[1.8.x - 1.11.x] Smart Docking Aid - New SAS functionality (v1.1.0) [14th November]

ValiZockt

On 9/30/2020 at 5:14 AM, ValiZockt said:

That's hilarious, love it!

Thanks, sadly it doesn't have a navball icon. I didn't wanted to completely copy DPAI, not sure on how either mic_e or @linuxgurugamer would feel about that, tho it would be very cool. Im definitely see what's possible in this regard. 

On 9/30/2020 at 5:19 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

As long as you stay within the license, I don't have a problem.  Go for it.

Why not combine the two into one, and take it off LinuxGuruGamer's hands?  They have both become a new must have addition.

Also, looking at this, there could be an argument for keeping this at level 3 and moving the current level three option of SAS following manoeuvre node following to level 4?  Give another reason to send a Kerbal to Duna or Eve!

Peace.

24 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Also, looking at this, there could be an argument for keeping this at level 3 and moving the current level three option of SAS following manoeuvre node following to level 4?  Give another reason to send a Kerbal to Duna or Eve!

I don’t think this is really possible currently, sorry. If I understand right you want to keep those new SAS modes at level 3 and move the existent hold maneuver node to level 4? In Stock  level 3 also unlocks the target markers, which are currently needed for SDA.

What is possible however is to change the minPilotExperience in the config, so you unlock those two new modes later instead. (So other way around as you suggested if I understand right)

Edited by ValiZockt

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Of course.  But adding code to support the options will increase the impact on the cou usage.  It may be small, but it all adds up

Isn't that already the case if you use both mods in parallel? And wouldn't merging both mods even improve the performance compared to using both mods separately? This may sound precocious, but it is not meant that way. I just want to understand it.

Maximum praise for an amazing mod. I navigated to the general direction facing the target docking port, activated the new SAS mode, and then did a small RCS burn towards the target (H key). I centered the yellow direction of travel indicator within the red target indicator. As I closed on the target, the indicator would drift, but using small RCS corrections (J/L and I/K keys) I kept the direction indicator centered. When I got close, I slowed it down to .1 m/s. The docking was so smooth I did not realize it had happened - no wagging about. THANKS!!

On 10/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, sibaar said:

Is there a way to get this to work on 1.7?

I haven’t tested nor do I know if it already maybe works on 1.7.x, but if not a recompile against the 1.7.x binaries could do it. 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, sibaar said:

Also. How come the icons don't appear on the navball?

There are no icons on the navball. I still encourage people to install DPAI CE. 

• 4 weeks later...

New Release: v1.1.0 

* Obey "All SAS Modes on all probes" in difficulty settings
* Replace stock SAS module readout
* Unset SDA mode on SAS disable
* Change MM pass to LAST

Until now SDA had a own readout , but I've found a way to include those readouts into the already existent stock SAS module. See below:

MPYXTae.png

As usual, available on SpaceDock, Github & CKAN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

@ValiZockt Great mod! I have a problem though. It does work for ships with RGU probe cores but it's not working for one of my piloted ships. It's a shuttle with a MK3 cockpit containing a L3 pilot and a L2 pilot (and other non-pilots). Also there's a MK3 cabin with L2 and L0 pilots (and other crew). All of the stock SAS modes do show on the navball: maneuver hold, prograde/ retrograde to target, etc. but the 2 docking modes do not show. I didn't change the config file. 

Spoiler

SDASETTINGS
{
  minPilotExperience = 3 // Sets the level of a pilot that has to be onboard (if no ModuleDockingAid is avaible) (MIN: 3, MAX:5)
}

I don't see anything interesting in the log.  KSP log The ship is "Alpha Shuttle". 

I'm also seeing a problem on several different ships where SAS is left on when I switch ships and switch back to the original ship: SAS "stability assist" indicator is lit on the navball but SAS is clearly not active. I can deactivate/ reactivate SAS and then it works. It also does this on EVA: set SAS on, EVA and reboard, SAS indicator is on but it's not active.

I do have many other mods installed. I'll try to do some more testing and report back.

Update: With the same mods, I tested several command pods on the launch pad in Career with a 3-star pilot and none of them worked. Tested in Sandbox with 5-star pilot and it DID work.

Update 2: I fixed one issue... In SmartDockingAid.cfg you need to change minPilotExperience = 2. Then it is available for 3-star pilots and not for 2-star. I'm still having the issue above in blue.

Edited by Krazy1
update 2; blue update

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jrolson said:

I'll try it again....

I targeted a docking port and the SAS modes didn't show up. Might of been just a problem on my end...

As far as I know, the modes should be visible all the time, if your pilot/core has the correct level. So probably worthwhile to check if that is the case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.