[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

2 hours ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

can my system run it?

i5 7300HQ at 2.5ghz

8GB RAM

GTX 1050 4GB VRAM

If it works on a 1060, it can probably work on a 1050 to some degree. It can probably be run on yours depending mostly on your monitor's resolution.

Wow. This looks super awesome, unfortunate that the tessellation extent will need to be limited to prevent too much clipping as you can make really awesome looking terrain features with tesselation.

In the last 4-5 years there have been some solutions that allow for performance friendly calculation of collisions with tesselated meshes but the ones I'm aware of were built in CryEngine and rely on RK and offloading the RK collision handling to the GPU. Stuff the would likely be completely impossible to implement in KSP by a modder lol.

Wish you luck and really hope Galileo will consider incorporating this into JNSQ once it's ready.

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Your CPU will breathe a sigh of relief. Your GPU will have something to do that isn't just "Scatterer" any more :) 

As an estimate, I did a test with a few friends yesterday. On a GTX 1060, and shader settings maxed out, he was averaging 30-60fps with the other visual mods installed. I'd say that's a success :) 

That's very reassuring, I should be able to run it in 1080p. Btw, what resolution was your friend using on the gtx 1060?

Glad I don't need to upgrade my gpu!

3 hours ago, catloaf said:

That's very reassuring, I should be able to run it in 1080p. Btw, what resolution was your friend using on the gtx 1060?

Glad I don't need to upgrade my gpu!

He was running at 1080p. I imagine I'll learn and optimize the mod more along the way, but tessellation has always been difficult to render. I limit it to a range of 99 units (although the option exists to increase / reduce this in the config, along with some other settings)

3 hours ago, catloaf said:

Will this allow reflective terrain scatters, and more importantly water, because if so I will cry years of joy!

The shader does not apply to terrain scatters or the ocean

11 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

He was running at 1080p. I imagine I'll learn and optimize the mod more along the way, but tessellation has always been difficult to render. I limit it to a range of 99 units (although the option exists to increase / reduce this in the config, along with some other settings)

What is tessellation?

2 hours ago, catloaf said:

What is tessellation?

Tessellation is the process of dividing a triangle (3 vertices) into more triangles without any gaps. This is done on the graphics card.

After tessellation, I use a displacement map to push the new vertices up or down perpendicular to their original, flat surface.

When people mention tessellation, they often refer to both of these steps. I hope that helps :)

17 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Tessellation is the process of dividing a triangle (3 vertices) into more triangles without any gaps. This is done on the graphics card.

After tessellation, I use a displacement map to push the new vertices up or down perpendicular to their original, flat surface.

I used to think tessellation was a just a repeating pattern in a texture (of any shape), more repeats meant greater performance. I guess I learnt something new!

@Geonovast This thread can now be moved to Add-On Releases, if you can :). Thanks!

Release notes:

• Documentation for modders is in the works
  • If you have any bugs, please post your log along with any screenshots if necessary, along with steps to reproduce the problem
Edited by Gameslinx

Just now, Gameslinx said:

@Geonovast This thread can now be moved to Add-On Releases, if you can :). Thanks!

I'm not Geo, but I saw this, so I moved it for you. Congratulations on the release of this beautiful-looking mod, and thank you for all the hard work and effort that went into it. Even though I'm likely never going to be able to play it on my machine, I can still appreciate art when I see it.

30 fps on home planet.

40-50 on fury

1050 ti @ 4GB vRAM, i7 8700, 16 GB ram

so scatterer+eve actually hit more than parallax

for the 1050 ti users here.

Edit: video (fps counter left upper corner)

Edited by ssd21345

1 hour ago, ssd21345 said:

1050 ti @ 4GB vRAM, i7 8700, 16 GB ram

Awesome. I've set that as the minimum spec for now. Optimizations will be made as development continues. If you want more performance out of the mod, there's a config called ParallaxGlobal.cfg in the Parallax/Config folder where you can adjust some of the settings. Thanks for the video :) 

This looks amazing!

Quick question about specs:

(Note that this is a laptop, so idk if that affects anything)

My CPU will be fine (i7)

My RAM is borderline (8 gigs)

My GPU is the problem: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 - I looked up the specs on it and it looks very similar to the recommended GPU, the only differences are the pipelines (about half as many for my GPU), the core speed (the 250 is faster), and the bus width (64 bit vs. 128 bit). My MX250 has 6 g of VRAM.

Screen resolution: 1920x1080 

Also will this be compatible with existing visual mods? i.e. Scatterer and Spectra

Edited by Kerminator1000

I'm not getting anything different at all when I install this, then I noticed the post said you need configs? Am I missing something? At one point the post says "As of the time Parallax is released, it will be available for stock," but then in the exact same bullet point it says, "Currently, only Beyond Home supports Parallax. There will hopefully be a config for the stock planets in the future." Then again at the end it says, "Please note, as of release, the only configs that support this mod are those provided by 'Beyond Home', so be sure to install that here."

...so, can I use this with stock planets, or no? Do I need configs? Where would one find these configs? Do I have to have Beyond Home installed? If so, can I still access my stock solar system? Just confused, but it looks amazing.

I mean, it says it right there in the text you pasted. Twice, even.

Currently, only Beyond Home supports Parallax. There will hopefully be a config for the stock planets in the future.

Please note, as of release, the only configs that support this mod are those provided by 'Beyond Home', so be sure to install that here.

So no, it does not. Yet.

Edited by Gojira