.  One RP-1 specific issue is that the earliest cockpits should not be able to go above about 10,000m for very long (no pressure suits, pressurization).  They should have @MODULE[ModuleUnpressurizedCockpit] added to them.  Right now it's being done in the LRTR/parts/capsules.cfg but really it should be in the specific LRTR/support/ files.  I'll probably fix for the next release.

I don't have the DLC's (and I probably won't ever get them) so I can't do anything there. I'll stick to the mods.

Would it be possible to do something like this?

@PART:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],#TechRequired[start]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleUnpressurizedCockpit
    }
}

I am quite disorganised and even with the few patches I have it's already a mess. :)  I need to reorder my GameData/RSF folder structure. I guess most of it will eventually be integrated in the respective mods themselves, but until that time I need to keep it somewhere. Is there a mod folder structure best practice guide somewhere?

Also I will need to know which patches will be integrated in which mods themselves eventually, I guess most patches could go into Pehvbot's LRTR, but some might change the gameplay in a way that is different from LRTR's vision. I guess I''ll need to separate compatibility fixes from gameplay changes first.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.