[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

6 minutes ago, Vovical said:

Do you think the new update will break configurations created for other planet packs?

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200080-jnsq-parallax-settings-bumpy-roads-up-ahead-version-10/

Unfortunately, yes it will. This is a huge change for Parallax and I rewrote the entire loader to account for this and more upcoming versions. That being said, it won't require much effort to update existing configs to the new version :) 

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

sorry if this qeustion is asked befroe, but, what happens if you use parralax with a planet pack not configured too use it? 

The planets that don't have configs simply keep the terrain detail that they had, UNLESS they happened to use a template from a planet that had configs for Parallax (you can check this by going into the planet configs in the mod).

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Unfortunately, yes it will. This is a huge change for Parallax and I rewrote the entire loader to account for this and more upcoming versions. That being said, it won't require much effort to update existing configs to the new version :) 

Definitely worth for the new loader benefits, I can always just use sigma on stock for a little bit :)

26 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Мои кербалы летают (поднимаясь и поднимаясь каждый раз), пока идут по поверхности тел. Что не так?

I have the same problem. Experimentally found out that this is an incorrect work of collisions. If you turn them off, kerbals walk normally, but they are waist-deep in the ground.

34 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

My kerbals happen to to fly (taking steps up and up each) while walking down the surfaces of bodies. What’s wrong?

This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next update

2 hours ago, VladTonk said:

I have the same problem. Experimentally found out that this is an incorrect work of collisions. If you turn them off, kerbals walk normally, but they are waist-deep in the ground.

The reason it occurs is because the game thinks the Kerbal is still landed, but the collision plane underneath the Kerbal pushes it off the ground. As far as the game needs to know, the Kerbal needs to now not be landed because that restricts its movement. I don't know why it works like this, it just does :/. In the next update it'll be fixed :) 

1 hour ago, adriangm44 said:

Do we know an estimated release time?

If I don't have the update ready for this weekend, it'll be a week or two

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The reason it occurs is because the game thinks the Kerbal is still landed, but the collision plane underneath the Kerbal pushes it off the ground. As far as the game needs to know, the Kerbal needs to now not be landed because that restricts its movement. I don't know why it works like this, it just does :/. In the next update it'll be fixed :) 

If I don't have the update ready for this weekend, it'll be a week or two

thanks for the answer. I wanted to ask you.
How difficult is it to make terrain changes due to collisions? I'm talking about kerbals tracks, tire tracks, craters from hard impacts

2 hours ago, VladTonk said:

How difficult is it to make terrain changes due to collisions? I'm talking about kerbals tracks, tire tracks, craters from hard impacts

Very. Actually deforming the terrain wouldn't be difficult, but having it persistent wouldn't be possible (at least, it's way out of my depth)

On 6/12/2021 at 9:27 PM, Gameslinx said:

Maybe. PlanetShine is old and uses a reflection probe to apply the colouration unless you change to Vertex mode. Using a reflection probe causes the terrain to be rendered again for every planet in range, so it's very performance demanding

Not trying to make more work for you, but would reimplementing PlaneShine's lighting effects in Parallax be possible? 

37 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

Not trying to make more work for you, but would reimplementing PlaneShine's lighting effects in Parallax be possible? 

It would be the same performance impact unless I implement it all into the ForwardBase pass. It's not something I really want to do just yet because this update should optimize a lot of stuff. If I'm happy with the performance after this update I'll consider doing something like that 

I've had a pretty strange glitch with terrain collisions a couple times - perhaps someone might recognize it, or have an idea of what's causing it?
I'm not completely sure what's happening, as I haven't been able to reliably replicate it, and unfortunately I haven't been able to get any logs the few times it's happened. However, I do have (behind the spoilers, hopefully)
A screenshot

Spoiler

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210617T170113Z

And a video.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Vovical said:

Now 1.12 is out hopefully that takes the load off a little for you as it will be easier to update the mod (no worries about version compatibility)

Absolutely! It means I can focus more on the mod than updating to each new version :)

2 hours ago, m0a9r1c1el said:

Is it compatible with 12.0 ? i cant find any info on that

it's working for me so far

btw does anyone know what setting I should change to make the world look green again, idk why it's making everything grey

H1n6Brw.jpg

13 hours ago, Seleck said:

idk why it's making everything grey

That would be Scatterer playing a large part in that. In the 1.12 update for Parallax I am making Kerbin a bit greener so that might help :)