CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

On 5/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, DasSkelett said:

Thanks, that sounds like a report we already got on Discord. It looks like a threading issue that only happens on some systems, and only when "Refresh on startup"/"Update repositories on launch" is enabled.

Can you try editing the file "<KSP>\CKAN\GUIConfig.xml" (where <KSP> is the path to your KSP installation) and change "<RefreshOnStartup>true</RefreshOnStartup>" to "<RefreshOnStartup>false</RefreshOnStartup>"?

From
  <RefreshOnStartup>true</RefreshOnStartup>
to
  <RefreshOnStartup>false</RefreshOnStartup>

Don't touch the "<RefreshOnStartupNoNag>" setting, just "<RefreshOnStartup>". If you have multiple KSP installations registered in CKAN, you might have to repeat this with the GUIConfig.xml of each KSP instance.
Yeah, another bug that needs a config file edited to work around, sorry for that.

thanks! I was experiencing the same issue and that change was the solution. 

19 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I don't know why MacOS is pestering you about zsh,

Because Apple is getting vicious on forcing their hand to induce us to upgrade.

On the CKAN executable script, you are specifying bash as the shell to be called to execute the script:

lM7lIK5.png

And on Catalina and forward, that binary is a frontend that prints this message before forwarding to the old BASH 3.0 Apple still provides. Expect BASH to be away soon, and this will be a major setback because ZSH is not compatible with BASH. Lots and lots of things will need to be rewritten.

You will need to choose to rewrite the startup script using ZSH and then perhaps lose everybody using MacOS before Catalina (as we are still using zsh 5.3 or older, and God knows what they are going to do on the newer versions of it - Apple is not known to be fond of their legacy), or to recommend everybody to install BASH via MacPorts or Brew (what a lot of us are already doing to have access to BASH 4 or 5 anyway), and then change the shebang line to  #!/usr/bin/env bash   .

17 hours ago, ArmoredLipid said:

"Cannot open assembly '/Application/CKAN.app/Contentes/MacOS/ckan.exe': No such file or directory."

Probably the Safari autocomplete had bitten me (I must had forgot to switch the language to EN_US, and Safari autocompleted Contents to Contentes - a valid word on PT-BR). Autocomplete can be dangerous sometimes... :P 

Yes, CKAN's GUI uses quite old technology (older than Visual Basic, I believe; the original Win32 GUI system, probably originally written and used in horrifying unreadable C, with a wrapper layer later available in .NET),

Not anymore. The original VB UI was a abstraction over the Windows GUI. It was implemented over it, not it. And Visual BASIC  born on the Windows 3.11 era (yep, Win16!!!), way older than you think. :D 

On Windows 95, the Forms were ported to use the Win32 GUI. Newer Forms, obviously, were ported to current Windows's GUI.

Besides being highly tied to the Windows way of life, it can be ported to foreign GUIs (as it was, indeed, ported). With variable degrees of success, as we can see.

The problem with the Mono port is that they didn't expended enough time debugging the thing to check small behaviour differences between the host GUI and the Windows one. Some things happen in different ordering, as an example. Not to mention the skill of the developers that did the thing - Windows Forms was implemented by Microsoft developers with years of experience on the Windows GUI subsystem, while on the Mono port we had people with a good knowledge on Linux, but not the same level of experience on Windows (and so, a lot of these nuances probably just weren't caught).  Some missing features were rewritten on C# and, so, have a performance hit compared to the original C coded ones. And so on.

We've been watching MAUI to see whether it will be able to provide the "compile once, run anywhere" capability to which we have become accustomed, and the conflicting messages from Microsoft about Linux support have stymied that somewhat.

Being the reason GTKSharp appears to be a safer bet IMHO.

It's way less convenient that these "modern" UI being launched everyday (as Avalonia), but it's assured to work correctly on every system that ever had the gtk libraries ported to it and this one is here to stay. Expect your grandsons to be using something build on GTK in the next decades.

Edited by Lisias
Of cuorse, tyops!

1 hour ago, DaBakonAder said:

BUT WHY?! WHY would you change the way the filter works?!

There were several enhancement requests that could not have been done with the old system.

Also discoverability; it was pretty common for people to have the Compatible filter open and have trouble finding mods. Now it's right in your face that you're only seeing the compatible mods when that filter is active.

Edited by HebaruSan

The CKAN client v1.30.4 "Hubble" is released!

Hubble

Changes since v1.30.2

After we launched the previous release, a serious defect was identified, so we've sent a servicing mission.

