[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

14 minutes ago, Astronomer said:

I smell potential for 8K textures hehe

No need! The pixel density on the screen at any time from the 4k textures is always greater than a 4k monitor's resolution right up until you're very close to the ground. I have a little something for that next update with the addition of detail textures :)

Nice to see you around, Astronomer 

@Gameslinx as long you are in development, could i please ask for compatible with this small mod for footprints, when not to hard.

or have u a tip for the modder how he can achieve the functionality with your mod.

[1.9-1.10.1] Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er

Spoiler

yWVgFAQ.png

thanks for all the beautifuel worlds  &  happy christmas to all

BK

4 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

@Gameslinx as long you are in development, could i please ask for compatible with this small mod for footprints, when not to hard.

or have u a tip for the modder how he can achieve the functionality with your mod.

[1.9-1.10.1] Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er

Reveal hidden contents

yWVgFAQ.png

thanks for all the beautifuel worlds  &  happy christmas to all

BK

I'll look into it for another update, but it will be extremely hard (not sure if it is at all possible) due to tessellation and the new collisions system I'm adding

3 minutes ago, stardestroyer said:

This mod don't work for me. I just get "flat" terrain without texture on Kerbin's surface .  This was on previous game version (1.10) 

Do I have to modify something in options?

I tried on max settings. I was also using Scatterer and EVE.

Sounds like you're missing Kopernicus Bleeding Edge.

Please make sure you read the install instructions: https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation#installation

So I did a few quick tests and I find that the FPS impact is quite big and I'm just wondering if that's normal or not. I have a test save with the Kerbal-X sitting on the Kerbin launchpad and I went from 152 fps (vanilla) to 83 fps (parallax). No other graphical mods. My specs are: i7 6700k and GTX 1070. Log is below if there's something funny going on with my setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T45z_k0k2EE-PiUZVHApHM7rz0c2AlSb/view?usp=sharing

2 minutes ago, abbiii said:

So I did a few quick tests and I find that the FPS impact is quite big and I'm just wondering if that's normal or not. I have a test save with the Kerbal-X sitting on the Kerbin launchpad and I went from 152 fps (vanilla) to 83 fps (parallax). No other graphical mods. My specs are: i7 6700k and GTX 1070. Log is below if there's something funny going on with my setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T45z_k0k2EE-PiUZVHApHM7rz0c2AlSb/view?usp=sharing

How are you flying rockets at 152 fps normally? Do you never yellow clock?

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

How are you flying rockets at 152 fps normally? Do you never yellow clock?

I don't know what yellow clock means. I was actually getting much worse FPS on Mun but I set up my test save like that just to make it easier to compare the performance impact.

Well the GPU will finally have something to do so it can become a bottleneck if your CPU isn't working hard (using 15 part rockets), but in a normal case where your building 80+ part rockets Your CPU will be bottlenecking anyways so GPU performance won't be what's slowing the game down.

Point being, if you play on a normal save with a normal sized rocket you wouldn't be getting near 152 fps anyway.

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Well the GPU will finally have something to do so it can become a bottleneck if your CPU isn't working hard (using 15 part rockets), but in a normal case where your building 80+ part rockets Your CPU will be bottlenecking anyways so GPU performance won't be what's slowing the game down.

Point being, if you play on a normal save with a normal sized rocket you wouldn't be getting near 152 fps anyway.

Ok I understand what you mean, looks like I'll have to do some more testing.

26 minutes ago, abbiii said:

I went from 152 fps (vanilla) to 83 fps (parallax)

It's above 60 - it's fine!

If you're playing on a 60hz monitor you should be playing with Vsync enabled anyway - No reason to go above, it's just extra work for your GPU. It becomes a problem when frames drop below 60

What is your GPU usage when you cap your framerate to 60?

22 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It's above 60 - it's fine!

If you're playing on a 60hz monitor you should be playing with Vsync enabled anyway - No reason to go above, it's just extra work for your GPU. It becomes a problem when frames drop below 60

What is your GPU usage when you cap your framerate to 60?

I am actually on a 144hz monitor, but also I just found out that the real culprit seems to be Planetshine after loading up a "real" save. It seems that setting PS to "High" has some weird interaction with Parallax because I swear it was not running this bad before on High, and I can see a dark rectangle drawn across terrain. PS high: 23 fps, PS medium: 84 fps (and I now understand what "yellow clock" means). Medium works fine so at least I don't have to get rid of it completely.

Anyways thanks for the mod, I've been watching it grow over the past few months and am finally able to try it out myself.

Edited by abbiii

15 minutes ago, abbiii said:

I am actually on a 144hz monitor, but also I just found out that the real culprit seems to be Planetshine after loading up a "real" save. It seems that setting PS to "High" has some weird interaction with Parallax because I swear it was not running this bad before on High, and I can see a dark rectangle drawn across terrain. PS high: 23 fps, PS medium: 84 fps (and I now understand what "yellow clock" means). Medium works fine so at least I don't have to get rid of it completely.

Anyways thanks for the mod, I've been watching it grow over the past few months and am finally able to try it out myself.

Ah, PlanetShine. Yeah, that's a whole can of worms - I don't think it's Parallax interfering with it, it's just a very laggy mod in general

Thanks for the report :)

Edited by Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Hey @Gameslinx, what are the affects, if any, of changing the stock terrain textures? Does making the terrain high quality make parallax higher quality? Also what about ground scatter?

Changing the stock texture quality has no impact on Parallax Bodies. Changing the terrain quality does have an impact and you must keep it set to the highest otherwise the subdivisions in the terrain are too low 

Terrain scatters function as normal however Kopernicus has a critical bug that causes them to sap CPU performance. I recommend having them turned off until that is fixed