[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

If anyone was wondering the new m1 Mac from Apple gets 10 fps when on the ground when running parallax and beyond home, and gets 40-60 fps when in space. (Again with beyond home) I also run a ton of part packs and even got another star system pack called vulture. 

30-50 fps in atmosphere.

14 hours ago, Folkhoer said:

Any idea what causes this?
The graphic mods I have are Eve, Texture replacer, Planetshine and Scatterer

This is caused by PlanetShine. It causes really bad performance when used with Parallax. To fix this, remove PlanetShine or set it to Vertex mode

On 4/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, Ruedii said:

Any way you can get this working on OpenGL?  Linux doesn't have Direct3D for obvious reasons.

If you are using Unity's utilities to build this it should be a simple checkbox.   Unity needs to run some stuff through a precompiler for OpenGL.  It might have higher system requirements on OpenGL for Windows, because Linux drivers for older cards are light years ahead of Windows ones.  This goes especially for the OpenGL 4.2 or OpenGL 3.5 with SM5 extensions required for SM5 shaders.

I would recommend using SPIR-V shaders, but nVidia support for them is crap, requiring a quite recent card.

Parallax works for OpenGL as well as MacOS and Linux platforms that use it

On 4/17/2021 at 10:30 PM, Burning Kan said:

would your magic work on stock asteroids too?

I am working on a new loader and some new shaders. This will mean that Parallax will work on asteroids too :) 

5 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I am working on a new loader and some new shaders. This will mean that Parallax will work on asteroids too :) 

Since asteroids are technically parts, does this mean that Parallax could be used on other parts as well?

6 hours ago, Rhode_Enterprise_By-Matt said:

If anyone was wondering the new m1 Mac from Apple gets 10 fps when on the ground when running parallax and beyond home, and gets 40-60 fps when in space. (Again with beyond home) I also run a ton of part packs and even got another star system pack called vulture. 

30-50 fps in atmosphere.

Oof. I'm assuming that's KSP running through Rosetta 2. I'm curious how performant would be running it under Windows ARM via Parallels -- on one hand Windows' ARM translation layer isn't as good as Rosetta 2, on the other you'd be using Parellels' dx11 software renderer instead of OpenGL. 

1 hour ago, somnambulist said:

software renderer 

The general case is this: software renderer or performance. Pick one. Can't have both, unless what you're rendering has the visual complexity of Doom (1993 version). 

KSP may not look fancy visually but it actually does a lot of fancy stuff under the hood, including IIRC rendering the planets at a reduced size in a separate scene which is then overlaid over the main scene. This kind of stuff needs raw GPU power. And that's long before we even bring Parallax into it. 

Couldn't find if someone else asked already; I installed the mod. Looks great. Landed on Minmus and my kerbals were walking on air. (The old sea level?) I could jetpack to the new terrain, but if the kerbals walked they slowly rose upwards into the air. Ships and planted flags etc all sunk to the new terrain heightmap.

Happened to anyone else?

My understanding is that only the Stock wheels work ATM. 

Gameslinx is aware and posted a few weeks ago that he will be updating the wiki with instructions for doing collisions for mod added wheels when his RL allows him time to do so.

We just need patience ......

15 hours ago, Coyote21 said:

My understanding is that only the Stock wheels work ATM. 

Gameslinx is aware and posted a few weeks ago that he will be updating the wiki with instructions for doing collisions for mod added wheels when his RL allows him time to do so.

We just need patience ......

This includes restock?

Hey Linx. It's me again. Parallax finally can find textures after the April 1 update. However, when I launch ship, kraken hits. Badly. It turns into the first screenshot, and I can't change the view. Pressing "M" to go to map screen makes me stuck there permanently. Using the console to switch back to my vessel makes all textures disappear including stock and I can only see skybox(the stars). Even when I go back to the space center, I can literally not see the buildings.

Oh, and then when I try to launch another rocket, the game crashes.

GrMrh0J.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lugpbJN0cOH67XulfzK6iXzBDMMq2YSF/view?usp=sharing

Parallax is not working in my computer, I have browsed some posts from reddit before, but I did not have the problem mentioned in those posts...I think. Only scatterer is working after game launched.

ksp version 1.11.2;

Parallax version 1.2.1;

kopernicus version BE_19+_Release81; 

Parallax and Parallax_StockTextures folders seems in correct location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hx_m2j1arKaU7O5y6HRrnqa2b5jKP5F9/view?usp=sharing

(I can't insert image into my posts...yet)

Very nice indeed! Just discovered this mod, and after some test I was able to run stable 30FPS with my GT1030 at 1360x768@60Hz.

Changed settings to:

edgeLength = 20

tessellationQuality = Normal

reflections = false 

tessellateLighting = false

tessellateShadows = false

Hi there. Couple quick q's:

1) is this compatible with Spectra visual compilation? Wasn't sure if there was conflicts

2) Does this work by default with default system?  Is this how mun is supposed to look if installed correctly?

1-test.jpg

KSP: 1.11.2.3077 linux
            1.11.1 Making History
            1.6.1 Breaking Ground

Problem: Kerbal Ground Texture not displaying correctly / dark & light renders, when used with scatterer.

I've raised it as an issue as the main page, does recommend using it with scatterer.

Mods installed:

(i removed all other mods for this test, except for dependencies)
Kopernicus
scatterer

Reproduction steps:

Occurs when loading into game. In base screen and when launching etc. Does not occur when scatterer mod is removed.

Screen Shots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov471udl7c1i251/Screenshot_2021-05-15_11-43-38.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhzb3l6bjbpqwc5/Screenshot_2021-05-15_12-24-47.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f3w78hqvsgbd40/Screenshot_2021-05-15_12-25-10.png?dl=0

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ewv6dmdsyuma1b/Player.log?dl=0

Edited by jonny749

Take a look on the previous page

On 4/17/2021 at 4:47 AM, Gameslinx said:

You are using OpenGL. If you are on Mac / Linux, this is by default. If you are on Windows, please use DX11.

Currently, if Parallax and Scatterer are installed at the same time and the game is rendering using OpenGL, they will conflict and Z-Fight each other. The only fix, so far, is to remove one of the mods. If you are on Mac / Linux that is the only way until I find a workaround

On 4/17/2021 at 5:09 AM, PharaohTet said:

OK, ran up the game with DX11... and the problem is GONE! 

Edited by Burning Kan

On 4/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Hi @Syltus

I believe this is a known issue and the developer is working to resolve this. 
Welcome to the forum! :D

hey sorry i'm a little late, i was digging around trying to find answers about the same problem Syltus was having (walking around above the ground, under it, general height related strangeness), so here i am. would turning off collisions fix this in the meantime? or is it unrelated? i'm going to try it anyways at some point but i was hoping maybe you might be able to fill me in a little

3 minutes ago, KerbalSofaProgram said:

hey sorry i'm a little late, i was digging around trying to find answers about the same problem Syltus was having (walking around above the ground, under it, general height related strangeness), so here i am. would turning off collisions fix this in the meantime? or is it unrelated? i'm going to try it anyways at some point but i was hoping maybe you might be able to fill me in a little

Make sure you have the latest version of Parallax (1.2.3)