Features

• [ConsoleUI] Make current instance settings easier to find in ConsoleUI (#3385 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [GUI] Show game instance selection dialog if default is locked (#3382 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)

Bugfixes

• [GUI] Invoke GUI update calls in SetupDefaultSearch() descendants (#3380 by: DasSkelett; reviewed: HebaruSan)
    If you disabled the automatic repository refresh at startup, you can enable it again after updating. Check "Update repositories on launch" in the settings.

Notes

• CKAN releases are built in clean-room conditions and do not contain viruses. If your virus scanner reports a problem, it's a false positive. Please report it to the company that produces your virus scanner, not us, since it's their software that's not working properly.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono releases prior to 5.16.0. We highly recommend that Mac and Linux users upgrade to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com. You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

Release image under public domain (created by NASA), courtesy of Wikipedia

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.30.4

Edited by DasSkelett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I am unsure if this is the place to post, but I have restrictively licensed all my content, closed all sources and request that "Humanstuff" be removed not only from CKAN but any and all archives, backups and/or other sources (including physical media) on which you have made copies.

If I am required to draft an official email (or send other correspondence)  please provide me with this information when you are able.

Thank you

4 hours ago, Aazard said:

Hi,
I am unsure if this is the place to post, but I have restrictively licensed all my content, closed all sources and request that "Humanstuff" be removed not only from CKAN but any and all archives, backups and/or other sources (including physical media) on which you have made copies.

If I am required to draft an official email (or send other correspondence)  please provide me with this information when you are able.

Thank you

Okay, we will de-index and remove all HumanStuff releases from CKAN's metadata repositories, since we respect the wishes of the author.
However, it is not possible to retroactively relicense a software (version) as ARR that has  previously been released with an open source license (CC-BY-SA-4.0, in this case). We mirror all open source licensed / redistributable mods to archive.org, and those mirrored releases won't be deleted for this reason. Neither can we remove HumanStuff content from the PCs of CKAN users if they have it in their cache or installed in a KSP instance.
Also an FYI, by European copyright law personal copies are always allowed, even of ARR work.

In any case, wish you well for the future, wherever it carries you next.

Ok thank you, lets see how robust and hardened things are.

Make sure to have a pleasant day... I have little else to do tody

Edited by Guest

Hello,

I have had ckan for a few months without any problems and it was great. But then I got a new hard drive and moved all 3 of my ksp games(One for mostly stock on Steam, one heavily modded, and one mostly stock with "Restock"). I did my other 2 saves first and they didn't work through ckan. But my Steam one still did so I was trying to add the other ones doing the normal method, file-manage game instances-New Game Instance-Add Instance to Ckan,  and it was taking me to a different way than what I've seen on the videos. I would get to my other game and click on the files but all that it would let me do is just open them. Here is an image of what it looks like, its the second picture.

And then I did my moved my whole Steam and now it says that the game is corrupted when I open ckan. Its the first picture. I just am not sure why I can add new games to ckan.

8 minutes ago, QAM00 said:

I would get to my other game and click on the files but all that it would let me do is just open them.

You need to select the buildID.txt or buildID64.txt file, see the user guide.

9 minutes ago, QAM00 said:

And then I did my moved my whole Steam and now it says that the game is corrupted when I open ckan.

Is the path we can see in the picture already the new path, or the old one? If it's the old one, remove this instance and add a new one with the updated path (again, see the link above on how to do that).

4 minutes ago, DasSkelett said:

You need to select the buildID.txt or buildID64.txt file, see the user guide.

Is the path we can see in the picture already the new path, or the old one? If it's the old one, remove this instance and add a new one with the updated path (again, see the link above on how to do that).

Didn't know that, and it worked! Yes it was the old one, I pressed the forget button and added it back. Thank You! 

43 minutes ago, Davros_ADL_2 said:

Waterfall Stock and Waterfall ReStock are conflicting, is there any known way to force an installation with CKAN despite confliction?

No, you can't overwrite that, they conflict for a reason. If you have ReStock(+) installed, you need Waterfall ReStock, otherwise Stock. Waterfall ReStock includes configs for the stock engines.

Why do you want to install them both together?

On 6/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, Davros_ADL_2 said:

Watefall ReStock isn't providing effects for non-revamped engines.

I asked about this in the ReStock thread and here is how, you first need to install the stock waterfall configs normally without ckan and do this, "Pop into the Stock Waterfall Effects engine configs, and delete the !ReStock in the line: NEEDS:[Waterfall,!ReStock] for the non-restocked engines you want to have waterfall for." I still don't get how it works but I think it has to do with how the mods talk to each other and see where they need to be compatible.  Hopefully this helps!

