CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Nobumon said:

I moved my steam library to a new disk, the mods are still in the install but are unchecked in CKAN. Can I fix this or do I need to recheck all the mods?

If you still have your CKAN folder from the old game folder, copying it across to the new KSP folder should bring the state of your installed mods along for the ride.

4 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

I'm not sure my mod has been picked up by CKAN, I know this can happen occasionally.

Can you look into this please, I know there is a way I can do something on Github but I am not sure how! 

Hi, thanks for letting us know. The wheels are in motion, both on adding your mod (I had a clarification question on your thread) and on fixing the bug that is dropping these notifications for us.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, I also posted this in the Interstellar Fuel Switch thread, but that mod is set in CKAN to depend on Community Tech Tree even though it isn't actually required or listed as a dependency  in the forum thread.  If you want to play without CTT but also use IFS, then you have to install it manually.  Would be nice if the dependency were removed since having to install a modded tech tree with a bunch of empty nodes is pretty unnecessary for people like me who are playing with a mostly stock parts list.

1 hour ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

it isn't actually required or listed as a dependency  in the forum thread

OK, this is true, but that may be because it's bundled in IFS's download ZIP instead:

5cLzJge.png

Typically when a mod author puts another mod in the download ZIP, it's at least as required as if it was specified in the OP. The expectation tends to be that the user will unpack whatever is in the ZIP into GameData, so leaving that out when copying to GameData would be considered an incomplete install. For example, that was precisely what happened with this mod and TweakScale back in May of last year; TweakScale was bundled in the ZIP but not added as a dependency to CKAN, and things broke (and which led us to examine the bundled mods more closely and add CTT as a dependency in the first place).

So this is an ambiguous case. We have a bundled mod, suggesting the mod author considers it a dependency, and we have a user report that IFS works if the bundled mod is not installed. If @FreeThinker confirms that CTT is optional here, then it would make sense to remove it, otherwise it looks like this would break something for someone and we'd hear about it later and have to roll it back.

Edited by HebaruSan
Correct history of TweakScale depends

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

So this is an ambiguous case. We have a bundled mod, suggesting the mod author considers it a dependency, and we have a user report that IFS works if the bundled mod is not installed. If @FreeThinker confirms that CTT is optional here, then it would make sense to remove it, otherwise it looks like this would break something for someone and we'd hear about it later and have to roll it back.

I see.  Well, thank you for looking into it.   The mod certainly works without CTT, since I removed it and have been using it without.   I installed it through CKAN and just deleted the CTT directory since my modlist is basically complete and I have no intentions of installing anything else that has CTT as a dependency.   I did drop a line in the IFS thread so hopefully @FreeThinkercan chime in and clear things up.  If there isn't an actual need by the mod for CTT to be installed it just seems unnecessary to have it as a bundled dependency, since a modded tech tree is (as far as I can tell) completely unrelated to the purpose of a mod that lets you change tank fuel types.

8 minutes ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

The mod certainly works without CTT

That can be a surprisingly difficult determination to make. Depending on the reasons why it was bundled in the first place, it might be doing something that coincidentally doesn't affect your gameplay, but which is crucially important for someone else. It's pretty rare that anyone other than the author of a mod actually tests every single thing you can do with that mod when reporting whether it seems to work.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:15 PM, DeliriumTrigger said:

I see.  Well, thank you for looking into it.   The mod certainly works without CTT, since I removed it and have been using it without.   I installed it through CKAN and just deleted the CTT directory since my modlist is basically complete and I have no intentions of installing anything else that has CTT as a dependency.   I did drop a line in the IFS thread so hopefully @FreeThinkercan chime in and clear things up.  If there isn't an actual need by the mod for CTT to be installed it just seems unnecessary to have it as a bundled dependency, since a modded tech tree is (as far as I can tell) completely unrelated to the purpose of a mod that lets you change tank fuel types.

Although KSP won't crash on startup without CTT installed, IFS expects certain technodes from CTT to be present to make the Fuel Tanks to appear in the VAB, and therefore function as intended. Wether to call this a requirement or recommendation is up for debate, I think it can go either way.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, DeliriumTrigger said:

If you want to play without CTT but also use IFS

Mind if I ask how you came to install IFS? Was it a dependency of some other mod, or did you select it yourself?

