Problem with thrust

Hi everybody, I've been on KSP for a week and I started my first missions. Everything was fine until orbiting Mun and back to Kerbin, but when I attempted my first Mun landing an annoying issue rose up: I turned on the engine full throttle to leave the orbit and start the descent, but when close to landing I hit the LeftShift key to slow down, the thrust went to the top (with a "beep"); the opposite hitting the LeftCtrl key to reduce the throttle. Practically, I wasn't able to make any fine regulation of the thrust, only maximum or zero. I could land anyway, but then I had the same problem with the Jetpack commands during the EVA. I suspect it's a problem with the keyboard setting, but it's strange that it happens only by Mun's surface. Any idea? 

This is not tripulated, right? When probes lose signal, they can only perform a handful of actions, such as max thrust/no thrust, but no inbetween. To solve this you can:

-Add a kerbal pilot to the ecuation, or

-Have a couple more of relay satellites around Mun to guarantee that signal isn't lost.

Windows has some sort of sticky key functionality for certain keys, including the shift key, which auto-triggers when such a key is pressed five times in rapid succession. The purpose is being a usability aid for people with disabilities.

• Go to Settings -> Ease of Access Center -> Keyboard
  • Turn off the second, third, and fourth option there, both the slider and the checkbox

Disclaimer: my OS is German, but things should hopefully be in the same place in your locale. You'll likely be able to tell what's what either way :)

Note that Kerbal EVA jetpacks do not operate by a throttle. They only fire via key presses. So it's not a given that what you described there is actually a problem, unless the behavior was markedly different from previous EVA experiences you had.

As for what @Fierce Wolf meant: if you have a spacecraft without a Kerbal in a command pod, seat, or cockpit of some description (a passenger compartment doesn't count!), then it cannot be controlled unless you also have a probe core. And that probe core, in turn, needs an unbroken commnet connection back to Kerbin to give you full control authority. Depending on difficulty settings, without a connection you might only have limited control, or you might have none at all.

Edited by Streetwind

Sticky keys.

You pressed shift five times too quickly and sticky keys turned on- probably with a bleep from your PC. You describe bleeps when pressing shift and possible control too which happens with sticky keys. It usually requires you to click yes on a pop-up but that might not happen depending on your PC settings.

Pressing the shift key five times again should turn it off, or go into the settings as @Streetwind has said and turn it off completely. It’s a real nuisance on EVAs as you have to keep pressing shift to fly above the Mun with an EVA pack, and sticky keys is intended as an accessibility feature so if you don’t need it for that, switch it off completely.

I'm running Win 7 and I think my settings must be different because I couldn't find what you said. Anyway that must be the problem. I could solve it at the moment just changing the commands for accelerate/ decelerate with the keys "\" and "1" and everything seems working fine now. Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.