[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

7 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Also, is the new layer supposed to load block by block replacing the old low res/non-tesselated surface

My terrain system removes and replaces the terrain within 800m from the craft with the new Parallax terrain. Tiles at a distance of 1200 metres are replaces with the original terrain again. I do this to maximize performance, as the parallax terrain has a much higher vertex count. You shouldn't be able to see this happening 

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

My terrain system removes and replaces the terrain within 800m from the craft with the new Parallax terrain. Tiles at a distance of 1200 metres are replaces with the original terrain again. I do this to maximize performance, as the parallax terrain has a much higher vertex count. You shouldn't be able to see this happening 

My first run the original terrain was everywhere (non-parallax) and slowly getting replaced square by square with the parallax terrain as my rover moved around. Inside the new parallax region I could see the zone of high detail forming like a wake around me about a quarter square ahead.

The second time I loaded it the default terrain was properly replaced by your parallax terrain everywhere so I think the 1st run just bugged out a bit. But, are you sure that the regions which come to high detail fall back to low detail once you leave? Figured I would ask since it seemed that way when it was bugged.

EDIT: I've been flying cruise missles close to the ground to put as much strain on the GPU as possible and it seems to run fine (I'm getting my ~60 fps in 4k still !!). I do still experience crashes though, but mostly when I go from rocket flying to the space center or vice versa. This may be a problem with the cutting edge kopernicus build or something else

Edited by mcwaffles2003

3 minutes ago, The_Arcitect said:

This is a really good planet texture replacer.

I can't wait for this to come out for stock or RSS!

Depending on my university workload, I will be making textures for the stock game over the next few weeks :) 

11 minutes ago, plakman said:

was testing it with these mods

uSwhnyI.png

but the moment i add beyondhome everything stops working.

this is on the latest ksp

You downloaded the wrong Kopernicus.

You're looking for Kopernicus, not Kopernicus Expansion.

Kopernicus will also come with its dependency, "ModularFlightIntegrator", which you must also install. Remove Kopernicus Expansion and download this: https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases/download/UBE-release-36/KopernicusBE_1101_Release36.zip

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Absolutely phenomenal! I was wondering about this mod's future implementation. Any chance for JNSQ getting it?

That's up to the guys over at JNSQ. They would need to make textures and configs for Parallax to work on their planets

My landing gear is having some issues on planets like hydrus, is it Parallax or just another Kopernicus issue...

Also whenever I land on planets, my ships keep hovering over the surface, not by much but about half a meter always

Sorry English is not my native language

Not sure whether these are related to Parallax - but:

- Whenever kerbals start running (Shift +walk) , a huge lag hits. becomes fine as soon as I release shift key to return to normal walking. There's some spark like effects on each step on the ground and so i thought may be Collision Fx  or Reentrry Particle effect could be causing this?? Will update after removing those.

- In Home Planet, my Kerbals appear to be waist deep in the terrain.

- The landed ship seems to be hovering above the terrain of Lua (haven't been to any other body yet), like not exactly touching the surface when it lands.

11 minutes ago, rlq said:

Whenever kerbals start running (Shift +walk) , a huge lag hits. becomes fine as soon as I release shift key to return to normal walking. There's some spark like effects on each step on the ground and so i thought may be Collision Fx  or Reentrry Particle effect could be causing this?? Will update after removing those.

This doesn't have anything to do with Parallax

12 minutes ago, rlq said:

In Home Planet, my Kerbals appear to be waist deep in the terrain

I'll be adjusting the tessellation offset in the next update. Note that by design, you cannot collide with the bumps in the terrain - the terrain is still flat.

13 minutes ago, rlq said:

The landed ship seems to be hovering above the terrain of Lua (haven't been to any other body yet), like not exactly touching the surface when it lands.

Same as the above answer - You cannot collide with the extra detail, but I will be adjusting the displacement maps so that the "ground" level looks right

11 minutes ago, Jackaroo0505 said:

Any ETA on stock? If at all? I so need this to hold me over till KSP2

It takes a long time to make textures. I'm also at university, so a lot of my time is now spent elsewhere. I will be working on stock textures, but don't expect an ETA from me

Okay, I finally worked it out.

To use it with SD, you need to increase "groundTiling" in the SD config

(My rescale factor is 3.2, and "groundTiling=10" worked for me. Maybe the actual value is 3.2^2=10.24 (That would make sence), but I'm okay with 10)

Spoiler

yd5Z397.png

Edited by MorePortal

On 9/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Gameslinx said:

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

I noticed this image was loading slowly for me, and it turns out it's 5907x960 pixels (4.2 MB)! Any chance you could replace it with a scaled down version, especially if you're going to use it in your forum signature?