I ask because there's a module in CKAN called InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core, which installs the plugin and resource configs and not much else (and notably does not depend on CTT). The "full" IFS module then becomes a container for parts (which apparently sometimes need CTT to function as intended) and IVA scenery and such. If IFS was pulled in as a dependency, then we could check whether that dependency could be switched to IFS-Core, otherwise maybe you could try installing just IFS-Core and see if that works better for you?

The CKAN client v1.30.2 "Hawking" is released!

Stephen Hawking

Changes since v1.30.0

Features

• [GUI] Add pt-BR localization (#3340 by: gsantos9489; reviewed: DasSkelett, HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Multiple search boxes with OR logic in GUI (#3323, #3374 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: Olympic1, DasSkelett)

Bugfixes

• [GUI] Update dialog was too small for French localization (#3313 by: vinix38; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Build] Suppress nightly debs with even builds, push release debs to s3 first (#3317 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Handle renamed modlist columns in sort list gracefully (#3319 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Core] Fix AD mod upgrading, add tests, and fix all warnings (#3315 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Reset cache dir to default if creation fails (#3334 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Tell user if instance addition fails (#3332 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Tell SharpZipLib to use Unicode when opening zips (#3345 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Make incompatible mods warning dialog use newlines instead of commas (#3346 by: DeltaDizzy; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Fix crash when overwriting manually installed files (#3349 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Skip modules with parse errors in deserialization (#3347 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [ConsoleUI] Update or refresh ConsoleUI mod list after repo or compat changes (#3353 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Multiple] Replace repo-reinst with kraken, handle in UIs (#3344 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Multiple] Make ModuleInstaller a non-singleton (#3356 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Better recovery when registry.json is corrupted (#3351 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [CLI] Fix installation of metapackages on cmdline (#3362 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Multiple] Fix installation of AVP while removing EVE default configs (#3366 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)

Known Bugs

Notes

• You don't need to download AutoUpdate.exe. This is used internally by CKAN when a new version is released.
  • Windows: users must have .NET 4.5 installed. Simply download the ckan.exe file and either store it in your game directory or somewhere in your filesystem where you have non-admin write access. Never run the CKAN client as Administrator!
  • The .dmg is for installation on systems running macOS.
  • The .deb file is for installation on Debian-based Linux distributions - Use dpkg-install/apt-get/apt to install the .deb file and you will then be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies. You can also install from our APT repo for automated updates:
    sudo curl -sS -o /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ksp-ckan.gpg https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/master/debian/ksp-ckan.gpg
    sudo apt-add-repository -u -y 'deb https://ksp-ckan.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/deb stable main'
    sudo apt install ckan

• The .rpm file is for installation on rpm-based distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE. Use rpm/yum/dnf/zypper to install the .rpm file and you will be able to run CKAN with just ckan. All required libraries should be pulled in as dependencies.
  • Arch-based Linux users can install the CKAN client from the Arch User Repository, if it doesn't work install mono, download the ckan.exe and run with "mono ckan.exe".
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please use the cert-sync tool to update mono's certificate store if required.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono releases prior to 5.16.0. We highly recommend upgrading to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.
  • CKAN releases are built in clean-room conditions and do not contain viruses. If your virus scanner reports a problem, it's a false positive. Please report it to the company that produces your virus scanner, not us, since it's their software that's not working properly.

Release image under public domain (created by NASA), courtesy of Wikipedia

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.30.2

Please send some love towards two new contributors, helping to make CKAN better!

• @DeltaDizzy making the incompatible mods warning dialog more readable
  • @gsantos9489 providing a Brazilian Portuguese translation for the GUI
Edited by DasSkelett

3 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Hi! It seems that TETRIXTechTree isn't the latest version - i got a message from @Cruesoe that the CKAN version had an Excel file which shouldn't be there.  Can you please have  a check?

The last version that CKAN has indexed is v2.7.20201221, which seems to match the latest version on SpaceDock. Downloading the zip from SpaceDock, it also contains a file  "~$Simplex Calculations THis One.xlsx", is this the one you are speaking of? Should we exclude that from installation through CKAN?

Just now, DasSkelett said:

The last version that CKAN has indexed is v2.7.20201221, which seems to match the latest version on SpaceDock. Downloading the zip from SpaceDock, it also contains a file  "~$Simplex Calculations THis One.xlsx", is this the one you are speaking of? Should we exclude that from installation through CKAN?

Oh.  I just downloaded and didn't see it the file...  I'll do an update - I have a few mods added in anyway.  Maybe it's a hidden file!

UPDATE - It is a hidden file.  Can't be used for anything.  Thanks for your help!

