New idea about other Solar Systems

4 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

This is a very good point, I don't belive I considered how long the interstellar travel would take, not just in game but real time too. Maybe you are right and they only add two or three solar systems, by the time people have explored all of those, they could have updated the game and added a new system.

I also never considered this. I have been using Minecraft as the example here, but Minecraft is tiny compared to KSP2, which has whole star systems. I really do hope the devs spice up the planets a bit though. KSP1 had very little in the way of planet features, besides the Mun and Dres canyons and the Tylo cave. I really think they should add more interesting terrain. If the trailer reflects gameplay at all, we might have icebergs in some of the oceans!

Funniest part is that I'm not even talking about a star system, the volume of one planet in KSP is enormous compared to something like Minecraft. There's a very, very good reason KSP represents planets as essentially textured shells over a point singularity, despite all of the bugs and limitations that introduces. And it's 1/10th scale!

And Icebergs are a pretty good example of something you could add procedurally while still remaining in the limits of the current system; you just have to define areas for them to be and use the scatter system to spawn them (Or something similar; KSP2 might have a far better way of doing this especially for bespoke objects you'd want in a single biome).

On 9/30/2020 at 6:34 PM, Kerminator1000 said:

I immediately realized how awesome KSP2 would be if the exoplanets were procedurally generated! You could fly around to the new system, name all the planets with cool names that you came up with (this is the planet of MOAR BOOSTERS in the Jebolar system), and you would be the only person with those planets. This would also take a huge load off the developers as they could just set this up and let people play. They could put in special features like canyons and caves, and let the game engine do the rest. This would encourage you to do interstellar travel, as no one has ever set foot on that planet. With the stock planets, lots of people have landed on Eeloo, and you can just look up a picture of what it looks like. But you would be discovering new landscapes! Many modern video games do this. Minecraft is the obvious one, World of Warcraft, No Man Sky, 

I don't think that we will have quintillions of planets, I was thinking, maybe 5-10 systems, each with varying numbers of planets.

1 minute ago, Mikenike said:

Yeah, but you mentioned 100^10^10 planets.

When? I don't remember saying that.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the wikipedia quote. Yeah that was for No Man Sky, and is what gave me the idea for this thread.

Edited by Kerminator1000