[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

This looks absolutely breath-taking, but I am having a weird issue with the mod.

Idk how to get a ksp.log file, but I have screenshots of what I see when I open up a save game. As far as I know, I have all the correct things installed. (KopernicusBE, Parallax, and Paralax Parallax_StockTextures)

Basically, it looks like there are no textures loading. and also all the solar panels have stopped working.

If anyone else has encountered this, or knows a fix, please let me know.

Screen Shot 1 

Screen Shot 2

Screen Shot 3

EDIT: I Figured out the problem.

I noticed others were having the same issue.

YOU NEED TO HAVE BOTH PARTS OF KOPERNICUS BE

Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator

without the latter, it will make the textures appear unloaded and broken

Hope this helps anyone else who has this issue.

Edited by Walzer the Honest
I figured out the problem

So I think I am on to something.  As I said before, I installed through CKAN.  Here's the thing--CKAN did not install Kopernicus as a dependency.  I have no Kopernicus directory in my GameData.

I went out and got the newest version of Kopernicus and manually installed it, and now when I launch KSP I get a status message saying "Parallax dependency satisfied."

BUT I also get a warning from Kopernicus that it is not compatible with this version of KSP, and please not to open saves.  I installed the version posted to their github 14 days ago and am running the latest version of KSP.

It's definitely something mucky with the Kopernicus install.  Could you post a link to your known good & compatible copy of Kopernicus somewhere?

EDIT

Installed Kopernicus BE manually.  Works now.  Woohoo!

Edited by jjmartin

Amazing work, truly bring KSP to a next level :D

@Gameslinx I've found an issue tho, every time I open the map view the log get spammed with NRE. It didn't seem to break anything, the texture are still there and the log spam stop the moment I exit map view. Happen both on the ground and on orbit. The tracking station is not affected.

Here is a log on a clean install, NRE starts at line 7592

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu6m452dinlduwn/KSP.log?dl=0

Again not a big issue as it don't seem to break anything.

58 minutes ago, 2808erik said:

The normal map in: Parallax_StockTextures\Dres\PluginData\mid01.dds

is corrupted in your github upload.

Parallax_StockTextures\Gilly\PluginData\low.dds is corrupted as well.

Those files are unused, but it is odd that there are 0kb versions anyways.

I really love the idea of this mod and didn't think this was even possible. But I noticed that up close the textures seem to be lower resolution than the recently reworked ones by Squad (at least on the Mun and Duna). Is there a plan to add a higher resolution texture pack?

Edited by mor128

On 11/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, Gameslinx said:

Parallax for the Stock planetary system is now available for early access on Patreon!

This will help me find any bugs that have slipped by me, and it will allow me to make any improvements before I unleash it on the rest of the world!

I tried to find the Patreon link.  Thats all that matters.  I tried.  Could have been easier to find and donate though with standard link or instructions in the original post.. but as it is..  it wasnt easy enough to search Patreon for "Gameslinx" and since no success after these tries,  I gave up.

3 hours ago, Walzer the Honest said:

YOU NEED TO HAVE BOTH PARTS OF KOPERNICUS BE

Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator

without the latter, it will make the textures appear unloaded and broken

Uh... you always need ModularFlightIntegrator, no matter what you're using Kopernicus for. That's why it's listed as a dependency.

I just installed beyond home and all the mods around it and i have a problem with the visuals of the 1.9 version of beyond home but i think the problem lies within parallax, I have searched 6 hours straight now and cant find anything.  The ground is all white. Does anyone know what can fix this because im losing my mind and kinda giving up.

This is a truly impressive piece of work! I got it working with my existing modlist (incl. AVP, EVE, and Scatterer) without issue after realizing that the bleeding edge version of Kopernicus was required.

11/10, would wait an hour for a gigabyte zip of textures to download again.

Edited by OutInSpace

Welcome to the forum @legojoshua12, your log file has been snipped from your comment because large posts like that, even if they are in a spoiler cause thread loading issues and  make the thread difficult to  navigate.  Please upload your log file to  a hosting service like google docs or dropbox and then link to them here in the forum. We apologize for any inconvenience.

6 hours ago, Maxxim said:

I tried to find the Patreon link.  Thats all that matters.  I tried.  Could have been easier to find and donate though with standard link or instructions in the original post.. but as it is..  it wasnt easy enough to search Patreon for "Gameslinx" and since no success after these tries,  I gave up.

It's literally in the first main post with all the info. Look for the big Patreon button.

6 hours ago, Maple Kerman said:

Uh... you always need ModularFlightIntegrator, no matter what you're using Kopernicus for. That's why it's listed as a dependency.

He means the weird bundling system on Kopernicus BE where at least, until tomorrow when I plan to change it, included it's own ModulerFlightIntegrator and refused to install if you already had it installed.

It was an old work around for when MFI wasn't listed as 1.10.1 ready, which has been fixed.  Tomorrow I'll fix the install process as well.  That should REALLY prevent confusion. ;)

Edited by R-T-B

On 11/14/2020 at 3:57 AM, R-T-B said:

It's true, the scatter code is insanely inefficient, and honestly, I don't know how to fix it, and I've got so much to do it is very low on the priority list to figure out.  Still, not wanting to leave user hanging, I offered a work around some few releases ago in the form of the "culling range" parameter.  You can find it as the parameter "ScatterCullDistance" in GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg.  Basically it's a range in meters and scatters outside that range around the vessel aren't rendered.

I believe it's set to something approximating stock by default, probably 10000 (10km) which even kills me with my 5ghz  OC'd i9 9900k (Kopernicus just can't keep up with the stock scatter density and range even on high end cpu due to inefficient replacement code).  I've heard lowering it to 5000 (around 5km visible scatters) makes it have virtually no performance impact on modern hardware vs no scatters, you might try this.  I personally run at 7500 but I feel that might be a bit much for most users who don't OC their CPUs.

I'm assuming it's because the scatter code is singlethreaded in Kopernicus or something and ends up competing with the physics thread, but I can't really deal with that now until I understand it further.  Got too much on my plate right now.  So the work around parameter will have to do.  I think next release I will ship it as 5000 meters by default, even if not technically correct, it's better than lagging to death.

@stephm

On 11/14/2020 at 1:58 AM, Gameslinx said:

If you have terrain scatters enabled, turn them off. They are a huge CPU draw for some reason, and playing with them on is next to impossible!

hi !, thank for the info.

i did some testing, without parallax and with terrain scatters activate set a 100 , I have 40fps so it's good, that's my reference, and i have lots of trees !!!!, in 4k.

with parallax without scatter terrain the fps are very good too, very close to my reference ! but i need trees ...

after testing several value, setting terrain scatters to 40 give me a descent result and trees too . also set ScatterCullDistance to 7500 . following the advice of  @R-T-B

DoTHcikl.jpg Full res

now i have 20 fps has this place before I had 12 fps 
PSUo7mrl.jpg Full res

now i have 20 fps too has this place before I had 8 fps
QuM7Op2l.jpg Full res

good here !

good I lose some fps but I still have my trees enough provides on the ground.

however, I still have errors in the log file, System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object appears when I switch to map mode repeat and stop back on the plane, flying plane has an altitude of 2000 meter, with terrain scatters disabled same error.

the log file of this screenshot : KSP.log

steph.