Circular solar panels

File:Orion spacecraft 2009.jpg - Wikimedia CommonsLucy (spacecraft) - WikipediaAbout the Northrop Grumman Cygnus | NASA

The last suggestion I made in the forums was comets and Rosetta parts and that was added in 1.10! So I am thinking what else would be cool to have in the game. I thought of "what was one thing I always wanted since it's so hard to make in KSP?"

Circular Solar Panels

It's one of the most efficient ways to store large solar panels. And is such a cool origami style to expand solar panels. And also there is no medium solar panel, it goes from small to huge.

So I would be thinking

-large circular solar panels

-small circular solar panels

-medium circular solar panels 

-Cygnus cargo styled parts and maybe Orion too just to make the aesthetics easier too.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Near Future Solar already provides this, and more

I know some have already said this. But I like to keep my KSP stock, which is why I would love stock circular solar panels. Because usually (and no offense to mod makers) whenever squad makes new parts they usually are better quality than the mods.

At least that's my view of it.

Ok sure it looks cool I guess.

But there's no good reason for gameplay purposes to introduce these (IMO). We have the small solar panels for small amounts of power and the super large panels for more station or base sized stuff. If you need more power ona  small scale, add a couple more panels. Adding these circular panels dont add anything gameplay wise other than this neat form factor.

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I know some have already said this. But I like to keep my KSP stock, which is why I would love stock circular solar panels. Because usually (and no offense to mod makers) whenever squad makes new parts they usually are better quality than the mods.

Have you looked at the new Mainsail model recently? All joking aside, Nertea's work (and others' in the case of Restock at least) usually surpass the quality afforded by Squad parts. I can, however, totally understand your desire to keep your game stock.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ok sure it looks cool I guess.

But there's no good reason for gameplay purposes to introduce these (IMO). We have the small solar panels for small amounts of power and the super large panels for more station or base sized stuff. If you need more power ona  small scale, add a couple more panels. Adding these circular panels dont add anything gameplay wise other than this neat form factor.

Don't quote me on this but I heard somewhere that they are more efficient than regular. Again, need to find the source on that.

45 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Have you looked at the new Mainsail model recently? All joking aside, Nertea's work (and others' in the case of Restock at least) usually surpass the quality afforded by Squad parts. I can, however, totally understand your desire to keep your game stock.

Again that's my view of it at least. I said usually, some mods are actually quite mindblowing.

14 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Because usually (and no offense to mod makers) whenever squad makes new parts they usually are better quality than the mods.

Really?  I find Nertea's part quality to be way better than stock.  Still, I can understand your desire to remain stock.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:52 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

People say that to me all the time, butfew know that I play console, so no mods for me. I'd love to have that for stock game as well.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, Entropian said:

Near Future Solar already provides this, and more:

NFA is copyrighted by National Flight Academy of Pensacola Florida. Please refrain from using NFA unless talking about the academy.

Edited by Mikenike

A deployable circular solar panel that produces 8 charge / sec would be nice. With 8 charge/second you can basically run one ion engine on full thrust per solar panel.
Imagine you want 17 charge per second (2 ion engines), you would have to fit 10 of the little solar panels on the craft! But even one XL panel is too much! Sometimes 10 panels just doesn't fit.

16 hours ago, Mikenike said:

NFA is copyrighted by National Flight Academy of Pensacola Florida. Please refrain from using NFA unless talking about the academy.

At best, they have trademarked it, as you cannot "copyright" a three letter abbreviation (otherwise you would have violated their copyright twice in your response..) . And using "NFA" in any context that is not flight academies does in no way violate a trademark...

4 hours ago, cfds said:

At best, they have trademarked it, as you cannot "copyright" a three letter abbreviation (otherwise you would have violated their copyright twice in your response..) . And using "NFA" in any context that is not flight academies does in no way violate a trademark...

Thats what I meant

On 9/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, Mikenike said:

Ik, but it says NFA in it.

Are you serious or trolling? There are multiple "NFA" organizations. There are less than 18,000 unique ways to arrange 3 letters.

Maybe you should change your user name because Nike makes sneakers, and there was a series of missiles with the same name.

I suppose we can't refer to this game as KSP because someone might think we're impersonating the Kentucky State Police or Kansas State Police ;) Context matters.

Drawing back on topic. Circular Solar panels seem to be more advance and expensive. So that might be another thing to consider about when adding them into the game. I would love to see medium size but large sizes as well.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:44 AM, Mikenike said:

Just as an aside, names cannot be copyrighted in US law. Logos can be trademarked.  https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-forms.html#business

Incidentally, if you Google NFA, the first hit you get is the National Futures Association. https://www.nfa.futures.org

Edited by Klapaucius

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.