[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

@Gameslinx ah, guess I misunderstood how your mod works. From the looks of it I thought you already do something like that (greatly increasing details around the camera by applying secondary "overlay" heightmap or something like that), but my understanding of such things is very limited.

Anyway, you've achieved amazing results already!

I'm a little sad though that we probably won't see much improvements in that area in KSP2. I was hoping they would go for procedural LODs like in Space Engine or Star Citizen, but seems like terrain will remain the same boring planet-wide heightmap, unfortunately.

Well, the advantage KSP2 has over Star Citizen is that it's somewhat likely to actually be released next year (fingers crossed). 

Making life-sized planets using 32bit floating point is somewhat hard. Making sure they're actually interesting from a gameplay perspective and full of things to do is not currently feasible (IMHO, YMMV). 

And hats off to Gameslinx for actually making the KSP planets much more varied and interesting looking.

24 minutes ago, ArXen42 said:

I'm a little sad though that we probably won't see much improvements in that area in KSP2

Wait for the show and tell on terrain that is supposedly coming soon. I've heard rumours about it, so don't take my word for it!

I'm excited to see what they do - Nate has mentioned Parallax indirectly on one of the podcasts he did a while back, so I'm fairly sure they are aware of this mod. I have a theory about what they could be doing. They're using the same terrain system in KSP2 as in KSP1 but they're calling it "PQS+". PQS builds each vertex in the terrain independently of the others, so this opens up parallelisation. With the introduction of Compute Shaders, I imagine that the terrain in KSP2 will be built using the GPU. This will be much faster and will allow for much more vertex detail, so I'm looking forward to see what they come up with.

Source for PQS+ was from PAX West: 

Source for nate mentioning Parallax: 72:26. Context: This was about a week or so after my Parallax trailer: 

To add to what I just mentioned, here's the comparison between what I was doing originally VS what I'm doing now in terms of terrain subdivision -

The result is a more vertex dense patch around the craft with less total vertices. This will result in better performance as well as better visual quality. I have been implementing it, but I'm still a way off done.

unknown.png

25 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm excited to see what they do - Nate has mentioned Parallax indirectly on one of the podcasts he did a while back, so I'm fairly sure they are aware of this mod. I have a theory about what they could be doing. They're using the same terrain system in KSP2 as in KSP1 but they're calling it "PQS+". PQS builds each vertex in the terrain independently of the others, so this opens up parallelisation. With the introduction of Compute Shaders, I imagine that the terrain in KSP2 will be built using the GPU. This will be much faster and will allow for much more vertex detail, so I'm looking forward to see what they come up with.

I mean, they’re implementing PBR part shading, so I imagine (especially having seen this mod) that they would want that level of quality in the terrain. 

Edit: Listening to that segment gives me good hopes for the game. They are drawing from the right inspirations. :D

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

On 3/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I have both Parallax Stock and OPM. The two do not affect each other at all. Go for it :)

Also an FYI for anyone reading this: I noticed that Parallax 1.2.2 is on GitHub. 

What version of Parallax do you use for outer planets mod?
I am on 1.11.1 with latest bleeding edge Kopernicus and latest Parallax version but I keep getting a black screen when I try and start a game, I do hear the sounds from outside the KSC and the loading animation keeps moving in the bottom right.

To be sure: I have to add Parallax AND Parallax_StockTextures to the gamedata folder right?

Edited by Folkhoer

15 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

What version of Parallax do you use for outer planets mod?

It shouldn't matter, because Parallax does not affect OPM.

Maybe try switching to the Stable Kopernicus branch, and if that doesn't help, reinstall the latest version of Parallax AND the textures.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Maybe try switching to the Stable Kopernicus branch

I can confirm - I too am running the latest OPM and Parallax together on the latest stable Kopernicus branch here, with no real issues, in KSP 1.11.2 .

Note that the bleeding edge of Kopernicus is no longer needed, they updated the stable version now. 

42 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

It shouldn't matter, because Parallax does not affect OPM.

Maybe try switching to the Stable Kopernicus branch, and if that doesn't help, reinstall the latest version of Parallax AND the textures.

Yep.

Just uninstalled bleeding edge and replaced it with latest Kopernicus, then placed both Parallax folders in gamedata but get a black screen again.
So im guessing another mod is causing a problem, gonna search around a bit.

