[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

7 minutes ago, PharaohTet said:

I've searched through this Topic, but haven't found anything about the issue yet.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You are using OpenGL. If you are on Mac / Linux, this is by default. If you are on Windows, please use DX11.

Currently, if Parallax and Scatterer are installed at the same time and the game is rendering using OpenGL, they will conflict and Z-Fight each other. The only fix, so far, is to remove one of the mods. If you are on Mac / Linux that is the only way until I find a workaround

Fresh install of the latest version of KSP (1.11.2.3077).  My hardware should be OK (ASUS ROG G72 laptop, i7 processor, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1070 video)

I'm running a crap-ton of mods (134 total)... load time is long, but it otherwise runs pretty smoothly.

You are correct, Gameslinx, I'm using OpenGL.  I'll switch to DX11 and test run it.  Back shortly...

1 hour ago, Alioth81 said:

I just made an expedition to Kerbin's north pole and the landscape seemed quite grey and rocky. Is this normal or is this a problem with my installation?

Take a look on the previous page:

On 4/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Dres The Space Potato said:

There are no ice terrain textures for Kerbin's ice caps, right? Because I have noticed that the textures look like stone there.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, Gameslinx said:

Correct, nor desert textures. Parallax can't do per-biome textures 

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Parallax can't do per-biome textures 

Is there somewhere that explains how this works then? Why are the grasslands green but the icecaps are rocky? I can understand that there is no Desert texture but it must be able to tell when the Grasslands end and the Desert begins.

I've looked through the wiki, didn't understand most of it, but I'll have another go, if the answer is in there.

4 hours ago, Coyote21 said:

Why are the grasslands green but the icecaps are rocky?

I am using a technique I created called Influence Mapping. The ice caps are coloured white because of Kerbin's colour map. This colour map sets the colour channel in a Vertex which makes up the terrain geometry. The shader can access this, and it blends this colour with the texture being applied according to an influence map. The shader is unaware what biome it's in, but it does know this for every vertex:

• Vertex colour
  • Altitude above terrain
  • Terrain slope relative to planet centre

So using this information it can blend the texture with the terrain colour. Here's the relevant wiki page: 

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/wiki/Influence-Maps

1 hour ago, Jebediah Studios said:

Every time I go to eve it glitches out and everything breaks. I'm not sure if this is just my mods breaking it but idk

Can you send a link to your KSP.log file and get a screenshot of what is happening?

On 4/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, Dres The Space Potato said:

There are no ice terrain textures for Kerbin's ice caps, right? Because I have noticed that the textures look like stone there.

Okay I dunno if this is Parallax's doing but it seems like it. The moon looks awful from orbit and like a rocky asteroid instead of a moon. Any way to remedy this?

I got this error:

[EXC 21:30:11.058] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ParallaxShader.ParallaxOnDemandLoader.Update () (at <ce2b2010caab41de9b05d611d45c77cb>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

[EXC 21:36:03.743] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ParallaxShader.Shader5.Update () (at <ce2b2010caab41de9b05d611d45c77cb>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
[EXC 21:36:03.743] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ParallaxShader.Position.Update () (at <ce2b2010caab41de9b05d611d45c77cb>:0)
	ParallaxShader.ParallaxOnDemandLoader.Update () (at <ce2b2010caab41de9b05d611d45c77cb>:0)

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0kmcb5gqugxlqp/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by John007qwe

They are on by default. In your KSP install go under GameData/Parallax/Config/ParallaxGlobal.cfg

At the very end there should be a section like this:

CollisionSettings
    {
        collide = true
        flatMinmus = false
    }

Any way you can get this working on OpenGL?  Linux doesn't have Direct3D for obvious reasons.

If you are using Unity's utilities to build this it should be a simple checkbox.   Unity needs to run some stuff through a precompiler for OpenGL.  It might have higher system requirements on OpenGL for Windows, because Linux drivers for older cards are light years ahead of Windows ones.  This goes especially for the OpenGL 4.2 or OpenGL 3.5 with SM5 extensions required for SM5 shaders.

I would recommend using SPIR-V shaders, but nVidia support for them is crap, requiring a quite recent card.

I am currently without a dedicated video card. Have:

Ryzen 5 3400G (cooler stock)
MOBO AsusPrime A320M-K
8GB RAM (x1)
HD 1TB BARRACUDA
KCAS 500W

In the future I will buy a dedicated one, but here I am dreaming of running this on the KSP. Before installing anyone know if I have the slightest chance ??

I would say it's unlikely, but if you compare the minimum recommended GPU from the OP with the GPU that is integrated into your CPU, you'll see they are actually not very different although your integrated GPU still falls short, in some categories by a lot. So it may work, barely, though I doubt it will look good. 

Why don't you install it and give it a try? The worst that can happen is that you'll have to uninstall it again. Back up your save first, just in case, though Parallax should have no permanent effect on the save file. 

2 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I would say it's unlikely, but if you compare the minimum recommended GPU from the OP with the GPU that is integrated into your CPU, you'll see they are actually not very different although your integrated GPU still falls short, in some categories by a lot. So it may work, barely, though I doubt it will look good. 

It does "work" (kind of¹) and looks very good even on my laptop, which only has an integrated Intel GPU.

¹ "Work" does not mean "playable" here, as frame rate in that kind of setup is measured in seconds per frame instead of frames per second...

Bonjour, je viens de prendre ce mod sur ckan et je le trouve super. J'ai pas de message d'erreur mais une fois que je suis en aev sur la mune ou minmus et que je commence à marcher mon personnage monte sur une surface invisible et ne touche plus le sol.

Pouvez vous m'aider svp

Edited by Syltus

25 minutes ago, Syltus said:

Bonjour, je viens de prendre ce mod sur ckan et je le trouve super. J'ai pas de message d'erreur mais une fois que je suis en aev sur la mune ou minmus et que je commence à marcher mon personnage monte sur une surface invisible et ne touche plus le sol.

Pouvez vous m'aider svp

Hello, I just took this mod from ckan and I find it great. I have no error message but once I'm in aev on the mune or minmus and start walking my character climbs on an invisible surface and no longer touches the ground. Can you help me please

Welcome to the forums @Syltus.  Outside of the International Sub forums, please include an English translation with your posts.   Google translate will do fine.

Bienvenue sur les forums @Syltus. En dehors des forums internationaux, veuillez inclure une traduction en anglais avec vos messages. Google translate fera l'affaire.

hi there,

i'm using kspWeehl mod for all my rovers cause they behave much more realistic. Regarding to this i discovered a colission problem from a speed ~16m/s. The  collider doesn't work anymore and the vessel sinks in and there is no more friction. Sometimes it bounces and when the  vessel drops under a speed < 16m/s the collision works again. So the question is if this is kspWheel related or does collission only work  up to a max speed?

i also have the same problem another user already stated that  the USI rover weels stuck and only spinning

greets