What is something you have always wanted to do in KSP but have as of yet to do?

AlamoVampire

As the title says, what is something you have always wanted to do in KSP but have not yet done? For me? That is land a crew on Eve and return them back to Kerbin. I have been playing KSP since a day or two after KSP 0.21 was released onto Steam and have only landed one or two probes onto Eve. I want to land a crew there but for what ever reason, I just have not done so. I tried recently and met with confusing failure. Had a lander that was built with 4x symmetry and an inflatable heatshield that was able to fully cover the lander. Got into the atmosphere and for a while it all went well, then suddenly and quite inexplicably the craft decided that it wanted to point the command module into the onrushing atmosphere to rather predictable results. After multiple reloads of my quick save I gave up. One day me and that purple marble will have a picnic with Jeb and Bill and Bob on the surface. One day :) SO, how about you?

Making a very large base. Still have yet to do it. I either lose my patience or the Kraken wants to ruin my day.

Hopefully my upcoming Eeloo base changes that.

EDIT DID IT:

Edited by Guest

Everything Eeloo or Dres related;

I play mostly sandbox mode, and there's very little interest for these two, both are pretty "meh" - Most of my time is spent flying Kerbals to the Jool system and back, maybe a visit to Moho for funsies, or (still) attempting an to build a working stock SSTO from Eve's sea level.

Edited by Xyphos

I want to “finish” a career game by getting flags on every possible planet and moon; any form of the stock system- normal, with extras e.g. OPM or rescaled with JNSQ- I’ve started all of them but never come close to “finishing”.

My first career in 1.7.3 with OPM hasn’t gone beyond Duna with a Kerbal and the 1000 part contraptions I made to fly out to the outer planets took an entire day per transfer burn (2+ hour transfers at 1/4 speed due to the part count, ouch...); my JNSQ career started in 1.8.1 but I managed to bump it up to 1.9.1 and have a crewed mission currently parked in Tylo orbit after landing a nuclear spaceplane there (yes, JNSQ Tylo has an atmosphere- but no oxygen), although once again the part count is really high and the game is going really slowly; and my current Kerbalism game with just the stock planets hasn’t sent a Kerbal out of Kerbin’s SOI yet.

I have some designs for what should be an Eve SSTO, a variant of which I used for Tylo in the JNSQ career and which might even make it possible to fly to Nara’s surface (45 atmospheres of pressure :0.0:), but then I’ll probably do what I did before and get distracted by shiny new things and end up playing a career with a Beyond Home instead :rolleyes:.

Boundless is the project i've always wnated to do, but never will

Boundless would be a mothership capable of fulfilling every possible contract without ever launching anything else. it would have nuclear rockets with at least 5 km/s of deltaV when full, enough crew space for dozens, and several attached service ship. among them, mining ships to refuel from small moons, rovers, spaceplanes, enough that for every place, some of those ships would have ssto capacity. this ship would literally do anything

indeed, by now many of my regular ships could serve as service ship for it. i only miss the eve ssto, on which i have been working for weeks; i have a project for a propeller plane that can fly electrically past the worst of the atmosphere and then use rockets, and i reached the point where it can work if i can improve the aerodinamics. i say that because i've seen a youtube video of a similar working concept; my plane can reach the same altitude before needing the rockets (well, actually i am a couple km shy) and it has the same amount of deltaV, but it misses orbit by about 1 km/s. i suspended work on it because it was very stressful, having no idea if any parts were different. that spaceplane then has a small helicopter inside a cargo bay, so it would reach everywhere on the planet.

once i go back to work on the eve ssto, and if i manage to make it work (even just enough to go suborbital for long enough that i can pick it up with another ship), then making Boundless would not be hard. i'd just have to take a bunch of fuel tanks and labs and some embellishment and attach to it all the ships and rovers i already have as service ships.

the reason i will never make Boundless is that once i do that, the resulting monstruosity would be well over 1000 parts, and it would get eaten by the kraken for sure

I was never able to just log into the game after an update and have the basic stuff like atmosphere (clouds, scatterer), planet shine, X-Science, Chatterer and other things that should be in the game  by default but the devs never care for adding into the resources of the game. [Snip]

On 9/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, king of nowhere said:

the reason i will never make Boundless is that once i do that, the resulting monstruosity would be well over 1000 parts, and it would get eaten by the kraken for sure

You don't need to make a monstrosity to do that. I managed to complete a Grand Tour of all the planets with mainly 3 ships.

