[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Hi!

First of, I wanted to say that I absolutely adore this shader/mod, it really transforms the game into looking absolutely amazing! Awesome job!!

The only issue I have been running into is that there seems to be some funkiness with the collision between the collisions from the shader and the ground.

To name a few examples:

Flags seem to just fall over, when placing something on the ground to assemble a rover with the newest update (and KAS) and the ground tether from MKS/USI/WOLF doesn't seem to be attaching correctly, causing things to sometimes fly into the sky.

There might be some issues I have caused but I would love to continue using it with the collisions because they look and simply are amazing! They add a lot to the game (as mentioned above)

Kind regards,

Yuubari

20 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

I've noticed that having parallax with a rescaled system causes a 1-2 second stutter every 10 seconds or so only on bodies with atmospheres. 

We have a fix for this and a few bug things with rescale (I'd know, I made the pull requests), but the binaries aren't updated yet.

I imagine Linx will have a release fixing them soon.  If you really need it "now" I suppose you can PM me as I have a working version for rescale based on present master sourcecode, but keep in mind, the binaries I'd give you are not official and you can't bug Linx about them.  They'd be "inbetween versions" source code wise and he doesn't want to diagnose that.  Hence them not being public.

@Gameslinx if you'd rather I didn't offer this at all, that's cool too.  Just speak up.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

We have a fix for this and a few bug things with rescale (I'd know, I made the pull requests), but the binaries aren't updated yet.

I imagine Linx will have a release fixing them soon.  If you really need it "now" I suppose you can PM me as I have a working version for rescale based on present master sourcecode, but keep in mind, the binaries I'd give you are not official and you can't bug Linx about them.  They'd be "inbetween versions" source code wise and he doesn't want to diagnose that.  Hence them not being public.

@Gameslinx if you'd rather I didn't offer this at all, that's cool too.  Just speak up.

No no no I don't need it now It's just something I noticed and wanted to report it.

Just FYI everyone, I'm sure Linx will update this soon, but really, don't use bleeding edge except for testing.  It's a beta release, and though once it was the only way to get 1.10+ support, stable has been out for some time now for 1.11.1 and 1.10.1.  Bleeding Edge has got active, buggy experiments going on and is intended for testers.

Edited by R-T-B

On 2/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, R-T-B said:

Just FYI everyone, I'm sure Linx will update this soon, but really, don't use bleeding edge except for testing.  It's a beta release, and though once it was the only way to get 1.10+ support, stable has been out for some time now for 1.11.1 and 1.10.1.  Bleeding Edge has got active, buggy experiments going on and is intended for testers.

Ha, imagine being stable. :) 

Parallax 1.2.1

After a month's hiatus, I decided to continue work on Parallax and bring the first non-beta release of 1.2 to you all :) 

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

This is a live release. Please submit issues via GitHub's issues page https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues

Changelog:

Features:

• Added "adaptive" option for 'trueLighting' in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg. This is the most realistic lighting mode.
  • Collisions now work with deployable rover wheels

Changes:

• Reflections can now be enabled/disabled via keyword which should bring a small performance improvement
  • Improved the distLimit calculation for procedural quads which should bring a small performance improvement
  • Updated Mun displacement map to improve the quality (shift from red to green channel to avoid harsh DDS compression)
  • Updated Kerbin displacement map
  • Improved grass on Kerbin and softened the collision map to make it easier to drive over
  • Reduced brightness of KSC ground colour to match the grass colour around the KSC better (not perfect due to the shader difference)
  • Forced the Sun's shadow strength to be 100% (By default, for some reason, it's only 75%)

Fixes:

• Fixed discrepancy between the loading distLimit and the unloading distLimit for procedural quads
  • Fixed stutter on large planets
  • Fixed recalculation of quad subdivision on large planets
  • Fixed collisions not enabling / randomly disabling
  • Fixed collision planes clipping into the ship and causing it to explode when far away from the ground
  • Improved reliability of collisions

Special Thanks

• Thank you to Ondřej Chmelař, Armadous, Michael Armida, Jon Medders, Philipp Schlier, Matthew Tarbet, Raymond Beehler, Kalle Anttila, Robert Griffith Moore, Emmanuel Lnd, Trevor Kollmann, Enzo Roncoletta, Cordell mitchell and Morphisor who are all active Patrons as of February 20th 2021
  • Thank you to Blackrack who has been supporting and, at times, assisting with development since its beginning
  • Thank you to R-T-B who helped fix a large variety of bugs via GitHub.
  • Thank YOU for downloading Parallax.

Just a little warning! Don't know if anyone else had this issue- but I installed this mod, was too intensive, uninstalled it, and it sorta broke my game. I had to completely reinstall KSP to fix the issue. Kopernicus would no longer function at all. If you want more details, I can provide. 

