Allow propellers to be used in timewarp

coyotesfrontier

In stock KSP, as physics warp works by speeding everything up, propellers go crazy as they are already spinning at the unity rotation limit. Making a plugin that would fix this would require the propeller parts to have special exceptions during warp, which would be very tricky to implement. I'm sure it can be done though, is any modder willing to take up the challenge? An easy way might be to give the propellers a mode to create force while stationary, simulating their action when rotating, while allowing use in warp.

2 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

In stock KSP, as physics warp works by speeding everything up, propellers go crazy as they are already spinning at the unity rotation limit. Making a plugin that would fix this would require the propeller parts to have special exceptions during warp, which would be very tricky to implement. I'm sure it can be done though, is any modder willing to take up the challenge? An easy way might be to give the propellers a mode to create force while stationary, simulating their action when rotating, while allowing use in warp.

I feel like the better way would just be grabbing the last known thrust value on warp, and applying it as a thrust vector in the same direction until either the needed resources to power the rotors (EC) are expended, no Atmosphere is present or warp is stopped.

Otherwise you might have issues with propellers producing thrust when not powered/not rotating if you just checked to see if they were "Stationary" or not. Mind you; this could all be hersey because i have no bloody idea how i would even attempt to mod this into KSP (I use FAR, so Props don't even work for me D:).

1 hour ago, Cattette said:

Never ask someone else to do something you yourself can do https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/introduction-to-c-programming-concepts-and-applications

I'd honestly mess around with the OP's mod idea if i wasn't doing Java sh!t right now....they're basically the same language(Actually i like C# a tiny bit better because i can write straight procedural code, unlike java). The only thing i don't understand is the KSP specific API calls I'd need for grabbing the needed info. But that wouldn't be too hard to find out.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I'd honestly mess around with the OP's mod idea if i wasn't doing Java sh!t right now....they're basically the same language(Actually i like C# a tiny bit better because i can write straight procedural code, unlike java). The only thing i don't understand is the KSP specific API calls I'd need for grabbing the needed info. But that wouldn't be too hard to find out.

if you have question about api you should ask since it's not document that well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.