I did it first with this:

There is a newer version available that is somewhat easier to control but harder to master.

I has nowhere near 1000 parts.

For Eve just use the ship above to stay in orbit and then use this to land and return to orbit.

https://kerbalx.com/mystik/Dart-V31-Eve-Lander-with-Rover-and-return-Pod-to-Eve-orbit

Yes, the Dart is a bit of a silly ship, but that's only because I never bothered to make something lighter, like I did with the Arrow. I can make something better if there is a demand for it. It works, it's a bit buggy but it gets the job done. It doesn't offer too much flexibility to explore around the planet and the rover on top is terribly underpowered for mountain terrain. I suggest to use a propeller plane with tilt rotors and electrical engines to explore EVE. I might integrate something into Dart that would meet the criteria since Eve works great with propellers.

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

11 hours ago, mystik said:

I was never able to just log into the game after an update and have the basic stuff like atmosphere (clouds, scatterer), planet shine, X-Science, Chatterer and other things that should be in the game  by default but the devs never care for adding into the resources of the game. [Snip]

You don't need to make a monstrosity to do that. I managed to complete a Grand Tour of all the planets with mainly 3 ships.

I did it first with this:

There is a newer version available that is somewhat easier to control but harder to master.

I has nowhere near 1000 parts.

For Eve just use the ship above to stay in orbit and then use this to land and return to orbit.

https://kerbalx.com/mystik/Dart-V31-Eve-Lander-with-Rover-and-return-Pod-to-Eve-orbit

Yes, the Dart is a bit of a silly ship, but that's only because I never bothered to make something lighter, like I did with the Arrow. I can make something better if there is a demand for it. It works, it's a bit buggy but it gets the job done. It doesn't offer too much flexibility to explore around the planet and the rover on top is terribly underpowered for mountain terrain. I suggest to use a propeller plane with tilt rotors and electrical engines to explore EVE. I might integrate something into Dart that would meet the criteria since Eve works great with propellers.

it's.... absolutely NOT the same thing.

I also have crafts that can go anywhere

this ship can go everywhere except laythe and eve, perform science, and it has excellent mining capacity. i also made a bigger, 400-ton version to refuel the really big stuff.

This rover can reach almost everywhere too, and i built a module with extra fuel to reach moho (it didn't have enough deltaV for landing otherwise), and another module with extra rockets to land on tylo. and it is fun to drive

tU2804y.jpg

and this spaceplane can almost takeoff from eve and reach orbit. i must still improve aerodinamics a bit. anyway, i already can ssto on kerbin or laythe (including doing it from water) and it drops a smaller helicopter to move around. if i attached a couple disposable boosters to it, it would orbit from eve. so, i also have 3 ships that can do the grand tour.

yet, none of that is my boundless dream.

boundless would have a cargo bay containing all of those vehicles, though. indeed, boundless would be a huge fuel tank, some nerv rockets, and some amenities, and docking ports for those vessels. but take 3 relatively complex vessels, dock them together, and it's already kraken food.

Ever since I first installed the game in 2014, I've wanted to do a Duna mission in science or career mode. I always restarted before doing it, but this install seems to be keeping my attention a lot longer. I've already done a landing on Asclepius (a modded planet between Kerbin and Duna's orbits), and flybys of Eve and Duna. All I have left to do is refuel the interplanetary vessel and attach a lander, but that will still be a week or two of work.

QCcPX2k.png

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:38 PM, Superfluous J said:

The closest I have to that is a Grand Tour. I've started a few of them but never got around to finishing it. Mostly because Eve :D

But really I'm at peace with never doing one.

Same for me.  My last attempt was made insanely harder by having Kraken attacks each time I wanted to Dock/Undock to my mothership.
For Eve, I was thinking sending a ship specifically for the return trip, like the return crafts from "The Martian" but an eve edition of them with proper hardware.
But like I said, after Moho I couldn't make my mothership anymore and after spending weeks on it I kinda ragequit lol.

Maybe I shall remake an attempt during my 2021 winter vacations... we'll see.
of course amy definition of a grand tour includes the OPM mod if it works on the version KSP is in when I try the attempt.

Edited by Francois424

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.