[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

@Gameslinx

Congrats on the (pre)release! I’m sure a ton of people have been eagerly awaiting this.

I have a question for end users such as myself. I am currently playing Kerbal with a large degree of visual mods - AVP with scatterer and EVE, planetshine, and TUFX. As far as AVP goes as well as a few other visual overhaul packs that have their own ground textures, what would be the best way to integrate Parallax? 

Basically I’d love to enjoy the awesome new Parallax groundside visuals while still keeping Kerbin and the worlds beyond looking top notch, without causing compatibility issues. As a prerelease I understand achieving that will be partly on the community, but any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, lemon cup said:

@Gameslinx

Congrats on the (pre)release! I’m sure a ton of people have been eagerly awaiting this.

I have a question for end users such as myself. I am currently playing Kerbal with a large degree of visual mods - AVP with scatterer and EVE, planetshine, and TUFX. As far as AVP goes as well as a few other visual overhaul packs that have their own ground textures, what would be the best way to integrate Parallax? 

Basically I’d love to enjoy the awesome new Parallax groundside visuals while still keeping Kerbin and the worlds beyond looking top notch, without causing compatibility issues. As a prerelease I understand achieving that will be partly on the community, but any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Parallax overrides other visual mod ground textures. Those mods will need to add support for Parallax if they want their textures to be shown instead!

Will this be fixed?

2fGQ9f7.png

I wouldn't mind if the kerbal sinks a bit, but floating makes less sense... Can I edit this from a config or something?
I also am having these:

[EXC 20:35:59.120] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ParallaxShader.Shader5.Update () (at <564f638bb8894ee9a4574cd65de15754>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(It started killing my fps too at that moment, I was falling from space, and opened my parachutes when it happened, and it only did once for now)

Also another thing is I am seeing a lot of black lines at the distance (terrain) that appear and dissapear. It is somewhat better with 9x antialiasing. But they are still there.

Other than that, I really like this mod. I hope you can adress these issues. 

Edited by Agustin

3 hours ago, Agustin said:

I wouldn't mind if the kerbal sinks a bit, but floating makes less sense...

In the Parallax_StockTextures/ParallaxTerrain.cfg file, add the line "displacementOffset = 0.1" to Kerbin's config node, and see if that helps. You may need to adjust the value, but that will raise the visual terrain. I'll be addressing any floating / sinking in the next update

[EXC 20:35:59.120] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I will investigate. Is it spammed, or just once?

Also another thing is I am seeing a lot of black lines at the distance

Could be Scatterer. I'll need a screenshot!

That Exc was spam. It was all over the same. Here you have some of them.

Spoiler

[EXC 20:35:58.713] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
[EXC 20:35:58.736] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 20:35:58.738] Unpacking 3
[EXC 20:35:58.757] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:35:58.779] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:35:58.807] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

As for the Black lines, here is a video: (watch it in HD)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11crcGySZcYqf_kslfpc2fbOHlLvInXeH/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Agustin

18 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Can you try without Scatterer and let me know if they are still there? Thanks :) 

I am doing it now. And you may be right. Its a scaterer issue. I opened ksp without scattrerer, and I have some lines now, but only 2 or 3 and they are white now.
So I might post that video to the scatterer thread.

Also, displacementOffset = 0.2 was best.  :)

Edited by Agustin

Hey all, I made some JNSQ configs for the stock texture pack linx is distributing in beta on Patreon (eventually will be free).

For now, subscribe to his patreon (you should still do this but don't have to) download and get the stock textures for Parallax.  Rename the ParallaxStock folder "ParallaxJNSQ"  Then put everything in this zip inside that folder, replacing all:

http://glacialsoftware.net/KOP_DEBUG_BUILDS/ParallaxJNSQ.zip

You now have a "JNSQ ready" stock textures set.  Keep in mind beefy computer is needed, Recomend RTX 2070 or better really. (my 2080 Super does 40-50FPS in this screenshot at 4K, so just barely playable, obviously lower resses help).

screenshot194.jpg

EDIT:  Patreon no longer required, you can just use the stock release that is public.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, Agustin said:

Why RTX 2070 ? I am running parallax with GTX 960 4GB (i5-3330) and it runs fine.

Because JNSQ massively increases the draw distances.  The bodies have approximately 2.5x more radius.  It really tanks performance.  I'm looking at optimizations but that's where it is now.

3 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

sorry if this has been asked already, but does this mod work with the Spectra mod? It's an environmentalvisualenhancement type mod.

thanks!

I guess you can use it except the terrain textures it adds. You could try deleting those and leaving the other stuff.

25 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

sorry if this has been asked already, but does this mod work with the Spectra mod? It's an environmentalvisualenhancement type mod.

thanks!

It works with Scatterer and Eve (and any visual pack that uses them, so that includes Spectra) :) 

Just now, Gameslinx said:

It works with Scatterer and Eve (and any visual pack that uses them, so that includes Spectra) :) 

Thanks, I just tried to load them up but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there anything I need to do to Spectra to get it to mesh well with Parallax?  I'll see if I can get a screenshot

1 minute ago, dresoccer4 said:

Thanks, I just tried to load them up but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there anything I need to do to Spectra to get it to mesh well with Parallax?  I'll see if I can get a screenshot

Just install Spectra normally, and if you install it correctly it'll work fine with Parallax :) 

Its terrain textures will not work, because Parallax overrides them, but the rest will

8 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Just install Spectra normally, and if you install it correctly it'll work fine with Parallax :) 

Its terrain textures will not work, because Parallax overrides them, but the rest will

Thanks for your reply. OK to test this out I removed all mods except Parallax and Spectra. I loaded them up and put a rocket on the pad, and this is what I got:
is this what it's supposed to look like?

screenshot6.png

1.jpg

12 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Thanks for your reply. OK to test this out I removed all mods except Parallax and Spectra. I loaded them up and put a rocket on the pad, and this is what I got:
is this what it's supposed to look like?

You are missing either Parallax_StockTextures or Parallax itself!

You need both ;) 

8 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

You are missing either Parallax_StockTextures or Parallax itself!

You need both ;) 

i pasted my GameData folder for this very reason, are you able to view it?  Do I have the hierarchy right?

Edited by dresoccer4

7 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

i pasted my GameData folder for this very reason, are you able to view it?  Do I have the hierarchy right?

My mistake, it missed me!

You need Kopernicus (for 1.10, use the bleeding edge kopernicus) https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195699-191-1101r-t-bs-kopernicus-unified-bleeding-edge-branch/

23 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

My mistake, it missed me!

You need Kopernicus (for 1.10, use the bleeding edge kopernicus) https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195699-191-1101r-t-bs-kopernicus-unified-bleeding-edge-branch/

yep that was it, much success! thank you. excited to explore the solar system now in all its glory

screenshot7.png

Edited by dresoccer4

5 hours ago, Agustin said:

I am doing it now. And you may be right. Its a scaterer issue. I opened ksp without scattrerer, and I have some lines now, but only 2 or 3 and they are white now.
So I might post that video to the scatterer thread.

Also, displacementOffset = 0.2 was best.  :)

Can you show me the differences with a displacementOffset = 0.2 and without it? Just I'm not download parallax yet and probably will have this problem.