[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

FWIW I had the white terrain issue yesterday, caused by incorrect path on linux (I know it should be fixed already but didn't work for me in 1.2.0). Had to fix it by creating a symlink in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/

ln -s Kerbal\ Space\ Program/GameData/ Kerbal\ Space\ GameData

BTW any idea what causes this? Looks like a clash of scatterrer configs

https://imgur.com/a/u6NOakFQucxsBq.png

log: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1OtGfHGeMIwKu1yxT84Yutfol98WGWhZF

Edited by Ondřej20

9 hours ago, Ondřej20 said:

BTW any idea what causes this? Looks like a clash of scatterrer configs

You are on Linux so you're using OpenGL.

In a shader, the shader offsets for OpenGL works differently to DirectX, so for the OpenGL version I had to set the offset very low otherwise the terrain would render underneath other objects. 

Blackrack is working on a version of scatterer that will remove the need for Parallax to use a shader offset, so unfortunately until then, it's recommended that choose either Parallax or Scatterer and don't use them together

On 9/20/2020 at 1:22 PM, Gameslinx said:

As for system requirements, these are for 1080p:

Minimum:

• CPU: Parallax does not have much of a CPU impact, you'll be fine
  • GPU: NVIDIA GT 960M (or AMD equivalent)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Shader model 5.0

Recommended:

• CPU: Parallax does not have much of a CPU impact, you'll be fine
  • GPU: NVIDIA GT 970M (or AMD equivalent)
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Shader model 5.0
20 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I have an AMD r9 390, can I run this or will it turn KSP into a slideshow?

Depends on your other mods

4 minutes ago, Rocketry101 said:

@Gameslinx Hello? Can you please answer this:

Install it and see. That is off topic.

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

Does anyone know about this mod conflicting with Distance Object Enhancement? My DOE planet flairs don't show up unless I remove Paralax from the GameData folder.

Also, is there a way to make the terrain textures remain even at long distances away from the body?

Edited by Codapop

This is a super minor question only if anyone has a free moment..  I just noticed the desert colors are very green/brown.  I got this mod, scatterer, kop, and mj installed.  Anyone know if getting the color back to sand color is a easy change/fix or is it just a new texture?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2363452268

Talking about the terrain around the airfield not the runway obviously.   Again super minor thing.

Edited by mcbmaestro

1 hour ago, ShakeNBake said:

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll ask just to be sure. Since RSS is still on 1.8, Parallax configs for RSS are not likely to happen anytime soon, correct?

Looks beautiful though. :)

That is a better question for the RSS thread. 
I agree it would be nice. 

I was getting terrible performance with  just visual mods installed, and reading back it was absolutely Planetshine that was causing the issue. Things went to regular framerates with it uninstalled.

That said, I do appear to get random forces acting on parked rovers sometimes with collision turned on, with stock non-deployable wheels. They kind of start slowly spinning around for no discernable reason if I pause the game and resume   Ignore this, I am stupid, my joystick needed recalibration

Edited by oniontrain

3 hours ago, Apolio said:

My textures seem to working correctly but seem to be lifted a few feet in the air so part of my ship and kerbals go thru it. 

This is because, as of 1.1 , parallax is only visual, terrain physical height is still stock.

However, the 1.2 beta version includes experimental collisions, and they work pretty well. If you are interested, you can go to github, download it and try it out (it might be buggy though, it is a beta version after all)

Hy guys, I've a problem with collisions in Parallax. The textures works fine, but my ship still goes through terrain. I've the beta version 1.2, ad tested it on Mun (I use Kopernicus with Galaxies Unbound a stellar odissey, this should not modify the stock system in theory...) Can anyone help me? THX

56 minutes ago, giovajoker said:

Hy guys, I've a problem with collisions in Parallax. The textures works fine, but my ship still goes through terrain. I've the beta version 1.2, ad tested it on Mun (I use Kopernicus with Galaxies Unbound a stellar odissey, this should not modify the stock system in theory...) Can anyone help me? THX

are you using deployable wheels? Those didn't work for me at all, I had to use some regular ones that don't deploy

On 1/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, Rocketry101 said:

No errors but im getting 13-10 fps when on the surface of the mun, i dont know if its my vessel or the mod is destorying my GPU.

This is just some basic things I've tried to get this running better on my old vid card.

Navigate to GameData/Parallax_StockTextures/Configs and open IncreaseSubdivisionCount.cfg 

Go down to @Body[Mun]

There is a value under it called "subdivisionLevel"  Try testing out some lower numbers.

You can also try going to GameData/Parallax/Config and try some different detail settings in ParallaxGlobalConfig.cfg

As always when you mess with stuff be prepared to be able to revert to the original settings if something goes wrong.

Edited by mcbmaestro

I'm seeing a lot of little dark pixels/lines near KSC while looking toward the mountains when I install both Parallax and Scatterer. If I install only Scatterer it looks fine, so I wonder if it has something to do with Parallax. Turning on anti-aliasing makes these little pixels into shimmering lines, so it doesn't really fix the problem.

Spoiler

oCaj1rg.png

Edited by abbiii

23 hours ago, abbiii said:

I'm seeing a lot of little dark pixels/lines near KSC while looking toward the mountains when I install both Parallax and Scatterer. If I install only Scatterer it looks fine, so I wonder if it has something to do with Parallax. Turning on anti-aliasing makes these little pixels into shimmering lines, so it doesn't really fix the problem.

Reveal hidden contents

oCaj1rg.png

This is most likely Kopernicus, provided you have land scatters on.  We had an issue with it spawning them in places it shouldn't, and sometimes levitating near the horizon.  It was just patched.

Hi.

First of all, thank you for your work. This mod revived interest in KSP, making a completely new impression of research.

My question is-how much does Parallax (Stock) support simultaneous work with Sigma Dimensions? I get a stutter every two seconds and it goes all the way up to 6.5 km altitude. The SD configuration, however, does not matter - stuttering always occurs when Sigma Dimensions are present. I read the topic, and found a few questions where a very similar situation was mentioned, but without mentioning Sigma Dimensions.

18 minutes ago, Kvaksa said:

I get a stutter every two seconds and it goes all the way up to 6.5 km altitude.

I'm currently investigating this, but it's related to Parallax. Increasing the planet size likely results in this stutter which is why you're seeing it

P.S. I don't know if this will help... However, stuttering seems to be heavily dependent on the physics frame. Disabling the calculation of physics leads to the disappearance of stuttering, and vice versa-the physical warp multiplies its frequency. In addition, I noticed a strange behavior of the devices on the surface. The first offset is always tied to one of the stutters.

GIF2.gif

30 minutes ago, Kvaksa said:

P.S. I don't know if this will help... However, stuttering seems to be heavily dependent on the physics frame. Disabling the calculation of physics leads to the disappearance of stuttering, and vice versa-the physical warp multiplies its frequency. In addition, I noticed a strange behavior of the devices on the surface. The first offset is always tied to one of the stutters.

GIF2.gif

That is very useful. The only thing occuring in the physics frame is the collision code. That helps a lot, thanks!

11 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This is most likely Kopernicus, provided you have land scatters on.  We had an issue with it spawning them in places it shouldn't, and sometimes levitating near the horizon.  It was just patched.

Nah it's still happening with the newest Kopernicus BE. If you ask me it looks more like some kind of texture seams than land scatters misbehaving.