[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

3 hours ago, Bursoma said:

Is there any documentation on how to make wheels compatible with collisions? I would like to fix wheels that aren't working.

I will be writing this documentation over the next week or so. It'll be visible on the Parallax Wiki here: https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/wiki

Well, I believe something has occurred, while driving is better, walking is not.

I call it the "Stairway to heaven" effect.

I was on minmus, and EVA'd to walk a short distance to another ship, as I begin walking, I gain altitude, the VSI doesn't indicate a climb, but I can watch my alt meter rise.  If I hold space, ill descend, but also 50/50 I'll jump from there.

no log as it doesnt crash o me at all, just the stairway effect, anyone else?

1 hour ago, RW-1 said:

was on minmus, and EVA'd to walk a short distance to another ship, as I begin walking, I gain altitude, the VSI doesn't indicate a climb, but I can watch my alt meter rise.  If I hold space, ill descend, but also 50/50 I'll jump from there.

I am aware of this bug - It is caused by the game thinking ActiveVessel.Landed is true when you walk off the collision plane and into the air. I alleviated this in Parallax 1.2.3 and pressing the Jump button will free you. I have a fix planned for 1.2.4, but I had to push 1.2.3 before finding a solution because there were some important fixes there :) 

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

I am aware of this bug - It is caused by the game thinking ActiveVessel.Landed is true when you walk off the collision plane and into the air. I alleviated this in Parallax 1.2.3 and pressing the Jump button will free you. I have a fix planned for 1.2.4, but I had to push 1.2.3 before finding a solution because there were some important fixes there :) 

No worries here, appreciate it, not a deal breaker, was shall we say, interesting. Wondered just how high one could get hehehe...

I know there are a hell of a lot of interactions you have to look at in this, take your time  :)

Edited by RW-1

was wondering if it works for this: 

processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

I think I have about 8 gigs of ram(i use the 2015 macbook pro, and this is probably a pretty low ram, don't really know).

i am asking, because i dont want to corrupt my mods or save files.

14 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

was wondering if it works for this: 

processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

I think I have about 8 gigs of ram(i use the 2015 macbook pro, and this is probably a pretty low ram, don't really know).

i am asking, because i dont want to corrupt my mods or save files.

Unfortunately you don't meet the minimum system requirements. The mod might not run at all, or it'll run very slowly. It won't corrupt any save files or mods, so it's always worth a shot, but I wouldn't recommend it 

9 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Unfortunately you don't meet the minimum system requirements. The mod might not run at all, or it'll run very slowly. It won't corrupt any save files or mods, so it's always worth a shot, but I wouldn't recommend it 

Okay. I will try it, fingers crossed. Thanks!

I've been playing with Parallax for a few weeks now and I'd really like to be able to adjust the "roughness" of some of the collisions, not just disable them completely. For example, I find it practically impossible to land a plane or drive anything but the slowest vehicles on anything except for roads/runways. I personally feel I should be able to drive/land on biomes like grass, Ice or desert without too many bumps, at least far fewer bumps than there are now, but they should be, a little more bumpier than runways or roads.

TLDR; Is there somewhere in the config files for adjusting the bumpiness of the collision mesh of certain biomes? 

So first I want to say how beautiful and amazing this mod is!  I tried it out for the first time and love it!

I noticed after installing it that my console starts kinda going crazy now.  For example I opened my console and it just kept repeating "Destroyed" over and over and over.  Then it stops, then it does a bunch more.  Every now and then it throws in "Mask 0."  My first thought was a bad part on the ship, and after tearing it almost completely apart I saw a different mod where they said the terrain was being destroyed.  So I uninstalled Parallax and it went away.

I am using CKAN and Parallax stock planet textures and it s dependencies.

9 minutes ago, flyguybc said:

I noticed after installing it that my console starts kinda going crazy now.  For example I opened my console and it just kept repeating "Destroyed" over and over and over.  Then it stops, then it does a bunch more. 

Ppls is gonna need logs to help with this, have a read of 

to learn how to post the relevant logs so they can have a hope of tracking down your issue. 

Edited by Coyote21

20 minutes ago, Coyote21 said:

He's gonna need logs to help with this, have a read of 

to learn how to post the relevant logs so Gameslinx can have a hope of tracking down your issue. 

This forums programming annoys me.  Where can I post the log file since there's not upload ability?  Is there a site? I'm sure you don't want me to copy the whole text into here right?

I don't know how helpful its going to be though

[LOG 23:03:40.777] Destroyed
[LOG 23:03:40.995] Destroyed

No, obviously that log segment is entirely useless, and is not what the post I pointed you to,  says you should do.

TLDR;

I'm going to assume your using Windows., and I'm going to assume your using the latest version of KSP....

1. Copy the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log to any file sharing site (Dropbox, Pastebin, etc)

2. Post the link to this log file in your post.

If you need more detailed instructions they can be found in the post "How to Get Support" I pointed you to earlier.

People will need to know a lot more about your particular KSP setup than just what the messages are that your getting and which mod you think is responsible, the entire log will provide most of those details.

8 hours ago, flyguybc said:

I noticed after installing it that my console starts kinda going crazy now.  For example I opened my console and it just kept repeating "Destroyed" over and over and over.  Then it stops, then it does a bunch more.  Every now and then it throws in "Mask 0."  My first thought was a bad part on the ship, and after tearing it almost completely apart I saw a different mod where they said the terrain was being destroyed.  So I uninstalled Parallax and it went away.

It's normal behaviour, I just forgot to remove two lines of code that log it into the console. They're harmless, and the next update will stop Parallax from logging it :). Nothing to worry about!

On 4/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, Coyote21 said:

TLDR; Is there somewhere in the config files for adjusting the bumpiness of the collision mesh of certain biomes? 

Currently no, but the most recent update introduced damping that does exactly this. For the next version, I'll look into being able to control the damping yourself so you can smooth the collisions out. For now, you cannot adjust them

@Gameslinx thanks so much.  Yeah it didn't seem to be hitting performance I've just had to start being a stickler about checking the console because I have so many mods combined.  I run across lots of bugged parts and some of them console spam and cause insane lag.

Amazing mod you've got!

Greetings, kerbals! Do you guys know of any 6x or (preferably) 10x planets pack compatible with latest parallax? I've tried Beyond Home, but with 10x rescale planet surfaces are broken, unfortunately. RSS won't work with it too, AFAIK.

I'm trying to make some realistic-ish modern KSP build with all the graphical marvels of late (parallax, waterfall, scatterer, etc), but it's hard to find a subset of content mods that play nicely with all of these.

I'm probably going to stick to JNSQ for now (though looking forward to Beyond Home update), but was wondering if there is anything bigger with Parallax support. Or are there some technical limitations that would prevent it from working on such scales at all (like heightmaps resolution or something)?

2 minutes ago, ArXen42 said:

Or are there some technical limitations that would prevent it from working on such scales at all (like heightmaps resolution or something)?

Many, since KSP is an older game now, the terrain doesn't contain enough mesh detail around the craft for Parallax to work very well. With larger planets, it becomes near impossible. However, I have been working with what we have and I might have come up with something useful. I'm naming it "Advanced Subdivision" but it's still very much a work in progress.

It should lead to a much more optimized experience, and support for bigger planets