Jump to content

[1.12.x] Parallax, A PBR Terrain Shader [1.3.0]


Gameslinx
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Jacke, thanks for the visualization utility info.  Do you know if Parallax's terrain collider cubes interact with anything other than wheel and landing leg contact points?  I try to build my rovers low to the ground, and I'm wondering if the cubes are hitting other components hanging underneath the rover, inside the suspension stroke height of the wheels.

Edited by KSPrynk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

@Jacke, thanks for the visualization utility info.  Do you know if Parallax's terrain collider cubes interact with anything other than wheel and landing leg contact points?  I try to build my rovers low to the ground, and I'm wondering if the cubes are hitting other components hanging underneath the rover, inside the suspension stroke height of the wheels.

I have no idea; those with more knowledge would have to be asked to be sure.

But if things were right, even if you were colliding, you'd think it would cause a drag force, not an acceleration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

But if things were right, even if you were colliding, you'd think it would cause a drag force, not an acceleration.

Yeah, that still has me scratching my head. The DebugStuff tool did show some interesting boundary boxes on some of the NFT parts I was using previously.  I tried another "cleaner" rover design, and it behaves better.

Edited by KSPrynk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Kerman said:

Soooooooo I Try To Install But Each Time It Only Go Shiny
I Used Bleeding Edge But No Work
H E L P

You also need to download both parts, the textures and the parallax mod itself.

I find a lot of users only download one zip.  That may be your issue.  There are two for stock.

Links:

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases/download/1.2.1/Parallax-1.2.1.zip

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases/download/1.2.1/Parallax_StockTextures-1.2.1.zip

BOTH of these. ;)

Edited by R-T-B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jacke said:

I have no idea; those with more knowledge would have to be asked to be sure.

But if things were right, even if you were colliding, you'd think it would cause a drag force, not an acceleration.

 

15 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

Yeah, that still has me scratching my head. The DebugStuff tool did show some interesting boundary boxes on some of the NFT parts I was using previously.  I tried another "cleaner" rover design, and it behaves better.

Press Alt + 3 (try Ctrl + Alt + 3 if Alt3 doesn't work) during flight to show the colliders that Parallax uses :) 

Edited by Gameslinx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Download the stable Kopernicus https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases

@Gameslinx, @R-T-B, how tied at the hip are Parallax and KopernicusBE vs the relatively recent 19+ Stable versions?  I had previously been using Parallax 1.2.0 with a Stable version of Kopernicus for KSP 1.11.1 (R.28).  Then after I upgraded to Parallax 1.2.1, I got the dreaded "You've got a planet pack running and something's broke in Kopernicus, don't open your current Save Game" warning (I'm using OPM 2.2.9).

I resolved this by downloading KopernicusBE 19+R.80, but all my Save Game solar panels got borked, fortunately not lethally as far as I can tell.  Craft files had a warning about a missing Kopernicus module (I just added an arbitrary part, then re-saved, which I assume forces a refresh the next time it loads), and all my active craft suddenly had their solar panels closed.  My hot key wouldn't re-extend them, but I was able to do it manually, one panel at a time, in the PAW.

I read the BE commentary about the new KopernicusSolarPanel module, so I'm assuming my Save got dropped right into the thick of it.  I guess my questions are:

1) Despite the Parallax pre-requisite/compatibility checks and warning, is Parallax intended to be good with Kopernicus Stable, or is Parallax needing something that stays in BE, and

2) If I reverted back to Stable again right now, would I end up shooting my Save Game in the foot until the KopernicusSolarPanel module conversion issue is settled?

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Press Alt + 3 (try Ctrl + Alt + 3 if Alt3 doesn't work) during flight to show the colliders that Parallax uses

Yes, I've used that previously.  What was interesting was my earlier rover sometimes appeared to be floating even higher above the white collider cubes (possibly due to being in a near-constant state of bounce flight), and sometimes the cubes were significantly higher than the apparent terrain.  Which made me wonder if something other than the wheels was interacting with the cubes.  Using the DebugStuff visualizer, I also made a point of not letting the stowed Light Scanning Arm get too close to other objects.

Edited by KSPrynk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to know if parallax 1.2.1 was compatible with KSP 1.10.1, so i tried it. Instantaneous crash when trying to load a vessel, with the unity popup and everything. I expected it, so I'm just posting  in case anyone had the same question as me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vinix said:

I wanted to know if parallax 1.2.1 was compatible with KSP 1.10.1, so i tried it. Instantaneous crash when trying to load a vessel, with the unity popup and everything. I expected it, so I'm just posting  in case anyone had the same question as me.

