CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

On 10/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, HebaruSan said:

Hmm...

aGwJ0S8.png

EVE-1.2.2-1 string identical...? Must be a coincidence!

But those are only config files.  I manually installed them into a test and they worked fine.

The DLL is 1.10.1-3, it's only the config files which are listed as 1.2.2.1

Different subject:  Now that tags are fully implemented, how does one search on a tag?  For example, a common tag is "plugin", so how can I do a search and show all mods with plugins?  or all mods which have the "science" tag?

When I click the up-arrow at the bottom, it shows all the fields, except for tags

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

But those are only config files.

And they conflict with the mod you're trying to install.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Different subject:  Now that tags are fully implemented, how does one search on a tag?  For example, a common tag is "plugin", so how can I do a search and show all mods with plugins?  or all mods which have the "science" tag?

Check the filters list.   https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/2936

cXvECR9.png

You can also click the tags listed in a mod's description and show/hide them in the grid headers' right click menu.

The CKAN client v1.29.0 "Eddington" is released!

Eddington Plate

Changes since v1.28.0

Features

• [GUI] Search dropdown (#3175 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Allow installation into Ships/Script (#3180 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)

Bugfixes

• [Multiple] Purge CurlSharp (#3118 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett, techman83)
  • [Core] Delete Authtoken when setting to null (#3119 by: Olympic1; reviewed: HebaruSan, DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Better message when ZipFile throws NotSupportedException (#3128 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Fix missing DLC registration gap (#3136 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Satisfy dependencies with installed incompatible modules (#3137 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Extend -single-instance fix to 1.10 (#3153 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Escape '&' in mod list, fix path in GUIConfig.xml exception (#3149 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Print message for unknown install exception (#3164 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Search timer for Linux (#3167 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [ConsoleUI] ConsoleUI fixes for DLC (#3165 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Don't fail modpack export when having unindexed mods installed (#3139 by: DasSkelett, HebaruSan; reviewed: HebaruSan, DasSkelett)

Internal

• [Build] Move to PackageReferences (#3125 by: Olympic1; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Build] Cache build tools (#3127 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Netkan] Remove invalid zip files in NetKAN (#3156 by DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Build] Tests should cleanup its environment (#3132 by Olympic1; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Netkan] Retry failed web requests, fix install stanza error (#3166 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Netkan] Delete netkan tmp files if cache fills up (#3169 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)

Notes

• You don't need to download AutoUpdate.exe. This is used internally by CKAN when a new version is released.
  • Windows users must have .NET 4.5 installed. Simply download the ckan.exe file and either store it in your game directory or somewhere in your filesystem where you have non-admin write access. Never run the CKAN client as Administrator!
  • The .dmg is for installation on systems running macOS.
  • The .deb file is for automated installation on Debian-based Linux distributions - Use dpkg-install/apt-get/apt to install the .deb file and you will then be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies.
  • The .rpm file is for automated installation on rpm-based distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE. Use rpm/yum/dnf/zypper to install the .rpm file and you will be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies.
  • Arch-based Linux users can install the CKAN client from the Arch User Repository, so don't download anything from here!
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please use the cert-sync tool to update mono's certificate store if required.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono releases prior to 5.16.0. We highly recommend upgrading to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

Released image under public domain (published before 1923), courtesy of Wikipedia

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.29.0

10 minutes ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

And Allowing Installation into Ships/Scripts? :D

Well this is amazing, dont need to download crafts. it manually!

It's a kOS thing. We got a request to index somebody's script pack, but the only folder we can put them in is Ships/Script. If there was anyplace under GameData that kOS would check, that would have been better, but there's not.

I'm curious how CKAN works when updating to a newer version of KSP? Will CKAN update all my installed mods on say KSP 1.7.3 to the correct mod versions for KSP 1.8.1? If so, what does updating my KSP version look like, to allow CKAN to get the correct, newer mods versions? Let me explain how I have updated KSP, over the years:

I will make a copy of my "Saves" and any other files I want to keep to use in the updated KSP version I am moving to.

I have KSP on a dedicated HDD, after making the needed copies, I format the drive (I know...but Microsoft Flight Simulator "taught" me, the hard and painful way, to use this procedure, years ago  :P).