2 hours ago, QAM00 said:

I asked about this in the ReStock thread and here is how, you first need to install the stock waterfall configs normally without ckan and do this, "Pop into the Stock Waterfall Effects engine configs, and delete the !ReStock in the line: NEEDS:[Waterfall,!ReStock] for the non-restocked engines you want to have waterfall for." I still don't get how it works but I think it has to do with how the mods talk to each other and see where they need to be compatible.  Hopefully this helps!

Actually with the latest releases of SWE and WaterfallRestock, SWE adds effects to the non-affected engines from restock. 

On 6/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, DasSkelett said:

No, you can't overwrite that, they conflict for a reason. If you have ReStock(+) installed, you need Waterfall ReStock, otherwise Stock. Waterfall ReStock includes configs for the stock engines.

Seems that’s changed recently. 
https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/releases/tag/0.2.2

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

Announcement for mod authors who maintain some of their own metadata:

After some recent infrastructure updates, you can now opt to use YAML format instead of JSON for the human-edited instances of CKAN metadata (netkans, metanetkans, and internal ckans). The intent is to make metadata editing more pleasant and reduce the incidence of syntax errors, since there will be less need to worry about things like quotes, commas, brackets, and braces (though you will still have to understand the array/object structure of what you're editing).

Example in JSON format (before):

{
   "spec_version": "v1.4",
   "identifier": "Cosmogator",
   "$kref": "#/ckan/github/HebaruSan/Astrogator",
   "license": "GPL-3.0",
   "tags": [
      "plugin",
      "information",
      "control"
   ],
   "install": [
      {
         "find": "Astrogator",
         "install_to": "GameData"
      }
   ]
}

Equivalent example in YAML format (after):

spec_version: v1.4
identifier: Cosmogator
$kref: "#/ckan/github/HebaruSan/Astrogator"
license: GPL-3.0
tags:
  - plugin
  - information
  - control
install:
  - find: Astrogator
    install_to: GameData

(Note that the "#" character starts a comment in YAML, so we have to put it in quotes to include it in the $kref value.)

YAML purports to be a JSON superset (tab characters notwithstanding), so all of the old JSON-format files will continue to work as-is with no changes (and they'll still work even if you do make changes). Newly created netkans from SpaceDock will be starting out on YAML as of a few days ago, but there are currently no plans to mass-convert all the old netkans (though this could be done in theory). If you'd like to convert your own files to YAML, there are many good converters on the internet, but I've had decent results with https://www.json2yaml.com/.

Note that this does not apply to the .ckan files in the CKAN-meta repository, which are still required to be JSON-only (because they're supposed to be machine-generated, and because the currently live CKAN client application has not been updated to parse YAML). The bot translates from YAML to JSON when it inflates modules. If you need to do a pull request in the CKAN-meta repo, you'll still have to do things "the old way".

We hope this change will provide relief for some of your metadata editing headaches!

1 hour ago, Phoenix RL said:

After installing CKAN.dmg (Mono installed), CKAN installed and ran OK. When I pressed Ctrl+D on a mod to install, it said installed mods but nothing appeared in the GameData Folder. Anyone have a fix?

Hi, thanks for asking. (Note for posterity, this was asked simultaneously in Discord and resolved for this user there, so further discussion is for others who might benefit.)

I just checked this, and no, CKAN does not say "installed mods" when you do this, because it's not installing them, it's just downloading the mod to the cache to be installed later. The "+" and "F9" hot keys in the main mod list are how to install.

We're debating updating the screen tip for this hotkey from "Download" to either "Download to cache" or "Download without installing", to try to make it more apparent what it's for. Do folks find one or the other of those more clear? Any other suggestions?

16 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, thanks for asking. (Note for posterity, this was asked simultaneously in Discord and resolved for this user there, so further discussion is for others who might benefit.)

I just checked this, and no, CKAN does not say "installed mods" when you do this, because it's not installing them, it's just downloading the mod to the cache to be installed later. The "+" and "F9" hot keys in the main mod list are how to install.

We're debating updating the screen tip for this hotkey from "Download" to either "Download to cache" or "Download without installing", to try to make it more apparent what it's for. Do folks find one or the other of those more clear? Any other suggestions?

Hi there, my issue is now solved thanks to this. I suggest you change it to 'Download to cache ('Does not install mod'), it would be better for some people new to modding and CKAN, like me.