Did you make sure you had the right Kopernicus .zip

for 1.10.1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

Despite the Parallax pre-requisite/compatibility checks and warning, is Parallax intended to be good with Kopernicus Stable, or is Parallax needing something that stays in BE, and

Parallax works fine on the stable Kopernicus version - it's what I've been using to develop the 1.2.1 update 

59 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

If I reverted back to Stable again right now, would I end up shooting my Save Game in the foot until the KopernicusSolarPanel module conversion issue is settled?

I don't know. It's worth making a backup of your save (you can also revert to a previous quicksave before you changed the Kopernicus version if you still have one)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I don't know. It's worth making a backup of your save (you can also revert to a previous quicksave before you changed the Kopernicus version if you still have one)

To elaborate on this, the best way to go back to stable in this instance is as follows:

On the existing bleeding edge "borked" install, please delete solarpanels.cfg from the Kopernicus config folder.  Load your save once, ignoring warnings, and then resave it. Then you may safely downgrade to stable with no other changes then loading that new save.  It will work fine with parallax.

And yes the pipeline needs work.  I need more testers before that goes to stable (it won't until it works perfect).

Edited by R-T-B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Did you make sure you had the right Kopernicus .zip

for 1.10.1

Yes, I have kopernicus stable version 1.10.1-34 installed. Besides, parallax 1.1b worked fine with said version of kopernicus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, si2504 said:

what planet pack mods is this compatible with? I'm guessing RSS isn't one of them? thanks

Gameslinx's Beyond Home planet pack and the stock system have configs.

I would ask the RSS people is Parallax support is in the works. I don't think it is currently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have some visual problems (chassis) at LKO or high atm. when reentry.  i use Astronomer pack+planet shine+ scatterer.

problem

2fb9b692fa87.png

problemea2a1b3eda1f.png

no problem

b93937efd2c9.png

no problem

ba4ee8c28458.png

problem both type of wheels

fa24acfcdab1.png

no problem

4cfa0b4a7985.png

no problem

9e5918c891fb.png

the problem appears and disappears at different heights, at different angles of the view

Edited by *MajorTom*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parallax and Kopernicus have both been working previously up until today. I hopped onto KSP and saw a message that said to make sure that the Kopernicus I had installed was Bleeding Edge, and the nyan cat screen to go along with it. I was confused as I hadn't changed anything, but reinstalled  Kopernicus anyway, but the message was still there, I tried installing the stable version, but the same message was there. Is this a problem on Parallax/Kopernicus's side, or is it just my game? I'm hoping there's a fix as I love Parallax and don't want to get rid of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RedSpace said:

Parallax and Kopernicus have both been working previously up until today. I hopped onto KSP and saw a message that said to make sure that the Kopernicus I had installed was Bleeding Edge, and the nyan cat screen to go along with it. I was confused as I hadn't changed anything, but reinstalled  Kopernicus anyway, but the message was still there, I tried installing the stable version, but the same message was there. Is this a problem on Parallax/Kopernicus's side, or is it just my game? I'm hoping there's a fix as I love Parallax and don't want to get rid of it.

I would actually recommend switching to the stable branch of Kopernicus. 
The Nyan Cats are because today is Cat Day in Japan. 
Welcome to the forums :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, *MajorTom* said:

the problem appears and disappears at different heights, at different angles of the view

Not Parallax related. Please uninstall all other visual mods before reporting problems like these :)

50 minutes ago, RedSpace said:

Parallax and Kopernicus have both been working previously up until today. I hopped onto KSP and saw a message that said to make sure that the Kopernicus I had installed was Bleeding Edge, and the nyan cat screen to go along with it. I was confused as I hadn't changed anything, but reinstalled  Kopernicus anyway, but the message was still there, I tried installing the stable version, but the same message was there. Is this a problem on Parallax/Kopernicus's side, or is it just my game? I'm hoping there's a fix as I love Parallax and don't want to get rid of it.

It's cat day in Japan so the nyan cats appear even if your install is correct. It's not great that Kopernicus uses this nyan cat display to show it is installed incorrectly as well, but it's been like that for years. I recommend switching over to the stable branch as mentioned above - the message that asks you to use bleeding edge is outdated and I'll be getting rid of it in a patch

Welcome to the forums and thank you for using Parallax :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

It’s confusing because MM also uses it. 
 

MM is the thing causing the cat show everywhere. 

Hmm, MM has the cat images in its source code;

Kopernicus doesn't seem to,  at least not in the analogous folder or anyplace else I've been able to find:

Are you sure Kopernicus displays Nyan Cat itself? Maybe it signals an emergency condition to MM somehow, and MM then does it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...