Edited by Folkhoer

What can often happen is that you have some stray DLL or some old(er) files somewhere in GameData from previous versions of this or another mod, and that can cause problems. You can try disabling mods one by one but I usually find it faster to just do a clean reinstall of the whole mod folder. Or so to speak - nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. :-)

That's assuming that your GPU can run the mod in the first place. Are you able to get Parallax to work properly without OPM/Kopernicus? 

Yeah I played 2 save games with Beyond Home with Parallax, was looking for some new planets and moons to discover.
I was thinking to do a complete reinstall of Kerbal because my mod folder is a dump after all the edits and updates, lol might be a good reason to actually give it a go :p.

2 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

Yeah I played 2 save games with Beyond Home with Parallax, was looking for some new planets and moons to discover.
I was thinking to do a complete reinstall of Kerbal because my mod folder is a dump after all the edits and updates, lol might be a good reason to actually give it a go :p.

Wait you have beyond home?

you don’t need stock textures. BH has its own. 

3 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

No no, I have been playing Beyond Home untill now, was looking for a different planets mod after playing 2 career  playthroughs and visiting everything.
So I uninstalled Beyond home before installing Outer Planets.

Ok. This isn’t the same save though right?

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Currently no, but the most recent update introduced damping that does exactly this. For the next version, I'll look into being able to control the damping yourself so you can smooth the collisions out. For now, you cannot adjust them

OK, I'll look forward to the next version then, but for now it's not going to stop me using the mod. I just disabled the Parallax textures and collisions for Kerbin and kept them everywhere else. This will do, at least until I learn to land/drive on the Parallax textures.

I may have run into a compatibility issue with USI. The Karibou rover wheels don't play nice with Parallax collisions. They just spin in place. It still works on the runway but on the Mun or on the grasslands next to KSC they just spin forever without moving. Stock wheels don't have this issue. 

The previous post, and a few others, makes me think that maybe my landing/driving issues may be caused by my not using stock wheels or landing gear. I saw a post from April 3 saying that information about making non-stock wheels compatible will be available on the wiki, but I can't find it. Is this because your busy RL has prevented you from publishing it yet? or am I just looking in the wrong place?

41 minutes ago, Dres The Space Potato said:

There are no ice terrain textures for Kerbin's ice caps, right? Because I have noticed that the textures look like stone there.

Correct, nor desert textures. Parallax can't do per-biome textures 

28 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

That would be a cool feature. 

I don't have the knowledge to be able to make that work. It only really matters on Kerbin and Duna but for modded planets it could be more useful. It's not something I'm looking into at the moment because I would have to rewrite a lot

I installed Parallax (Scatterer and Eve already in place)...  and I get this terrain weirdness.   I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling in this order (Scatterer... EVE... <tested OK>... then Parallax  <weird mottled terrain>)

I've searched through this Topic, but haven't found anything about the issue yet.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

KIaosCsfWYENEkFNu_L2T3hQjPL0EzCE1jO42BiYRHVGq78JZQldYhaquomTq2xH7EopZOaeB5RkknsHSvZOWcz0bWMLkN_B5kB6HKUXy7q-79Gef75NGwap-ttfLosjmU2SwuAG5yrbNUuiCgUL3gouTQDMp3BxCtS9VUWYLIVkR5nte7PFerpMUuKp3WyvieszYvAqcsDSBsGLOi06KmRlerNRD8o9szq06uY3q8bujB4MyXvf6TxdrBEympq3uu0t-t8yGFygih30QTgID8rE6v6jGDvGDYYghKz0btKqaz8WsV8mvVNkE25zwOwUfXBz1CsdD0dYBIZnPKeI2rKMu6iEbcoiZeGB7wCAFOBRE12mlXqudNuOx0KDuK2iK39x15T-OtVy_xvX1QnJx6iZC5HpT0UyUDLDV3eDi4XbivYWob3pZOsztkYc9t-7P9ja-con3MmOY8nTZr8lvygTHdNiHsmiXVGIoMquz2xjxjwueTUnX563BVwleznZcilEUNV8mUgHD1HSB-3aQHQRnhgSLZLunhN23-At2gZ2w6exXhOSQ-TFvn1kJqK2IIPqOl1RtBtyT89noSewLpiBJcjZBwlw_6Ui-K4MQteXGG6QA3p9EWhAG1knHUk8_e7yA7uxTmewr2gJVPCuhNVcGwByoSYt-2COJm79ewgVx1d0FyQAxFhwax120Q3SDMoZT9JkOuR2Iw01TxLL9lLf=w800-h450-no?authuser=0