[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

41 minutes ago, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

Hi there, I am new here. I actually have parallax installed, but there's an error upon loading. Can someone guide me through, thx.

Link of the pic is below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SeoJnNjKFxqtm2Nt3Ckp0MgM3XSQP5eH/view?usp=sharing

You need to install kopernicus or parallax won't work. It's a dependency so the mod requires it.

Also please read through previous pages and/or the op because this problem has been mentioned and resolved several times already.

EDIT: oh hey, page 19.

Edited by KeaKaka

4 hours ago, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

Hi there, I am new here. I actually have parallax installed, but there's an error upon loading. Can someone guide me through, thx.

Hi welcome to the forum :)

This warning shows Parallax isn't installed correctly, can you provide a pics of your GameData folder ? Did you install Kopernicus BE ?

On 11/30/2020 at 5:28 PM, Li0n said:

Hi welcome to the forum :)

This warning shows Parallax isn't installed correctly, can you provide a pics of your GameData folder ? Did you install Kopernicus BE ?

Yes, I have installed kopernicus BE. I actually have been playing KSP for quite a while. It's just that I am new to the forums. I do have quite a lot of mods, hope you don't mind. And thx for the help.

Link to Game Data folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_1tVf5py3vODkfkJ9JcJd1D-GPFOLdg/view?usp=sharing

Link to KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEB3oThhHg9LiGkuAJRAFoZcNb80KX0W/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Do we have to also download Parallax Stock textures. If yes, I am downloading it now. Should that resolve the problem?

Edited by Lokesh_Mars_Gen

2 hours ago, Lokesh_Mars_Gen said:

Yes, I have installed kopernicus BE. I actually have been playing KSP for quite a while. It's just that I am new to the forums. I do have quite a lot of mods, hope you don't mind. And thx for the help.

Link to Game Data folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j_1tVf5py3vODkfkJ9JcJd1D-GPFOLdg/view?usp=sharing

Link to KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEB3oThhHg9LiGkuAJRAFoZcNb80KX0W/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Do we have to also download Parallax Stock textures. If yes, I am downloading it now. Should that resolve the problem?

It seems your install of Kopernicus is wrong. Delete the folder "kopernicusBE_1101_release47" from your gamedata and reinstall it. You can download the latest version here : https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases Copy the content of the gamedata folder to your gamedata folder, you NEED ModularFlightIntegrator, it's included in the kopernicus release you download from github.

And yes you absolutely need the Parallax Stock Texture too. (unless you play on another solar system than stock).

7 minutes ago, Li0n said:

It seems your install of Kopernicus is wrong. Delete the folder "kopernicusBE_1101_release47" from your gamedata and reinstall it. You can download the latest version here : https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases Copy the content of the gamedata folder to your gamedata folder, you NEED ModularFlightIntegrator, it's included in the kopernicus release you download from github.

And yes you absolutely need the Parallax Stock Texture too. (unless you play on another solar system than stock).

Hi, yup. I fixed it. Thanks a lot guys.

@Lokesh_Mars_Gen

looking closely at the screenshot of your gamedata I think you have a lots of mods that are wrongly installed. No mod (that I'm aware of) is writing their version number on their folder. Ie : the correct folder for Parallax is "Parallax", not "Parallax1.1.1" etc...

I guess you download your mod from github but not from the release, I guess you clone the repositories and copy it to your gamedata. You need to download your mod from the release section of github.

Feature Update - Collision

Over the last few days I have been exploring ways I can apply collision to the new fancy displaced terrain (with the help of @blackrack). The results have been good so far, but I have yet to try to implement it in-game.

There will be more details on how this works later, but for now I have a short animation to show you all :)

BgroEQO.gif

You can see that the smaller sphere accurately follows the displaced terrain. More information on this later on!

Edited by Gameslinx

18 minutes ago, Altaille said:

Very interesting feature ! What is happening to ksp 1 is trully impressive ... Out of curiosity, considering Blackrat helped, does it share some code with the new ocean waves showcased in scatterer dev thread ?

Nah - the ocean in Scatterer uses Async GPU Readback, which I believe grabs the value of the ocean displacement from the shader. What I'm doing is firing a ray down into the ground and running a C# version of the shader code to determine the displacement value at 1 specific pixel

1 minute ago, Gameslinx said:

Nah - the ocean in Scatterer uses Async GPU Readback, which I believe grabs the value of the ocean displacement from the shader. What I'm doing is firing a ray down into the ground and running a C# version of the shader code to determine the displacement value at 1 specific pixel

So it's something similar to Ray Tracing?

3 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

So it's something similar to Ray Tracing?

A very dumbed down version of it. While a GPU will fire millions of rays and trace them for multiple bounces, I'm only firing one ray which terminates when it collides with the terrain (done on the CPU). KSP already does a ray-cast to determine the vessel's height above the terrain (radar altitude), and Parallax does it already for determining the reflection probe position if reflections are enabled. It's very cheap, and I only need 1 ray :) 

Edited by Gameslinx

35 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Whew, I was about to confirm the order for a RTX 2060. Thank you for saving me 300 dollars, although I'll probably have to upgrade to it...

To prove it's not very performance intensive, here's 50 of them (although not all of them are on-screen)

I've been experimenting with this mod for about a week now. I'm using a laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H and an RTX 2060. Stock FPS is about 60-80fps. With Parallax, my FPS averages 60-80 on every planet as well. Eve and Parallax is 65 steady. Eve, Parallax, and Scatterer is 50-60. When I add in Planetshine though, it tanks to 15-20. With those mods without Parallax, I'm averaging 60-70. I wish I understood the conflict between Parallax and Planetshine because I consider both essential. 

1 hour ago, victini0510 said:

I wish I understood the conflict between Parallax and Planetshine because I consider both essential. 

PlanetShine is not optimized very well

This happens without Parallax, I'm fairly sure. If not, it's something planet shine sided