1 minute ago, Taco Salad said:

Just a little warning! Don't know if anyone else had this issue- but I installed this mod, was too intensive, uninstalled it, and it sorta broke my game. I had to completely reinstall KSP to fix the issue. Kopernicus would no longer function at all. If you want more details, I can provide. 

I just uninstalled it - Not happening to me!

2 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Weird weird. Guess I just messed up somehow. 

I'd say you likely removed only one of the two folders it installs.  That can cause issues.  Anyways mod is legit if you have the specs to run it.

8 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

Holy!!! We need to bring photorealistic textures to parts to match the ground now!!! Incredible looking pic, congratulations on your work, truly remarkable!

I am eagerly waiting for RSS configs for this, I know some of the RO folks were working on them :D

Edited by hypervelocity

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I hate to ask, but has this been pushed to CKAN?

The SpaceDock server is currently out of storage space (or so I'm being told when I'm trying to update!) so I'm waiting on that to be fixed, then it'll appear in CKAN

Can somebody try out Parallax with a rover on Minmus?  I've got a small 6x6 using Rovemax S2s (0.2m suspension travel) and I'm getting kicked all over the Lesser Flats, gaining speed with every bounce.  Even with brakes on, I eventually slide into something that tosses it into the air.  I've added a RW and am using MJ to right myself when tossed hard enough, but settling into a static position seems to be a matter of luck.

More, interestingly, I'm able to climb a 20 deg slope without stepping on the gas.  With the RW holding me upright, and my front wheels on the slope, I appear to be getting pushed uphill by the terrain.

I'm using KSP 1.11.1 x64 on Win 10 with Parallax 1.2.1 and KopernicusBE19+R80.

29 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

Can somebody try out Parallax with a rover on Minmus?  I've got a small 6x6 using Rovemax S2s (0.2m suspension travel) and I'm getting kicked all over the Lesser Flats, gaining speed with every bounce.  Even with brakes on, I eventually slide into something that tosses it into the air.  I've added a RW and am using MJ to right myself when tossed hard enough, but settling into a static position seems to be a matter of luck.

More, interestingly, I'm able to climb a 20 deg slope without stepping on the gas.  With the RW holding me upright, and my front wheels on the slope, I appear to be getting pushed uphill by the terrain.

I'm using KSP 1.11.1 x64 on Win 10 with Parallax 1.2.1 and KopernicusBE19+R80.

Asking for what the devs will likely want.

Can you provide the logs (see the first link in my signature), the savegame(s), and the .craft file(s) required to recreate this?  Also, a list of the actions you went through after landing the rover up to experiencing the strange motions.  The logs will list all the mods, so with the savegame and the .craft(s), they should be able to see what happens themselves.

I think this is the sort of thorny context-sensitive bug that will need that sort of analysis to track it down.

29 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Asking for what the devs will likely want.

Can you provide the logs (see the first link in my signature), the savegame(s), and the .craft file(s) required to recreate this?  Also, a list of the actions you went through after landing the rover up to experiencing the strange motions.  The logs will list all the mods, so with the savegame and the .craft(s), they should be able to see what happens themselves.

I think this is the sort of thorny context-sensitive bug that will need that sort of analysis to track it down.

I'll check to see if I've got a dropbox/FTP I can use.  I've been using the free stuff, which is marginal at best for just log text files.  My craft and save game may be problematic as I've got half the Near Future Tech suite installed for the rover, and dozens of others.  It'll likely be faster for me to try again using the Stock Rover/Skycrane craft, which I think uses the same wheels (although I am using ReStock as well).

My initial landing was around 5 deg N, 160 deg W (per MJ and ScanSat coord), which is Lesser Flats.  But that's where I first got into trouble.  I'm currently parked on a hillside, wedged into an Olivine outcrop, to keep from sliding, in the Lowlands to the southwest of those coordinates.  I'll see if I can just Alt-F12 the Stock rover to that location....

Edited by KSPrynk

29 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

I'll see if I can just Alt-F12 the Stock rover to that location....

And I tried this in Sandbox mode and the Stock Rover/Skycrane at coord 5, -160 seems to be much less affected.  I have a suspicion my custom rover has some model collision issues that I'm not seeing.  I don't supposes there's a utility in the forums to visualize these, is there?

Edited by KSPrynk

52 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

I'll check to see if I've got a dropbox/FTP I can use.  I've been using the free stuff, which is marginal at best for just log text files.

I use free Dropbox for all my logs+stuff reports to mod authors, zipped to save space.  I also use it to deliver my Science Checklists, 2nd link in my signature. :)

28 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

And I tried this in Sandbox mode and the Stock Rover/Skycrane at coord 5, -160 seems to be much less affected.  I have a suspicion my custom rover has some model collision issues that I'm not seeing.  I don't supposes there's a utility in the forums to visualize these, is there?