CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

Hi!

Just asking, is CKAN worth it? (Like, is it safe, easy to use, etc.?)

I currently have about 20-40 mods installed (I just started modding my game recently) and with more and more news of the 1.11 update coming out, I'm worried that I will have to waste time going through all the mods' forum posts to download the updated versions.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, AeroSky said:

Hi!

I currently have about 20-40 mods installed (I just started modding my game recently) and with more and more news of the 1.11 update coming out, I'm worried that I will have to waste time going through all the mods' forum posts to download the updated versions.

Thanks!

CKAN is Very Safe And Easy To Use, It doesn't contain any virus or malware.

And CKAN Can Update All Your Mods In One.

You can play 1.11 If the mods are ok, if there any bugs with the mod Please tell the Mod Author.

Usually Most Mods Work With Future KSP Version And Usally Modder's Don't Update At The Time Of A New KSP Version Release.

7 hours ago, AeroSky said:

Hi!

Thanks!

Safe? Yes. Easy to use? Sorta, the interface is a bit clunky. But worth it? In my opinion, not really, for only 20-40 mods. Sometimes CKAN pulls the mod from the wrong place, pulls an outdated version, etc.

2 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Safe? Yes. Easy to use? Sorta, the interface is a bit clunky. But worth it? In my opinion, not really, for only 20-40 mods. Sometimes CKAN pulls the mod from the wrong place, pulls an outdated version, etc.

What wrong places do you mean? CKAN only downloads the mods from the official sources, where mod authors uploaded them to. These are pretty much always SpaceDock or GitHub. The only exception is when a mod or mod version got deleted from its original source, then CKAN tries to fall back to archive.org. Please give us a list of mods you think we pull from "wrong places", so we can take a look.

For which mods does CKAN pull an outdated version? Indexing is automated, so new mod releases should be indexed within 30 minutes. Same as above, if you know mods where CKAN lacks behind, please report them to us (here or even better there), so we can take a look and potentially fix them. But we can't fix what we don't know of.

Hi again!

Just asking, does CKAN auto-detect mods you have installed before you downloaded CKAN? (Like, will manually downloaded mods show up on CKAN's list of installed mods?)

Also, can you still install manually even if you have CKAN?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, AeroSky said:

Just asking, does CKAN auto-detect mods you have installed before you downloaded CKAN? (Like, will manually downloaded mods show up on CKAN's list of installed mods?)

Sort of.  It may detect the presence of a mod but it will flag it as "AD" (auto detected).  You can't use CKAN to manage those mods.  You have to manually remove them and re-add them using CKAN to change the way you manage them.  You'll have to update those mods yourself, as well, until you do.

3 hours ago, AeroSky said:

Also, can you still install manually even if you have CKAN?

Yes, you can but see above.  Unless it's absolutely required by a mod, once you start using CKAN I would recommend you use it for all your mods unless you experience an installation problem.  You should then post the problem here.

Hey folks, I've been away for a long time.  Got the latest KSP and CKAN, and was surprised Chatterer is not listed as compatible.  Is there a good reason?

I would have thought it's one of the most popular mods, that's why I'm surprised.

I notice under versions it says 1.8-1.9.99.  I think 1.9.99 was used by dev's to indicate all future 1.9.x versions going forward, and am guessing nobody anticipated there'd be a 1.10?

Edited by Fwiffo

29 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

Is there a good reason?

Yes:  CKAN is faithfully representing the expressed will of the author/maintainer. The SpaceDock entry says 1.9, the embedded version file says 1.9, the remote version file says 1.9:

Even the forum thread still says 1.9:

As far as I know most mods for 1.9 also work in 1.10, but it's not 100%, and in this case there are at least three places where the author could indicate 1.10 support if it was intended and has not done so. We try to be careful about overriding authors' clear wishes as if we know better.

I think a growing number of users are overriding the compatible versions to handle situations like this, which allows installation without CKAN creating an impression of author support that isn't accurate:

Is there any information, on how to "auto update" with new releases? I read the wiki on how to create netkan files and how to submit it. As I understand, the bot will check github for newer versions? Do I have to place the .netkan file somewhere specific, so changes, e.g. in supported versions get picked up?

1 hour ago, chris-kerbal said:

Is there any information, on how to "auto update" with new releases? I read the wiki on how to create netkan files and how to submit it. As I understand, the bot will check github for newer versions?

That's right, the bot automatically checks indexed mods for any updates. See this post for the current approximate schedule:

Do I have to place the .netkan file somewhere specific, so changes, e.g. in supported versions get picked up?

Yes, .netkan files need to go in the main NetKAN repo (usually via a pull request from a user fork):

That's where the bot looks for netkans to check.

31 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's right, the bot automatically checks indexed mods for any updates. See this post for the current approximate schedule:

Yes, .netkan files need to go in the main NetKAN repo (usually via a pull request from a user fork):

That's where the bot looks for netkans to check.

Yes, I understood that for the initial adding to the repository.

Do I then have to resent the netkan file for every release or change in the metadata? I could understand that a bot finds new github releases, but metadata, like compatible KSP versions or dependencies were in the netkan file. Couldn't I store that somewhere in the repository so it gets picked up by the bot as well?

