Jump to content

[1.11.x] Parallax, A PBR Terrain Shader [1.2.1]


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Changing the terrain quality does have an impact and you must keep it set to the highest

There is no setting called terrain quality specifically.  There is a Terrain Detail, which with parallax installed it just says "New Text" and if you change it, when you reload the settings menu it is reset back to "New Text"  

pvvZnr0.jpg

54 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Terrain scatters function as normal however Kopernicus has a critical bug that causes them to sap CPU performance. I recommend having them turned off until that is fixed

Is this a known bug? I looked on github for an issue and could not find anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, eberkain said:

here is no setting called terrain quality specifically.  There is a Terrain Detail, which with parallax installed it just says "New Text" and if you change it, when you reload the settings menu it is reset back to "New Text" 

Ah, that's it - terrain detail. Parallax does not cause that bug. That is a known Kopernicus bug that's been around for years, caused by detritus from a planet pack. To fix it, you must delete your settings.cfg and let KSP regenerate a new one

21 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Is this a known bug? I looked on github for an issue and could not find anything. 

This is well known by planet modders and, I believe, RTB on the Kopernicus discord

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Does this work with Rescale / Sigma Dimensions?

  • Low scale values are mostly safe, but as you increase the size of the planet you will notice the tessellation quality start to degrade

I'm having trouble with this, it seems to "work", but the log is full of the likes of:

Quote

[LOG 14:20:27.050] [Parallax] Subdivision Error (Adaptive Parallax):
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSModExpansion.PQSMod_Subdivide.OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) [0x000bd] in <b6b3af8f70dd42d7adac8493f5bd45d3>:0 
[LOG 14:20:27.058] [Parallax] Subdivision Error:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSModExpansion.PQSMod_Subdivide.OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) [0x00002] in <b6b3af8f70dd42d7adac8493f5bd45d3>:0 

... and:

Quote

[EXC 14:27:30.133] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ParallaxShader.Shader5.Update () (at <0e962ee0d677445f832ed458f7108ca3>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I'm using 10.6x scale, and I think whatever is happening here is ballooning my RAM use until the game crashes OOM (at 32 GB, mind you)... I thought the issue was maybe related to Scatterer or PlanetShine, but disabled much of the former and uninstalled the latter, and I can still only fly for about 12 minutes, at which point I have to reset to the main menu... Is this just KSP? Or is there an issue here that I could provide logs/tests on? Currently about to test without Parallax, but the log entries were interesting to me.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to thank you for this game changing mod, it has given me a big bump in doing another career, it's like exploring the planets all over again. Love the outer planets integration with new planets coming supporting it. So much content, great times! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 11:28 AM, Gameslinx said:

This mod is for 1.9 and 1.10 only. It will not work on any other version

Can you send a video?

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been able to play in a while.
You can see it to the right of the wheel here, but only minor, on some bodies its much more extreme.

Don't mind the audio, was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast while playing :p.

 

Edited by Folkhoer
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been able to play in a while.
You can see it to the right of the wheel here, but only minor, on some bodies its much more extreme.

Don't mind the audio, was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast while playing :p.

 

Took me a while to notice it. Reduce the value of tessellationEdgeLength in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg in the Parallax folder. Bear in mind this will come at a performance cost

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just updated Parallax (for stock) and latest Kopernicus R58 and am getting a ton of these errors:

[LOG 20:34:39.222] Critical error: Input was a string, but it should have been a float: Textures / fogRange
[LOG 20:34:39.222] Critical error: Input was a string, but it should have been a float: Textures / displacementOffset
[LOG 20:34:39.222] Critical error: Input was a string, but it should have been a float: Textures / normalSpecularInfluence

Also 

[LOG 20:34:46.175] [Parallax] Subdivision Error (Adaptive Parallax):
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSModExpansion.PQSMod_Subdivide.OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) [0x000bd] in <b6b3af8f70dd42d7adac8493f5bd45d3>:0 

Full log https://www.dropbox.com/s/8oosmlwei55la07/KSP.log?dl=0

 

 

Edited by Atlas Gaming
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't figure out why but my performance significantly drops from over 100 FPS while around Kerbin then when I get within Mun or Minimus influence I get less than 15 FPS. Nothing else is running on the PC. Using EVE (Bolder Co.), SVE, and Scatter. Playing on a Dell XPS with an i7 3770, GTX 1050Ti, 16GB RAM. All prerequisites for Parallax are installed. ( Kopernicus, Stock textures, and Core). Running KSP Version 1.8.1. I made sure all my mods were the right version for my Ksp version.  Any Suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deathdruid said:

Can't figure out why but my performance significantly drops from over 100 FPS while around Kerbin then when I get within Mun or Minimus influence I get less than 15 FPS. Nothing else is running on the PC. Using EVE (Bolder Co.), SVE, and Scatter. Playing on a Dell XPS with an i7 3770, GTX 1050Ti, 16GB RAM. All prerequisites for Parallax are installed. ( Kopernicus, Stock textures, and Core). Running KSP Version 1.8.1. I made sure all my mods were the right version for my Ksp version.  Any Suggestions?

I also lose performance at the Mun. Minmus seemed fine when I was there, but I was also piloting a much simpler lander, so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I think you're pushing your system a little hard. I'm running on an i5 6600k, 1070 Ti, 16GB DDR4RAM and I don't even use SVE anymore. It can be pretty taxing. 

Edited by MagicCuboid
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deathdruid said:

Can't figure out why but my performance significantly drops from over 100 FPS while around Kerbin then when I get within Mun or Minimus influence I get less than 15 FPS. Nothing else is running on the PC. Using EVE (Bolder Co.), SVE, and Scatter. Playing on a Dell XPS with an i7 3770, GTX 1050Ti, 16GB RAM. All prerequisites for Parallax are installed. ( Kopernicus, Stock textures, and Core). Running KSP Version 1.8.1. I made sure all my mods were the right version for my Ksp version.  Any Suggestions?

You need KSP 1.9 or higher. This mod need Directx11 and it's only available on KSP 1.9 and onward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deathdruid said:

Running KSP Version 1.8.1

This is probably your issue. I recommend moving to 1.9, 1.10 or even 1.11. I'm not sure how you're even able to run it on 1.8.1 since Parallax requires DirectX11

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

with force directx 11, maybe... however, this mod is very demanding for graphic card... i got like 26 fps on moon with nvidia 1060 and the cooler was doing to much noise to be playable. On minmus was better.

Edited by Acvila
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a encountered a weird bug in KSP 1.11.0  after installing the latest version of Parallax. 

The terrain of the planets and moons have got a neon pinkish texture for some reason. The KSP.log and Player.log are attached below along with a screenshot .

https://imgur.com/MM4V0B8

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gKgdVIGOfMbty1uIntGG4zMjhtGcVwdr?usp=sharing

 

 

Edited by VoidCosmos
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoidCosmos said:

I have a encountered a weird bug in KSP 1.11.0  after installing the latest version of Parallax. 

You don't meet the minimum requirement of Shader Model 5.0 (you have 4.5). You also don't have a dedicated GPU (you're using the integrated graphics in your CPU) and don't meet the minimum GPU requirement for a comfortable framerate

Edited by Gameslinx
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

You don't meet the minimum requirement of Shader Model 5.0 (you have 4.5). You also don't have a dedicated GPU (you're using the integrated graphics in your CPU) and don't meet the minimum GPU requirement for a comfortable framerate

Oh okay. Thank you 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I'm slightly confused by the install instructions. Is Kopernicus required, or is it just that *if* you use Kopernicus, you should use the "bleeding edge" version?

It is required, I gather from the thread :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

On the latest version of parallax with beyond home mod the terrain is all white. Can someone help me fix it please? I installed it with CKAN and its all white. Why is that happening?

You need Parallax 1.0.1 when running Beyond Home

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not 100% sure it was parallax causing the problem, but after installing it, when I was in final parachute mode coming down over land on Kerbin my physics indicator went yellow and time slowed way down. When I got rid of parallax and Kopernicus, the problem seemed to go away again (although I've not made a land parachute landing since then -- every time has been over water).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

I am not 100% sure it was parallax causing the problem, but after installing it, when I was in final parachute mode coming down over land on Kerbin my physics indicator went yellow and time slowed way down. When I got rid of parallax and Kopernicus, the problem seemed to go away again (although I've not made a land parachute landing since then -- every time has been over water).

Have you got terrain scatters enabled? (Trees, rocks, grass). If you do, performance will tank because of a Kopernicus bug. Your timer went yellow because this has a high CPU draw. The only fix so far is turning off terrain scatters

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...