[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Hello

Thank  you very much for this mod and all this work, it's really awesome ^^

Everything work fine, but I have a terrible log spam for nullref.

It happen only when I go on map view while in flight mod (not happen in the tracking station).

You can fine here my log : https://we.tl/t-aJgrb8kS7R

I have lot of mods but it seem that this log spam is related to parallax

If you have an idea about how correct this I take it ;)

Thanks

21 hours ago, MrZurkon said:

With the stock pack for Parallax, i'm sent into an infinite loading loop after loading all the parts and stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbkm_vVoMJOvx2vvjL6hQlije1BJcnCf/view?usp=sharing

https://imgur.com/Sobx8fv

Is an SSD recommended with this mod? I've only got my old spinning platter hard drive :D.

[ParallaxChecker] 	Exception: Parallax has failed to meet dependency: Parallax (Stock Textures)

Install the stock textures! It doesn't look as if you were hit by an infinite loading screen - Parallax will not cause that problem, it'll just throw an exception

20 hours ago, 2808erik said:

The normal map in: Parallax_StockTextures\Dres\PluginData\mid01.dds

is corrupted in your github upload.

Parallax_StockTextures\Gilly\PluginData\low.dds is corrupted as well.

These are unused and are left over from Photoshop's DDS exporter plugin not correctly initializing the file when the saving was cancelled. I'll be deleting those in the future. They cause no harm to your game - they're junk files I forgot to delete!

19 hours ago, Li0n said:

Here is a log on a clean install, NRE starts at line 7592

I've noticed this recently, thank you for reminding me. I'll look into it for the next update. I have a lot of stuff on my hands at the moment

18 hours ago, mor128 said:

Is there a plan to add a higher resolution texture pack?

These textures are all 4k. The reason why the textures aren't as "detailed" is because they're tiled at a lower frequency. This is because the tessellation is limited by how many vertices are nearby, and unfortunately KSP planets are slightly too big for it to be effective that close up. I will try and add a detail texture when close up, because I agree with you

15 hours ago, CEO of China said:

I just installed beyond home and all the mods around it and i have a problem with the visuals of the 1.9 version of beyond home but i think the problem lies within parallax, I have searched 6 hours straight now and cant find anything.  The ground is all white. Does anyone know what can fix this because im losing my mind and kinda giving up.

Use Parallax 1.0.1 with Beyond Home please, until I update it

14 hours ago, stephm said:

hi !, thank for the info.

i did some testing, without parallax and with terrain scatters activate set a 100 , I have 40fps so it's good, that's my reference, and i have lots of trees !!!!, in 4k.

with parallax without scatter terrain the fps are very good too, very close to my reference ! but i need trees ...

after testing several value, setting terrain scatters to 40 give me a descent result and trees too . also set ScatterCullDistance to 7500 . following the advice of  @R-T-B

DoTHcikl.jpg Full res

now i have 20 fps has this place before I had 12 fps 
PSUo7mrl.jpg Full res

now i have 20 fps too has this place before I had 8 fps
QuM7Op2l.jpg Full res

good here !

good I lose some fps but I still have my trees enough provides on the ground.

however, I still have errors in the log file, System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object appears when I switch to map mode repeat and stop back on the plane, flying plane has an altitude of 2000 meter, with terrain scatters disabled same error.

the log file of this screenshot : KSP.log

steph.

I've noticed the culler system sometimes spits out exceptions with scatters enabled.  It's not harmful, but I will try to do away with the logspam at least with a try catch or similar in today's release on the bleeding edge (coming soon).

EDIT:  Oh wait, you said WITH scatters disabled same error?  Then you are experiencing something different, and likely parallax related, sorry for the confusion.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi,

I was looking forward to playing with your great looking mod but I cannot seem to get it to work. 

I tried on the KSP install I usually play with and also tried with a clean install (both 1.10.1). The game loads, but I can immediately see some parts missing in the terrain. The sea shows underneath the runway, half of Minmus is missing, ... I haven't checked any other planets. After a couple of minutes, the game simply crashes.

My mod list, with Kopernicus Bleeding Edge and the last release of Parallax from Github. I tried with and without scatterer, wasn't sure if it was needed. Same result though. 

Image%202020-11-16%20at%203.09.58%20PM.p

And my KSP.log 

I am on a Mac and I read in the thread that this might not be supported. Still worth a shot to see if we can debug / fix this though.

My specs:

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

The Radeon Pro 5500M should be good enough, since the 960M is listed as a minimum requirement. 

