Issues with Eve Rover

I have landed a probe on Eve. I was working on an Eve ascent vehicle when my save got corrupted and won't load anymore. During the design I had to tackle one problem at a time. 

My first design had an inflatable heat shield at the bottom and one at the top (like an umbrella). The heat shields kept smashing into the craft when jettisoning them. So I ditched the idea of the top one and planned the top to act like fins on a dart. Airbrakes, parachutes. This time I was flipping at about 38km altitude and burnt up the craft. I needed stabilising and lowering the centre of mass closer to the heat shield. I also added elevons at the top and Vernor rcs engines. Those are mighty powerful little things compared to the rcs block. It was smooth sailing down. 

I knew my craft could land so started testing the ascent. So as a side project I had been working on it for a few weeks while doing my normal career missions. That's about when I lost my save file. 

This is just one of the many failed designs. 8hhnHuC.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Another :0.0:
He is really going for new records with this one, i feel bad for someone who believes these videos are fake just because they can't get to orbit...jealousy is a bad thing

Quite impressive. But I can actually see a point in not taking in account something with that much use of "unintentional features" of the vanilla game.

And I don't think we need to make a fuss about where lies the fuzzy line.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, Vezbot said:

I didn't run a fuel line to the atomic engine so I couldn't fire the engine

You know the guy to blame for it?

The whole fun of this game is to learn what is not gonna work and then fix it, try again, drop the design, come with new solution and so on.

I also noticed after detaching the atomic engine, the structure connecting the left wheels came off.

Have You tested it before how it works? Before I send anything outthere I test how it decouple to see whats wrong.

So the rover lost half it's wheels.

Set more wheels - You gonna have a spare.

Then I redesigned my much bigger Mun rover which is a hundred times more stable and reliable then the rover I sent to Eve previously.

If it works - dont fix it.

I closed the game and went to bed.

So You can go asleep leaving poor Kerbals on Eve's hell without a ride? You ###!

This problem persisted just like last time, and the heat shield always moves and then turns, exposing and destroying everything behind it. 

Balance the craft - meybe some engines beneath the heatshild could help? They even can burn to decelerate the descent?

3.5 meter turns away from prograde at <60 km

10 meter heat shield turns from prograde at <70 km, destroying the craft.

So heat shield are not the solutions? They are the issue?

On 10/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, Vezbot said:

Pointing in the same direction? Or opposite directions?

Same - it will works like feather on dart.

If it helps You - asteroids give a proper mass on right end and can be detached when You fall to right altitude.

Or You could try to go flat on atmosphere to aerobrake and then dive deeper in this soup.

Edited by vv3k70r

On 11/18/2020 at 2:58 AM, vv3k70r said:

You know the guy to blame for it?

The whole fun of this game is to learn what is not gonna work and then fix it, try again, drop the design, come with new solution and so on.

Have You tested it before how it works? Before I send anything outthere I test how it decouple to see whats wrong.

Set more wheels - You gonna have a spare.

If it works - dont fix it.

So You can go asleep leaving poor Kerbals on Eve's hell without a ride? You ###!

Balance the craft - meybe some engines beneath the heatshild could help? They even can burn to decelerate the descent?

So heat shield are not the solutions? They are the issue?

Same - it will works like feather on dart.

If it helps You - asteroids give a proper mass on right end and can be detached when You fall to right altitude.

Or You could try to go flat on atmosphere to aerobrake and then dive deeper in this soup.

I appreciate the help and suggestions but I worked out these issues a while ago, the thread is fairly old. Regardless, have a nice day! 

6 minutes ago, Vezbot said:

I appreciate the help and suggestions but I worked out these issues a while ago, the thread is fairly old. Regardless, have a nice day! 

Topic is intresting for me. Good to have someone that found issues to avoid them im my mission and fell in trouble with other, unrecognized issues to solve them.

4 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

Topic is intresting for me. Good to have someone that found issues to avoid them im my mission and fell in trouble with other, unrecognized issues to solve them.

Yeah doing KSP missions leads to a lot of unknowns, sometimes if I don't design my crafts perfectly that could mean a fatal failure later on. And entering Eve's atmosphere or landing can bring out problems the vacuum of space can't, which can ultimately strand some poor soul to see nothing but purple land and pink oceans until they are somehow rescued. :/

Edited by Vezbot
Spelling fixes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.