CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

An announcement for (some) mod authors!

The NetKAN repo has long had some pretty comprehensive validation checks for pull requests, which download and install mods in a sandbox to make sure everything is OK. But if your mod is indexed via a meta-netkan, with most of the actual metadata on your own repo, this wasn't available to you.  Now it is!

We just finished transforming the old validation scripts into a GitHub Action that can be configured to run on your repo, which will run the same validation checks that the official NetKAN repo uses. That way when you make changes to your metadata, you can see the effects in real time and immediately be notified of syntax errors, spec version problems, version compatibility inconsistencies, file collisions with dependencies, and much more.

Details and setup instructions are in the README here:

Happy modding!

Quick query CKAN crew! I'm using the console version of CKAN on OSX, is it possible to force compatibility across multiple versions of KSP a la the GUI version with a command line string? It's the only thing keeping me from really digging into KSP on my Mac install...heh.  Can't seem to find relevant info.

1 hour ago, fumesoflycra said:

Quick query CKAN crew! I'm using the console version of CKAN on OSX, is it possible to force compatibility across multiple versions of KSP a la the GUI version with a command line string? It's the only thing keeping me from really digging into KSP on my Mac install...heh.  Can't seem to find relevant info.

Yes, if you press F10 to open the menu, choose "Select KSP Install...", then use the arrow keys to highlight your game instance and press 'e' to edit it, the table at the bottom is the compatible versions list just like in GUI. Press tab to move the cursor to it then 'a' to add a new version.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:35 AM, Noahdaceo said:

Yeah I have the same issue! Is yours cuz of a temp file not having the right permissions to run?

Sorry for not answering earlier, but it's been very busy time for me - there was no error message or anything, it simply wouldn't downlowad.
Anyway, it's not relevant any more, as it seems the issue resolved itself and CKAN works as intended right now.

Hi @HebaruSan, just a brief question: I upgraded from 1.10.1 to KSP 1.11, updated some mods to that version, had to revert to 1.10.1 due to newly introduced bugs with 1.11.0. Now I get this warning

CKAN-v1-29-2-KSP-1-10-1-2939-D-Kerbal-Sp

The two updated mods are in fact downward compatible with 1.10.1, not a problem, but how to get rid of this warning? I could add 1.11.0 to the list of compatible mods, yes, but that would offer me too mods that might not be downward compatible with 1.10.1. Hence I'd like to have something like a simple checkbox like "don't ask me for these mods again", is that possible?

Edited by VoidSquid

5 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

The two updated mods are in fact downward compatible with 1.10.1, not a problem, but how to get rid of this warning? I could add 1.11.0 to the list of compatible mods, yes, but that would offer me too mods that might not be downward compatible with 1.10.1. Hence I'd like to have something like a simple checkbox like "don't ask me for these mods again", is that possible?

There's an open feature request for that here: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/2955

It's currently not possible, for now you have to live with the warning, or downgrade the mods again.

Hey, today I opened CKAN in the version 1.29.2 and opened my KSP 1.11 install to install some mods, but CKAN on the "Updating repositories" part, threw an error or something, the Cancel button does nothing upon pressed, I closed CKAN and started it again to see the same error, therefore I am reporting this here as I don't know if it is a known error or something else.

Screenshot:

unknown.png?width=891&height=475

1 hour ago, Commodore_32 said:

Hey, today I opened CKAN in the version 1.29.2 and opened my KSP 1.11 install to install some mods, but CKAN on the "Updating repositories" part, threw an error or something, the Cancel button does nothing upon pressed, I closed CKAN and started it again to see the same error, therefore I am reporting this here as I don't know if it is a known error or something else.

This was because RTB's server, which hosts the custom repository for Kopernicus Bleeding Edge, was unreachable for several hours today. It seems to be fixed now.

Since this happens every now and then: the next time you can just remove the repository from the settings while it's down. Then you can still use CKAN normally for all other mods, just not update Kopernicus BE in case an update gets released while the server is down.