I install the KSP version I am moving to on this clean HDD.

I copy my "Saves", and any other things I want to keep, into the new install of KSP.

I get the feeling this procedure would not work with CKAN?

Any enlightenment on how to update KSP, with CKAN, would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, strider3 said:

I'm curious how CKAN works when updating to a newer version of KSP? Will CKAN update all my installed mods on say KSP 1.7.3 to the correct mod versions for KSP 1.8.1? If so, what does updating my KSP version look like, to allow CKAN to get the correct, newer mods versions? Let me explain how I have updated KSP, over the years:

I will make a copy of my "Saves" and any other files I want to keep to use in the updated KSP version I am moving to.

I have KSP on a dedicated HDD, after making the needed copies, I format the drive (I know...but Microsoft Flight Simulator "taught" me, the hard and painful way, to use this procedure, years ago  :P).

I install the KSP version I am moving to on this clean HDD.

I copy my "Saves", and any other things I want to keep, into the new install of KSP.

I get the feeling this procedure would not work with CKAN?

Any enlightenment on how to update KSP, with CKAN, would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to do it like that, you could export your installed mod list first, and then reinstall all mods on the new instance. Make sure "Save mod versions" is not selected when you export it, then CKAN will install the newest compatible versions on the new instance.

The other, common way is to to upgrade KSP via Steam. After a restart, CKAN will automatically detect when the KSP version changed, and ask you to confirm your selection of compatible KSP version. Afterwards you can upgrade to the newest available mod versions as usual.

1 hour ago, DasSkelett said:

If you want to do it like that, you could export your installed mod list first, and then reinstall all mods on the new instance. Make sure "Save mod versions" is not selected when you export it, then CKAN will install the newest compatible versions on the new instance.

The other, common way is to to upgrade KSP via Steam. After a restart, CKAN will automatically detect when the KSP version changed, and ask you to confirm your selection of compatible KSP version. Afterwards you can upgrade to the newest available mod versions as usual.

When you say, "you could export your installed mod list first"...are you meaning with CKAN, installed in KSP 1.7.3? Or, do you mean copying my entire "Game Data" folder, minus the folders that come with KSP ("Squad", etc.)? I'm going the say you meant the first.

The problem I have with a Steam upgrade, or any upgrade...what if my "required" mods aren't available in the new KSP version? This is the problem I always run into...and why I am still on KSP 1.7.3. I like knowing that my new version of KSP has all the mods I need and use. So far, the only way I can guarantee that is the tedious process of checking all my mods for updates that will work in a newer version of KSP.

8 minutes ago, strider3 said:

When you say, "you could export your installed mod list first"...are you meaning with CKAN, installed in KSP 1.7.3? Or, do you mean copying my entire "Game Data" folder, minus the folders that come with KSP ("Squad", etc.)? I'm going the say you meant the first.

Yeah, the first one. CKAN has an option to export your currently installed mods as modpack. It lets you save a .ckan file, which CKAN can install mods from again later.
To export, use "File > Export modpack...", and to import, once you've set up your new instance use "File > Install from .ckan...".
You should export the mods as recommendations (select all, click on "Recommends"), so the installation won't fail on the new instance if one or more mods aren't compatible anymore.

13 minutes ago, strider3 said:

The problem I have with a Steam upgrade, or any upgrade...what if my "required" mods aren't available in the new KSP version? This is the problem I always run into...and why I am still on KSP 1.7.3. I like knowing that my new version of KSP has all the mods I need and use. So far, the only way I can guarantee that is the tedious process of checking all my mods for updates that will work in a newer version of KSP.

Yeah, unfortunately this is how it is with KSP mods. At least CKAN makes it a bit easier to check whether there are mod releases compatible with a newer version of KSP, with the "Versions" tab on the right.
This still won't tell you everything, sometimes mods still work but authors didn't update the compatibility information. There you'll have to check the forum threads. Maybe you'll even have to try it out yourself, just make sure you start a new save for testing and don't touch your old one until you're confident everything works. It's tedious, but fortunately KSP doesn't update that often.

