[1.10.x] Melantu Atmospheric Harvesting: Stockalike ISRU, no ore required (v1.0, 2020-09-22)

jan Melantu

Melantu Atmospheric Harvesting v1.0

Tired of lugging around heavy mining equipment for your Interplanetary ISRU? Looking for a compact ISRU for your Single-Stage-To-Laythe Planes? Have no fear, for now you can create fuel from the air around you!

Melantu Atmospheric Harvesting (MAH) is a small mod to complement the Stock ISRU with atmospheric harvesting and converting. Specifically, it is designed to turn Carbon Dioxide in the atmospheres of Duna, Eve, and Laythe (and Kerbin, though I'm not sure why you would need it) into Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. This mod is inspired by Mars Direct (its chemistry), The Martian (its power requirements), and the MOXIE experiment on the Mars 2020 rover (its form factor). It is a repurposed Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer, that can turn a small liquid hydrogen supply into a large amount of Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer using less power than the PB-NUK RTG. Sounds too good to be true? Well it takes a really long time, and only works in atmospheres. It Takes about 33 hours to fill up an FL-T100, 88.5 Kerbin Days to fill up a Rockomax 16, and 354 Kerbin Days to fill up a Big Orange Tank. 

In addition to the Basic LFO, there are more specialized ISRU Modes including Methalox, Water, and Oxygen, designed to play well with mods like Life Support and Rational Resources. (note: at this point, RealFuels is not supported)

Dependencies

This mod would not be possible without other mods doing the Heavy Lifting. Specifically this Mod Requires

• Community Resource Pack by Roverdude (included in Download)
  • ModuleManager by sarbian and Ialdabaoth (included in Download)

Recommended Mod

• CryoTanks by Nertea (separate download) (the best way to get Liquid Hydrogen Tanks, required for the sample craft)

Future Plans

• 1.1: Proper Agency implementation, Contracts to bring back samples of CO2
  • 1.2: Larger/Faster/More Expensive Parts with integrated tanks (aka I have to learn how to model and texture)
  • 1.?.?: RealFuels support (I look at those cfg files and my brain just breaks)

Licensing

• My cfg files are licensed under the MIT License
  • Bundled Mods are licensed under their own licenses

Download

Primary: SpaceDock Secondary: GitHub

A look at the included sample craft, a Duna Ascent Vehicle, as well as the basic MOXIE stats

I0YraXw.png

The Sample DAV on Duna at night, slowly processing CO2 and LH2 into LFO

PlFTW4a.png

More images of the Sample DAV and an Example Mission: https://imgur.com/a/ff7WDuG

3 hours ago, Lunesombre said:

Any chance to make it compatible with RSS/RO/RP-1 in the future ?

If I can figure out the cfg files, yes. It's kind of hard to figure out the volume and mass ratios of the real propellants without B9PartSwitch helping me.

But if someone else wants to write RO cfgs, feel free to submit a pull request

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.