Hi fellow Kerbonauts, I've a little cosmetic issue with my CKAN, the first column looks a bit garbled:

CKAN-v1-29-2-KSP-1-10-1-2939-D-Kerbal-Sp

The column header used to be "Inst", but now the text and the checkbox are kind of merged together, and I can't figure out how to untangle it. Changing the column with doesn't help.

What did I do wrong here?

Thanks in advance, and as I said, it's a purely cosmetic issue, not really important, it just looks weird.

Exactly how is compatibility determined by CKAN. I marked KSPIE compatible with KSP 1.8.1 and up in the version file. IT appears this isn't used by CKAN as players that play with KSP 1.10 do not see the latest releases.

Edited by FreeThinker

I saved a ongoing KSP Dir under another name in order to test the new KSP Update install.  After testing I decided to go back to my older rev.  I have done this the past and things worked fine. This time when I did it ALL my mods were removed. Anyway to recover? I see there is a History folder, any help??

Thanks

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Exactly how is compatibility determined by CKAN. I marked KSPIE compatible with KSP 1.8.1 and up in the version file. IT appears this isn't used by CKAN as players that play with KSP 1.10 do not see the latest releases.

KSPInterstellarExtended 1.26.12 is marked as compatible with KSP 1.8.1–1.11.0, based on its version file:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/KSPInterstellarExtended/KSPInterstellarExtended-1.26.12.ckan

"ksp_version_min": "1.8.1",
    "ksp_version_max": "1.11.0",

If some users are not seeing an update, it's possible that there's an issue with a dependency. Or a conflict? Maybe this is what prompted the removal of KiwiTechTree's conflict with your mod?

2 hours ago, DareDrop said:

Anyway to recover? I see there is a History folder, any help??

Yes, "File → Install from .ckan..." can be used to install the files in the <KSP>/CKAN/history folder, which contain the previous lists of mods you've had installed, as if they were modpacks. However...

2 hours ago, DareDrop said:

I saved a ongoing KSP Dir under another name in order to test the new KSP Update install.  After testing I decided to go back to my older rev.  I have done this the past and things worked fine. This time when I did it ALL my mods were removed.

Files don't just disappear. Guessing what happened, maybe this time instead of copying the KSP folder, you accidentally moved it, and a fresh installation was downloaded by Steam? Then when you deleted what you thought was the "copy", all you had left was that fresh installation. That would explain why no mods were installed when you went back to what you thought was the original.

If this is what happeened, then the files in the history folder would be missing or out of date, because they would have been moved and then deleted along with the mods. Unfortunately there is probably no way to get back to the previous state of your KSP folder if it was deleted.

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

KSPInterstellarExtended 1.26.12 is marked as compatible with KSP 1.8.1–1.11.0, based on its version file:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/KSPInterstellarExtended/KSPInterstellarExtended-1.26.12.ckan

"ksp_version_min": "1.8.1",
    "ksp_version_max": "1.11.0",

If some users are not seeing an update, it's possible that there's an issue with a dependency. Or a conflict? Maybe this is what prompted the removal of KiwiTechTree's conflict with your mod?

Apparently it was just a matter up updating the CKAN repository and updating the mod. But he got me alarmed thinking my assumtion on CKAN were wrong.  It seems to work as it should and I did everything right

Edited by FreeThinker

Sorry if this is common knowledge but I couldn't find anything through searching. Is there a way to ignore a specific version update of a mod so that it doesn't appear in the upgradeable list anymore? A mod I am using added a dependency that I don't want to install, so I'd like to stay on the old version. However, when I select the older version, it still shows up as an update. 

9 hours ago, Zelda said:

Sorry if this is common knowledge but I couldn't find anything through searching. Is there a way to ignore a specific version update of a mod so that it doesn't appear in the upgradeable list anymore? A mod I am using added a dependency that I don't want to install, so I'd like to stay on the old version. However, when I select the older version, it still shows up as an update. 

As of now that's not possible, but this feature is currently being worked on: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/3220