1 hour ago, strider3 said:

@DasSkelett Which CKAN version do I need for KSP 1.7.3 (so I can install it and export my modpack before upgrading KSP)? I'm looking at Github but not seeing a KSP version relation to the various CKAN version downloads?

CKAN is KSP version independent so the newest version is the one you want.

"Just place the executable in any folder you like: the client can manage all your KSP installations from anywhere on your disk, so you don't have to worry about its location."

I'm going to guess it needs to be on the same disk as your KSP installation? Mine is on a dedicated KSP HDD is why I mention this. Correct me if my assumption is incorrect, please...but be gentle about it :sticktongue:.

Edited by strider3

30 minutes ago, strider3 said:

"Just place the executable in any folder you like: the client can manage all your KSP installations from anywhere on your disk, so you don't have to worry about its location."

I'm going to guess it needs to be on the same disk as your KSP installation? Mine is on a dedicated KSP HDD is why I mention this. Correct me if my assumption is incorrect, please...but be gentle about it :sticktongue:.

Not even that, any disk works. However since your KSP installation is not in the default location, CKAN probably won't be able to detect it automatically, so you'll have to add it yourself. You can put ckan.exe inside your KSP directory, then it will detect it automatically again, but it's not required.

Edited by DasSkelett

49 minutes ago, DasSkelett said:

Not even that, any disk works. However since your KSP installation is not in the default location, CKAN probably won't be able to detect it automatically, so you'll have to add it yourself. You can put ckan.exe inside your KSP directory, then it will detect it automatically again, but it's not required.

I put it on my KSP HDD, but not in my KSP folder on that HDD. It's all temporary, at this point...I just want it to export my modpack to a "safe place" before I start all over with the new KSP version on the clean HDD.

Thanks!

Does KSP have to be running for the CKAN window to show all installed Mods? I just ran CKAN without KSP running and it shows about 1/3 of my installed mods in the list. I know that all my installed mods are working when in game. This does not lend me confidence. You have to understand that I have been PC gaming for over 25 years, including the infamous MSFS years...I get a bit..."antsy"...when something doesn't agree with my  "expectations".

I will continue with KSP 1.7.3 until I have more reassurance.

Edited by strider3

15 hours ago, strider3 said:

Does KSP have to be running for the CKAN window to show all installed Mods? I just ran CKAN without KSP running and it shows about 1/3 of my installed mods in the list. I know that all my installed mods are working when in game. This does not lend me confidence. You have to understand that I have been PC gaming for over 25 years, including the infamous MSFS years...I get a bit..."antsy"...when something doesn't agree with my  "expectations".

Wait, now after reading your recent comments here and in the Astrogator thread, it sounds like you haven't used CKAN before, and you didn't install your current mods through CKAN?

In this case you won't actually be able to export them as modpack. CKAN can only export mods you installed with it, your first comment sounded like you did.
Your best bet is probably just installing the mods fresh on the new instance, going by the folders in GameData of your old instance.

To answer your question, no, KSP doesn't have to be running for CKAN, actually it shouldn't run while installing mods with CKAn, otherwise files might be locked (on Windows), or KSP gets confused and scary things happen.
CKAN can only detect a subset of the mods you have installed manually. They need to have a DLL whose name is similar to the identifier of the mod in CKAN. So mods that are only ModuleManager patches, textures or other config files can't be detected by CKAN.

1 hour ago, DasSkelett said:

Wait, now after reading your recent comments here and in the Astrogator thread, it sounds like you haven't used CKAN before, and you didn't install your current mods through CKAN?

In this case you won't actually be able to export them as modpack. CKAN can only export mods you installed with it, your first comment sounded like you did.
Your best bet is probably just installing the mods fresh on the new instance, going by the folders in GameData of your old instance.

To answer your question, no, KSP doesn't have to be running for CKAN, actually it shouldn't run while installing mods with CKAn, otherwise files might be locked (on Windows), or KSP gets confused and scary things happen.
CKAN can only detect a subset of the mods you have installed manually. They need to have a DLL whose name is similar to the identifier of the mod in CKAN. So mods that are only ModuleManager patches, textures or other config files can't be detected by CKAN.

That is correct, first attempt with CKAN. OK, that makes sense. If I understand...I can run CKAN on a new, unmodded version of KSP and use it to download and install the mods I want?