[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 10/20/2020 at 5:34 AM, Gameslinx said:

I have done some optimizations and managed to increase the performance by over 2x!

NmR5djy.png

Note: Getting 60fps here on Duna!

Just saying, if an Alpha Dev build were to perhaps become a thing, I’d be VERY happy to do some testing for you ;)

@Gameslinx I'm just shocked by the beauty you are doing. Wanna ask trees, boulders,  fallen asteroids  to planet (stock quest) , UFO at Kerbin polar, Kerbin Pyramids, Moon arches... can also be parallax ? and all kinds of asteroids and comets there too?  or it only can be applyed to planet ground?

PS : icy region of planets can be half transparent or some kinda of transparent effects, ice cracks etc? like ice at Baikal lake?

Edited by *MajorTom*

1 hour ago, *MajorTom* said:

@Gameslinx I'm just shocked by the beauty you are doing. Wanna ask trees, boulders,  fallen asteroids  to planet (stock quest) , UFO at Kerbin polar, Kerbin Pyramids, Moon arches... can also be parallax ? and all kinds of asteroids and comets there too?  or it only can be applyed to planet ground?

PS : icy region of planets can be half transparent or some kinda of transparent effects, ice cracks etc? like ice at Baikal lake?

I would need to write a different shader to work with objects, because currently it's made to work with planets which are a different beast entirely.

Transparency is possible but not in the way you'd expect - Without anything under the terrain, you'd just see through the entire planet. I already do specular reflections and true reflections, which is the best approximation to ice I can currently get. Unfortunately, in space, there's not usually very much to reflect!

8 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

It's right in the OP. You need the bleeding edge version of Kopernicus:

Thanks! It worked! But im not sure if this is normal, but kerbals and ships kinda just float over the surface. Does anyone else experience this?

7 hours ago, BobTheKerbal said:

Thanks! It worked! But im not sure if this is normal, but kerbals and ships kinda just float over the surface. Does anyone else experience this?

That's normal. I'll be going through the planets and adjusting the offsets accordingly for the next update so that the visible ground is slightly higher

For Laythe, I wanted to keep it as true to what I think the planet should have looked like - Hints of microbial life, and lots of sand!

I did some work on the shader and added Emissivity, which allows part of the terrain to glow during the dark. These are the results, with bioluminescent life, on Laythe:

nyM1zfN.png

BLyP5Kx.png