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, carrots said:

I am on a Mac and I read in the thread that this might not be supported. Still worth a shot to see if we can debug / fix this though.

Unfortunately without access to a Mac or Linux PC I haven't been able to support those platforms yet, so the shader will not work properly unless you're on a Windows PC

If you could get a screenshot of what's happening, me or someone else may be able to figure out what's happening.

By the way, your GPU does not meet the shader model 5.0 requirement, which is required for the tessellation stage.

Can you try forcing Direct3D 11 on the game? You're running OpenGL. There's a launch target argument that you can use, but I'm not sure how to do it on Macs

Edited by Gameslinx

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Can you try forcing Direct3D 11 on the game? You're running OpenGL. There's a launch target argument that you can use, but I'm not sure how to do it on Macs

DirectX is a Windows only API unfortunately. :( 

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Unfortunately without access to a Mac or Linux PC I haven't been able to support those platforms yet, so the shader will not work properly unless you're on a Windows PC

If you could get a screenshot of what's happening, me or someone else may be able to figure out what's happening.

By the way, your GPU does not meet the shader model 5.0 requirement, which is required for the tessellation stage.

As @Poodmund mentioned, directX is a Windows-only API. For laughs, I tried running it with `-force-d3d11` but yeah, no difference, as expected.
I also tried running it with `-force-gfx-metal` to force it onto Mac OS' Metal API but that didn't make any difference. 

If my GPU doesn't meet the shader model 5.0 requirement, should I even bother? :lol: Below a picture of KSC with some tiles missing, and a picture of Minmus... 

Thanks!

image%20(17).png?v=093af805214f93e6eeab1

image%20(7).png?v=90a0a3964bc6731adb87f9

Hey Linx, another super awesome mod from you :D  I have a question tho, will this work on any lower versions than 1.10 ? If yes then what is the lowest version this will work on ? I remember reading some comment about that but i dont remember what exactly ( it was similiar to my question ).

13 minutes ago, Kikin8034 said:

Hey Linx, another super awesome mod from you :D  I have a question tho, will this work on any lower versions than 1.10 ? If yes then what is the lowest version this will work on ? I remember reading some comment about that but i dont remember what exactly ( it was similiar to my question ).

No lower than 1.9, and I don't know if it actually works on 1.9.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, Motokid600 said:

Whats a good cloud/visual pack to pair with parallax on the stock system? Should I just install a basic EVE config or has any of the visual packs been updated to use this?

Anything from the the default EVE configs (BoulderCo) to Astronomer's Visual Pack will look just fine.
I personally use Stock Visual Enhancements, and it looks magnificent with Parallax (I currently have Parallax uninstalled, though; running both Parallax and SVE more or less kills my PC :P).

Edited by Maple Kerman

@Gameslinx I just installed Parallax on 1.10.1, along with the RTB Bleeding edge Kopernicus.  I also installed the Parallax Stock Planet Textures.

On the Mun, at the following coordinates:

82-13-44 S

103-02-24 E

There is a big depression where there is a monolith, one  of the anomalies in the game.  This is near the south pole, and it seems that something is messed up showing the planet surface, the surface is in pieces which don't align to each other, see the image below.  I removed Parallax & the Parallax Stock Textures, reloaded the game and the surface was in one piece

iXN3wQw.png

And a much higher view:

NtSxjQW.png

5 hours ago, DjQue said:

Hello! Sharing issues with jjMartin and EritoKaio... I'm confused on how to install the file labled: "ModuleManager.4.1.4ddl" which you recommended to JjMartin. Other than that, could other mods conflict with this one? 

You need to install the Bleeding Edge version of Kopernicus

On 11/15/2020 at 1:37 AM, Morphisor said:

It's literally in the first main post with all the info. Look for the big Patreon button.

Oh you mean this one?  I must have been blinded by the awesome Parallax visuals and IN TOO MUCH OF A HURRY to go and try it out...   

I missed it, but now donating a nice little surprise to Gameslinx, my apologies..  look at your paypal for Maxxim  :)

By the way, your ad for patreon contains yoda words in the sentence.. near the bottom..

might look at the typo where it says "if think you have", seems like missing a word, it is..  yoda.

Donations are by no means asked for, but are greatly appreciated. Thank you for downloading the mod or if you're a long time supporter, thank you for sticking with it throughout its development :)

Paypal Patreon Logo by laprasking on DeviantArt

Support

Once the mod releases, if think you have encountered a bug you will only get support if you submit screenshots or your KSP log file. Without evidence or logs, I will not help you.

Edited by Maxxim