Just updated to CKAN 1.30.2 and now it won't open correctly- I select an instance, it goes through the loading screen but then freezes at "updating tray" and stops responding.

edit: it worked eventually

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Just updated to CKAN 1.30.2 and now it won't open correctly- I select an instance, it goes through the loading screen but then freezes at "updating tray" and stops responding.

Thanks, that sounds like a report we already got on Discord. It looks like a threading issue that only happens on some systems, and only when "Refresh on startup"/"Update repositories on launch" is enabled.

Can you try editing the file "<KSP>\CKAN\GUIConfig.xml" (where <KSP> is the path to your KSP installation) and change "<RefreshOnStartup>true</RefreshOnStartup>" to "<RefreshOnStartup>false</RefreshOnStartup>"?

From
  <RefreshOnStartup>true</RefreshOnStartup>
to
  <RefreshOnStartup>false</RefreshOnStartup>

Don't touch the "<RefreshOnStartupNoNag>" setting, just "<RefreshOnStartup>". If you have multiple KSP installations registered in CKAN, you might have to repeat this with the GUIConfig.xml of each KSP instance.
Yeah, another bug that needs a config file edited to work around, sorry for that.

Hello. I'm having trouble opening CKAN.

I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur version 11.3.1.

I downloaded CKAN v.1.30.2 "Hawking" from https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases. I have placed the CKAN executable on my desktop and CKAN.exe in my KSP directory (Library / Application Support / Steam / steamapps / common / Kerbal Space Program). I am running KSP 1.11.1, and the latest version of Mono.

When attempting to open CKAN, my security settings temporarily block it; however, once I permit it under System Preferences/Security & Privacy, all that happens is that the terminal opens, displaying the following message:

"The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

[Removed my username]-MacBook-Pro:~ [Username]$

I thought I troubleshot the login shell being used; IIRC, CKAN works with chsh-s/bin/bash, while the default for my Mac is chsh-s/bin/zsh.

Edited by ArmoredLipid
Clarified that I'm running Mono.

15 minutes ago, ArmoredLipid said:

I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur version 11.3.1.

You are toasted. Sorry.

CKAN is still using Windows Forms, a jurassic UI C# borrowed from Visual BASIC, and on Macs this thing is only available on Carbon, i.e., 32 bits. MacOS Mojave was the last MacOS version to support 32 bits applications (IIRC), so there's no way for you to use CKAN on UI mode (you can't even revert back to Mojave once you install Big Sur, you are really locked on it now. Sorry!)

But you still can use it on command line at least.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

You are toasted. Sorry.

CKAN is still using Windows Forms, a jurassic UI C# borrowed from Visual BASIC, and on Macs this thing is only available on Carbon, i.e., 32 bits. MacOS Mojave was the last MacOS version to support 32 bits applications (IIRC), so there's no way for you to use CKAN on UI mode (you can't even revert back to Mojave once you install Big Sur, you are really locked on it now. Sorry!)

But you still can use it on command line at least.

So, I have no clue how most of this actually works; I've been piecing things together based on ancient CKAN help requests, looking up terms people throw around on GitHub bug report pages, and working my way through https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

You said that CKAN is "still using" Windows Forms. Is it locked into that library forever, or (at some vague and indeterminate date in the far future) would it be possible to change that library to work outside of 32 bits?

Also, what does "using it on command line" mean?

15 hours ago, ArmoredLipid said:

So, I have no clue how most of this actually works; I've been piecing things together based on ancient CKAN help requests, looking up terms people throw around on GitHub bug report pages, and working my way through https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

Apple's Support had seen better days. I plain quit trying to figuring out things from there. Stackoverflow appears to be the way to go, the best technical info for MacOS I have come from there. But, granted, that guys are, most of the time, more technical oriented than user oriented...

(the current drama about Notifications being missed on iPhone is getting epic...)

15 hours ago, ArmoredLipid said:

You said that CKAN is "still using" Windows Forms. Is it locked into that library forever, or (at some vague and indeterminate date in the far future) would it be possible to change that library to work outside of 32 bits?

If I understand it correctly, CKAN is "divided" in 3 main "components":

1. The Core
  2. The Command Line Interface
  3. The Windows Forms (Graphical) Interface

Only the item 3 is locked into a 32 bits environment because nobody ported the Mono's Forms implementation out of the Carbon library. (Mono is a open source port of the C# runtime, Carbon is the Library for User Interface used on MacOS since the Classic Macs until MacOS Mountain Lion, when it was declared deprecated). Theoretically someone could migrate the Forms over something else, as SDL but nobody cares for Forms too much nowadays, as it appears. (I surely don't! :D )

Items 1 and 2 work fine on 64 bits.