2 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

metadata, like compatible KSP versions or dependencies were in the netkan file. Couldn't I store that somewhere in the repository so it gets picked up by the bot as well?

The best way of handling compatible KSP versions is with a version file inside the download ZIP. CKAN can then read the file and use it to generate the equivalent CKAN metadata, without having to update the .netkan file:

Dependencies are normally put in the .netkan in the main NetKAN repo because they don't change very often, but you can also put them in a .ckan file inside the download. I do that with Astrogator:

Failing that, it's also possible to create a "meta-netkan", in which the main netkan file points to another netkan file in your repo that has the metadata in it. Most of Nertea's mod are handled this way, for example:

However, this makes it more cumbersome for the CKAN team to perform searches and bulk maintenance of netkans, so it's best reserved for when there's really a need for it and sufficient commitment and expertise to support it.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The best way of handling compatible KSP versions is with a version file inside the download ZIP. CKAN can then read the file and use it to generate the equivalent CKAN metadata, without having to update the .netkan file:

Dependencies are normally put in the .netkan in the main NetKAN repo because they don't change very often, but you can also put them in a .ckan file inside the download. I do that with Astrogator:

Failing that, it's also possible to create a "meta-netkan", in which the main netkan file points to another netkan file in your repo that has the metadata in it. Most of Nertea's mod are handled this way, for example:

However, this makes it more cumbersome for the CKAN team to perform searches and bulk maintenance of netkans, so it's best reserved for when there's really a need for it and sufficient commitment and expertise to support it.

Ok, thanks! These examples helped a lot.

8 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

As far as I can tell, it seems to work fine. Maybe if you said something about what you're doing or what isn't working.

what version do you use? because parallax wont work in 1.9.1, 1.10 kopernicus doesnt work, and none of them can i download beyond home on. i have to force download

The CKAN client v1.29.2 "Freedman" is released!

Giant Magellan Telescope

Changes since v1.29.0

Features

• [Multiple] Allow upgrading manually installed modules (#3190 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Build] Generate APT repo for releases and under dev builds (#3197, #3201, #3202, #3203, #3208, #3215 by: HebaruSan, techman83; reviewed: DasSkelett, HebaruSan)
  • [Cmdline] Confirmation prompt for Cmdline upgrades (#3204 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Allow sort by multiple columns (#3205 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)

Bugfixes

• [GUI] Search UI fixes (#3198 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Fix error when removing file from GameRoot (#3196 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Multiple] Streamline Mac onboarding (#3199 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Fix dependency resolution in mod upgrades (#3200 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Suppress confirmation prompt for GUI upgrades (#3206 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Manage repos with separate name and URL fields (#3214 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)

Internal

• [Build] Upgrade DLL build to .NET 5 (#3194 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Netkan] Netkan warning for craft files installed outside Ships folder (#3207, #3213 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)

Notes

• You don't need to download AutoUpdate.exe. This is used internally by CKAN when a new version is released.
  • Windows users must have .NET 4.5 installed. Simply download the ckan.exe file and either store it in your game directory or somewhere in your filesystem where you have non-admin write access. Never run the CKAN client as Administrator!
  • The .dmg is for installation on systems running macOS.
  • The .deb file is for installation on Debian-based Linux distributions - Use dpkg-install/apt-get/apt to install the .deb file and you will then be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies. You can also install from our APT repo for automated updates:
    sudo curl -sS -o /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ksp-ckan.gpg https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/master/debian/ksp-ckan.gpg
    sudo apt-add-repository -u -y deb https://ksp-ckan.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/deb stable main
    sudo apt install ckan

• The .rpm file is for installation on rpm-based distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE. Use rpm/yum/dnf/zypper to install the .rpm file and you will be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies.
  • Arch-based Linux users can install the CKAN client from the Arch User Repository, so don't download anything from here!
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please use the cert-sync tool to update mono's certificate store if required.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono releases prior to 5.16.0. We highly recommend upgrading to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

Released image under CC-BY-SA-3.0, courtesy of Wikipedia

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.29.2

Edited by HebaruSan

Cannot Download mods after installing new CKAN. I get an error code that states something didn't have permissions to do something to a file in the temp folder. Here is the error code.

"Unhandled exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp4D2C.tmp' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost) at CKAN.NetAsyncModulesDownloader.ModuleDownloadComplete(Uri url, String filename, Exception error) at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.FileDownloadComplete(Int32 index, Exception error) at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.NetAsyncDownloaderDownloadPart.<ResetAgent>b__20_1(Object sender, AsyncCompletedEventArgs args) at System.Net.WebClient.OnDownloadFileCompleted(AsyncCompletedEventArgs e) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()"

On 11/16/2020 at 9:01 PM, Krzysztof z Bagien said:

I'm unable to downlowad any updates via CKAN, including its autoupdater. It simply downloads several KBs of data (if anything!) and gets stuck. The same goes for downloading CKAN autoupdater directly from GitHub.

Yeah I have the same issue! Is yours cuz of a temp file not having the right permissions to run?