What will happen to KSP1 when KSP 2 is released?

3 hours ago, Maj Solo said:

People might not like ksp 2 .....  the devs might F it up.

Let's be honest, what they have shown so far is some of the greatest game footage I have ever seen. I think there is little to no chance that it will.

18 hours ago, miguelsgamingch said:
19 hours ago, Entropian said:

It will continue to be developed.

Correct! SQUAD Will still develop the original KSP 1.

A disappointment for the 15,000th person asking this question, presumably hoping for something different than the other 14,999 responses.

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Let's be honest, what they have shown so far is some of the greatest game footage I have ever seen. I think there is little to no chance that it will.

I'm not so sure. Just because the dev footage looks good doesn't mean the game will. It could be riddled with bugs, or have in game purchases/an excessive amount of dlc. T2 could also mess up when it comes to mods such as not letting modders license their mods how they like, or making it so they can claim mods for themselves. Either way it would cause a massive community split and may cause many to stay on ksp1 (imagine the Minecraft 1.9 update but worse.)

30 minutes ago, catloaf said:

I'm not so sure. Just because the dev footage looks good doesn't mean the game will. It could be riddled with bugs, or have in game purchases/an excessive amount of dlc. T2 could also mess up when it comes to mods such as not letting modders license their mods how they like, or making it so they can claim mods for themselves. Either way it would cause a massive community split and may cause many to stay on ksp1 (imagine the Minecraft 1.9 update but worse.)

I won't try to get too much off topic but:

-In game purchases won't happen they comfirmed that.

-sure it could but the developers said they are trying to stay to the culture of KSP 1

-could. It's a good idea that both games are updated.

9 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

KSP and KSP2 are totally separate games, being developed by different studios. The original game will continue to be developed independently of KSP2 and I suspect for some time after the sequel is launched (pun intended :wink:).

They're owned by the same publisher who has little reason to fund two teams to sell one title.

However, in the original timeline we'd supposed to be playing KSP2 for a couple of months now and that didn't happen. It'd be foolish for Take2 to kill off KSP1 when there's no proof (ie sales figures) that KSP2 is a success — not just commercial but also as a game (contrary to popular belief the "bean counters" will not just look at how the game sells in the first four weeks but also how it's received, because that's where the long-term income will come from).

So, until it's clear that KSP2 is a viable successor, KSP1 will likely continue to be developed and will probably see at least one update and/or DLC release (because that was under development) after the intro of KSP2 before it's being sunset.