So, yeah, all it needs is someone to rewrite the Item 3 to use something else, ideally GTK because this thing is 100% supported by Microsoft and it's available even for toasters nowadays. :)

-- -- POST EDIT -- -- 

Oh, yes... I forgot to explain about the command line interface. :)

It will works on the zsh without porblems, you will find a full guide here.

On a MacOS, you will probably need to type something like:

mono /Applications/CKAN.app/Contents/MacOS/ckan.exe help

on your terminal to use it. Hint: use an alias. Edit your ~/.profile file and add to it:

alias ckan="mono /Application/CKAN.app/Contents/MacOS/ckan.exe"

and you will be able to just

ckan help

to use it.

-- -- -- POST POST EDIT -- -- -- 

hey, I found something interesting that I didn't knew about!!! Calling CKAN with consoleui option will open a TUI driven menu for CKAN! Very handy, I think this will be a nice workaroud for you until someone writes a new GUI for CKAN!

Assuming you added that alias into .profile, type on a terminal:

ckan consoleui

And you will get:

kKdQCaA.png

No as smooth to use as a GUI, but it's better than the command line. :)

Edited by Lisias
Fixing the "Contentes" typo. :/

Thanks, @Lisias, that's a decent explanation of the state of the CKAN GUI on Mac. Yes, CKAN's GUI uses quite old technology (older than Visual Basic, I believe; the original Win32 GUI system, probably originally written and used in horrifying unreadable C, with a wrapper layer later available in .NET), because that's what got created back when there was excitement about making a CKAN GUI. At that time, such applications were able to run on Windows, Mac (with some glitches), and Linux, using the exact same compiled binary, which of course was too good of a situation to persist indefinitely. Sure enough, Apple eventually discontinued the support for 32-bit apps that Mono WinForms relied on, and here we are.

There have been assorted efforts since then to create new CKAN GUIs using newer toolkits, but none have been completed. It's a pretty huge project and easy to burn out. We've been watching MAUI to see whether it will be able to provide the "compile once, run anywhere" capability to which we have become accustomed, and the conflicting messages from Microsoft about Linux support have stymied that somewhat.

1 hour ago, ArmoredLipid said:

I have placed the CKAN executable on my desktop and CKAN.exe in my KSP directory (Library / Application Support / Steam / steamapps / common / Kerbal Space Program).

I don't know why MacOS is pestering you about zsh, but if you get the .dmg file, there's a CKAN.app bundle in there, and double clicking that is supposed to automatically launch the TUI that @Lisias discovered, if your system doesn't support WinForms. We have been looking at making some revisions to the release notes to hopefully make this clearer and easier to understand:

30 minutes ago, Lisias said:

And you will get:

kKdQCaA.png

No as smooth to use as a GUI, but it's better than the command line. :)

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

-- -- POST EDIT -- -- 

Oh, yes... I forgot to explain about the command line interface. :)

It will works on the zsh without porblems, you will find a full guide here.

On a MacOS, you will probably need to type something like:

mono /Applications/CKAN.app/Contents/MacOS/ckan.exe help

on your terminal to use it. Hint: use an alias. Edit your ~/.profile file and add to it:

alias ckan="mono /Application/CKAN.app/Contentes/MacOS/ckan.exe"

and you will be able to just

ckan help

to use it.

When using "ckan help [command]" for any command, I recieve an error message:

"Cannot open assembly '/Application/CKAN.app/Contentes/MacOS/ckan.exe': No such file or directory."

Since it says "Contentes", and not "Contents" (the actual name of the contents folder), I wonder if it's trying to use a folder named "Contentes", not finding it, and shutting down.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I don't know why MacOS is pestering you about zsh, but if you get the .dmg file, there's a CKAN.app bundle in there, and double clicking that is supposed to automatically launch the TUI that @Lisias discovered, if your system doesn't support WinForms. We have been looking at making some revisions to the release notes to hopefully make this clearer and easier to understand:

I cannot find a CKAN.app bundle anywhere within the .dmg file. However, I opened CKAN (the exec file) and it worked fine.

Regardless, CKAN is now armed and fully operational as shown in your image.

I consider this solved. Thanks for your collective help.

Edited by ArmoredLipid