Persistent Debris

Hello,

I seem to recall there's a way to set a limit to the amount of debris that persists and is tracked (?).  If so, would someone remind me exactly how to set this?  I have some junk lying around a Mun surface base that I want to disappear.  The junk doesn't have a probe core or any command module and to me should disappear on its own but isn't.

Moved to Gameplay Questions.

There's a setting in your game's settings, IIRC it's from the settings option at the main menu.  It has a slider for max debris.  It goes from 0 to 10,000, and default is 250.

Also you can remove debris from the tracking station.  If it's not showing up on the list when you're in the tracking station, go up to the top of the screen and make sure that the debris button is toggled on, it's the leftmost one.

Try the ‘max persistent debris’ setting in (I think) the main settings page: main menu > settings. You could also either delete them from the tracking station, or turn off the display in map or tracking station view so that debris isn’t shown.

And @Geonovast just ninja’d me to the answer :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Hello,

I seem to recall there's a way to set a limit to the amount of debris that persists and is tracked (?).  If so, would someone remind me exactly how to set this?  I have some junk lying around a Mun surface base that I want to disappear.  The junk doesn't have a probe core or any command module and to me should disappear on its own but isn't.

In order to get rid of debris that cant come back and be destroyed there are two options. One you can send an ssto that has a grapping hooked and dock to the debris and put it on a collision course (debris). Or you can go to the traking station and select the debris. Then there will be an option to terminate it. Press that and it will magically disappear. 

There i a problem with having too much debris when flying and you have all the debris locations showing it can make the map screen lag. If enough things are in space it could crash the game. I advise you to terminate all debris that isn't important to avoid KSP crashing, game files being corrupted or deleted, or all files deleted, or computer trouble. You never know so be careful but make sure to have fun.

Spoiler

KSP simulates the orbits on the tracking station and map screen (if you want them to show) which may struggle the game.

Please do not take this answer as a offense or any other mean comment. I just wrote this to help. But this may be more than enough. Sorry.

:wink:

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
More helpful info.

51 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

The option to terminate all debris is often requested. While we don't have it in stock there are alternatives provided by mods.'

If you set the Max Persistent Debris to 0 in game options and load your save all the debris will be deleted.

Then you can go back in Main menu and set it to the number you want.

4 hours ago, Boyster said:

If you set the Max Persistent Debris to 0 in game options and load your save all the debris will be deleted.

Then you can go back in Main menu and set it to the number you want.

I still believe the option to do it all with just one click would be more convenient :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.