KSP Weather Mod

Galaxy5121

On 9/28/2020 at 11:19 PM, Galaxy5121 said:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mod that adds weather to KSP. I am not talking about simple clouds from EVE, but more functional, essentially a continuation of Kerbal Weather Systems.

If anyone knows of an up to date mod, please notify me.

In the process of creating this :D.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, Stone Blue said:

Actually, IIRC, there *was* a testable mod that attempted this...back around KSP version, oh, 0.25, 0.90, or 1.0.x... It did end up hitting a wall in development, tho, IIRC

Ah!... here it is:

It's also ARR. 

I took the question as pertaining to the current version of KSP, I've known about this particular mod for a while. I think there was one other, but it's visual only.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, CaveJohnson376 said:

there is now one! it's very new, and i haven't tested it yet, but you can try it out

Hmm, looks like it's "Just wind" atm.

MPAS is damn impressive though, and the license is MIT....

That actually simplifies making any sort of convection/rain significantly, because even getting wind in KSP to work requires other mods. 

But MPAS seems like massive overkill for this purpose, then again i wouldn't be surprised if this was the dude's PHD thesis project or something. Mad Respect all around.

Holy ******

From that thread

"...At present KWP reads binary files containing multi-dimensional arrays of climate and weather data. These binary files are created from NetCDF files. In the future, I plan on producing a GitHub repository containing python jupyter-notebooks demonstrating how to read and analyze Kerbin weather and climate data. Other creators could then use Python or their preferred language to create 3-D weather datasets in NetCDF format which could be written to binary files readable by KWP.  "

There's actual GIS data being fed into this thing....

And i had difficulty getting my Final Project this year to read the bzip2 format the NWS uses for their NEXRAD data, and spooling it into an image (Which turned out to be just diagonal lines of RGB snow in the end sadly)...

Alright, I'm even more impressed now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.