CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

26 minutes ago, strider3 said:

That is correct, first attempt with CKAN. OK, that makes sense. If I understand...I can run CKAN on a new, unmodded version of KSP and use it to download and install the mods I want?

Correct.

CKAN will also detect your KSP version and not list mods it figures are not compatible.  You can change what CKAN considers "compatible" by altering the settings within the app.

So I installed some mods on from ckan and then deleted ckan for some reason. I opened up KSP days later to find out I rigged my whole game with random mods. I deleted the steam version of KSP and reinstalled it again but it still didn't remove the mods so could anybody tell me how I could actually remove ALL the mods from my game since I can see them in ckan?

Just now, HebaruSan said:

You don't see them on CurseForge, or in CKAN?

Sorry...I don't see them in CurseForge. I am still downloading KSP 1.8.1, at this moment (then comes the DLC's). I'm just curious if CKAN will do better that CurseForge at finding compatible mods...I am finding almost everything myself...just not on CurseForge.

Just now, strider3 said:

Sorry...I don't see them in CurseForge. I am still downloading KSP 1.8.1, at this moment (then comes the DLC's). I'm just curious if CKAN will do better that CurseForge at finding compatible mods...I am finding almost everything myself...just not on CurseForge.

Ahh, OK. CKAN retrieves mods primarily from SpaceDock and GitHub, plus a few other, much smaller sources:

33961440-b341a952-e013-11e7-8951-03c3984

Many mods aren't uploaded to CurseForge because their authors don't use that site. CurseForge blocked CKAN's bot from crawling them within the last year or so, so we had to migrate everything that formerly was retrieved from there to other sources (on the order of 10 or so mods). Luckily almost all modders were already also using either SpaceDock or GitHub.

3 hours ago, chesburger0430 said:

So I installed some mods on from ckan and then deleted ckan for some reason. I opened up KSP days later to find out I rigged my whole game with random mods. I deleted the steam version of KSP and reinstalled it again but it still didn't remove the mods so could anybody tell me how I could actually remove ALL the mods from my game since I can see them in ckan?

@chesburger0430Your question has been merged into the CKAN thread.

4 hours ago, chesburger0430 said:

Hi, thanks for commenting. We'll need a lot more info to figure out what's going on in your case.

• Which "random mods"?
  • Which mods did you intentionally install?
  • Is "the steam version of KSP" the one where you installed mods?
  • When you say you "can see them in ckan", do they show up as installed with checkboxes, or as "AD", or something else?

So...that was relatively painless compared to previous KSP upgrades. I had a hiccup when my crappy internet decided to lock-up in the middle of downloading my selected mods. Wasn't sure if CKAN would notice and say something...it never seemed to...so I hit "cancel" and then "retry". Things looked a little wonky on the status screen, after that, but everything appears to have finally downloaded and installed.

Only 5 mods did not show up on the "compatible" (1.8.1) list: Squidsoft Collective (Fuel Cell Tweaks), MechJeb2 Embedded, GroundConstruction, 000_AT_Utils (perhaps comes with GroundConstruction?) and EveEngines (the Eve enhanced engine mod). Unfortunately, when starting KSP now, I get a "missing parts" message for several ships (S-I-G-H) for 3 parts...I'm pretty sure they are all USI parts based on using CKAN to download (but not installing, see below) various USI mods and looking at the parts.

Going forward, if I decide to add another compatible mod from the CKAN list, do I have to uncheck all the currently installed mods and only check the new mod I want to install...or will CKAN ignore already installed mods and only download and install the new one? I'm leery to try until I hear from the experts.

CKAN worked as advertised...but everything else is jacked. Apparently KAS can't be happy unless it jerks every craft I have in flight, every time I upgrade it? ScanSat is apparently no better...I'm suddenly missing scanners on existing craft? What...did the Kraken take them? Why do I bother saving my career when upgrading KSP? It's ridiculous. I will start all over in 1.8.1...but will never upgrade again until I finish a career path...I'm done with ships in orbit or mining on a planet becoming unusable because of suddenly "missing parts" or ships in the VAB that now won't work because of "missing parts". I spent over a 18 months, real time year getting to where I "was" in this latest career...only to see it destroyed. When modders learn to upgrade my saved ships to their new parts, in my saved games, then we will talk. Until then, somebody explain to me the point of saving a Career when upgrading???

On the plus side, CKAN worked as advertised.

Rant over.

Edited by strider3

23 hours ago, strider3 said:

CKAN worked as advertised...but everything else is jacked. Apparently KAS can't be happy unless it jerks every craft I have in flight, every time I upgrade it? ScanSat is apparently no better...I'm suddenly missing scanners on existing craft? What...did the Kraken take them? Why do I bother saving my career when upgrading KSP? It's ridiculous. I will start all over in 1.8.1...but will never upgrade again until I finish a career path...I'm done with ships in orbit or mining on a planet becoming unusable because of suddenly "missing parts" or ships in the VAB that now won't work because of "missing parts". I spent over a 18 months, real time year getting to where I "was" in this latest career...only to see it destroyed. When modders learn to upgrade my saved ships to their new parts, in my saved games, then we will talk. Until then, somebody explain to me the point of saving a Career when upgrading???

Well, you have learned in a hard and unfortunate way why is always advised to make a backup. And why you should have separate copy of KSP for moded game from main steam install (if you use steam). Can't blame modders on this, they can't predict what can be broken in next KSP update. How much API is changed, or it depends on unity game engine changes (in some of KSP upgrades). You should always make a backup whenever you do some updete. Even if you only update some mods, they can have changes that may break your saved games. I can only suggest to start using S.A.V.E. mod, so you don't bother to do manual backup of saved games wit expence on some extra HDD space. Sorry for your loss of data, though.

Edited by kcs123
added direct link