What Was Your First Ever Flight In KSP?

Miguelsgamingch

i will go second since I remember that first flight....

So I started a save, got into the VAB to build a plane, yes, a plane in the VAB beacuse I didn't knew that the SPH existed, so when I got the MK3 cockpit, I was like "hey, thats vertical, let me rotate it" so I grabbed the rotate tool and make it horizontal, and when I finished building I hit "Launch" and for my surprise that was not the Runway, and when I got into the runway, I pressed stage aaaaannndddd, nothing.

I was like, "how do I throttle up"

Needed to play tutorials.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, miguelsgamingch said:

As It Says In The Title

I Will Go First

Um, I Used A KerbalX Rocket, Anddddddd didn't know the controls at first and crashed it

It was just in 1.7.3

I took a sandbox game and I built this 2.5m ship that required 4 of the big SRBs, and I launched it. For whatever reason, I actually succeded in making it into space. I didn't know how to get into orbit, so I went straight up. The capsule was almost hit by the SRBs because I couldn't separate them, forgot decouplers, almost died again because of lack of heat shield, So I threw the capsule into a roll, yay, mistake no. 3. I landed in the mountain range not far from KSC.

Some time during 1.5 

Edited by Mikenike

It was back in the old demo. 
As other yes it was mostly upward and design was not able to reach orbit anyway. 
Was able reach orbit after a couple of tries. 
Bought the game the same day, so early I was just inside the free dlc deal :) 

It was waaay back in the old demo, something like 0.17 or 0.18. I remember it only had Kerbin and the Mun in.

I don't remember what the very first one looked like, except that it didn't have sufficient thrust to leave the pad...

This was back when the aero model was very soupy, and I just brute forced moar boosters until it made orbit. It was an extremely ugly rocket! And then even more still to get it to the Mun. I still remember that landing, even though it was something like seven years ago.

I've played all sorts of games since then, but always come back to KSP :)

I started in 1.5 or 1.6 with the tutorials so my first flight was probably the one where you launch a Mk1 capsule with a flea SRB and parachute on an atmospheric flight.

My first self-designed craft was this massive thing with a Mk1 capsule and then a stage of each size (1.25 - 5 m) plus SRBs I called the Behemoth. I didn't know anything about struts (auto or otherwise) so the whole thing flew like a wet noodle and the SRBs pointed in four different directions. It had a crazy amount of dV though and when I launched it straight up it left Kerbin's SOI and ended up in a highly elliptical orbit around the sun. Once I ran out of fuel, I sent Jeb out on EVA, but I couldn't figure out how to use the EVA pack. I totally forgot about him until about 20 game years later when I noticed him drifting by himself in the tracking station. I think I just used ALT-F12 to bring him home rather than attempting a multi-decade rescue project.

I watched a ton of Scott Manley and other youtubers before actually getting my hands on the game demo, so I knew what I was doing, and I would like to think my first flight actually got into orbit. It was a bog standard 3 stage rocket, with Swivels on the lower stages, the 2nd stage being a bit smaller than the first, and a Terrier, a lone fuel tank, and the pod on the orbiter. 

Of course, I didn't really understand the science behind the whole thing, so my attempts to go to the Moon or something with 3 of the fuel tank + terrier combo with no modifications to the lower stages didn't end well. 

I pirated 0.8.1 back when I was 9 and had seen someone making planes in Herbal Space Program. I launched a SRB straight up and then forgot I was supposed to press escape to go the the menu so I had to restart the entire game again and redo the tutorial to find out.

Bought 0.19 a year later, and even then I abused part clipping so much ;-; quad stacking quad adapters.

Now that I'm looking at videos of 0.14, god the navball's not changed at all since 2012, huh?

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

I have *no* idea what the very first one was. Likely something dumb like 4 SRBs (the closest thing today woudl be the Hammer, but back then IIRC they were all we had in the entire category) radially attached to some fuel tanks with an engine (these days it'd be a Reliant or a Swivel. No clue if it had gimballing back then) with a Mk1 pod on top.

And I'm guessing that I was that "advanced" because I had watched a couple YouTube videos before trying the demo.

9 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Herbal Space Program

Someone brought the illegel in some states, unless its worse plants in here.

7 hours ago, 0something0 said:

More evidence that Kerbals are plants?

Glad to see I'm not the only one quoting him

Edited by Mikenike

On 10/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, 0something0 said:

More evidence that Kerbals are plants?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:51 AM, Mikenike said:

Someone brought the illegel in some states, unless its worse plants in here.

Glad to see I'm not the only one quoting him

I've always therorized that kerbals feed themselves of of Kerblent Green dispersed in the cloud of dust they become when they die, wich permeates every area of the known universe.

Seriously though, imagine how suprised I was when I found out the name was Kerbal. That couldn't be a real word, my younger self could not believe that grown-ups would mess up like 

Picture of a navball from 0.10:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18TeqU7RFr0JBU2gm5QhFa4Jx5KoCf1Mj/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.