Land and takeoff again from SPH roof

2 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Boom, I had a few drinks and decided to throw down the gauntlet! 426 Tons @Klapaucius, You're welcome. 

Legend!  I love the nose flick takeoff.   I had a 60ish tonne one I was trying, which was quite similar in principle--lots of landing gear and lots of panthers, but I just could not get it lined up correctly.  You are a much better pilot than I am.

I'm curious to see how many other rooftops you can land that thing on.

@Klapaucius it seems the forum update has erased a few posts, so you'll need to re-make the new scoreboard for landings with saves allowed.

And then you'll need to add me to the top :wink:

https://imgur.com/a/G5L2ZLV

Successful landings on: SPH, VAB, VAB South, R&D Bridge, R&D Main Building, R&D Observatory, Astronaut Complex, Administration Building, Mission Control, Tracking Station; landing on R&D Wind Tunnel with damage sustained, SPH control tower crash-landing- total points: 33.

Successful takeoffs from: SPH, VAB, VAB South, R&D Bridge, R&D Main Building, Astronaut Complex, Administration Building, Mission Control, Tracking Station; takeoff with damage sustained from R&D Wind Tunnel and an awkward but miraculously intact fall from the R&D Observatory roof with a ground takeoff- total points: 29.

Overall total: 62.

But I also landed on the launchpad, it's entirely up to you if that counts as 'a building' for this challenge; if it does, another 6 points.

6 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@Klapaucius it seems the forum update has erased a few posts, so you'll need to re-make the new scoreboard for landings with saves allowed.

Argh!  That is really annoying. Fortunately, this started happening as I was typing--I had opened another window to cross-reference something and noticed the site would not load, so I copied my response and pasted it into a word document just in case (something I have learned to do whenever I type something longer online).

Having called a special meeting of the adjudicating committee, K.R.A.S.S.H. Industries, (Klapaucias Reliable Air, Space, Sea & Hardware) have concluded the following:

1. That @ralanboyle is an honourable and talented pilot, who has in the best spirit of competition entered in and excelled at previous K.R.A.S.S.H. sponsored events, including fine performances at the 

Solid Rocket "SSTO" Challenge. 

2.  That  @jimmymcgoochie's  objection is valid.

3.  That being a sponsor of competitions of the highest calibre, with a strong focus on keeping everyone happy, we wish to remain so.

It is resolved that:

1.   @ralanboyle's record-breaking flight will be incorporated into a new category for most number of rooftops landed on with no restrictions on saving or restarting.  

2. The standard uninterrupted multi-landing competition and leaderboard will remain.

3.  @ralanboyle may take his bow as the first landing on the control tower.  Well done!

Edited by Klapaucius

7 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

@jimmymcgoochie- First, Good job. Second, I'd love to see some video of that thing flying. I'd like to know its stall speed and how you got it out of a few of those spots. Can we haz video? If not, can we haz craft file? 

I don’t have a video (never quite got the hang of cutting them down and it would be hours long otherwise) but the craft is just the stock Arrow-E with one seat removed and some action groups added to deploy flaps and propeller blades- switching the blades to be flat against the airflow is surprisingly effective at slowing it down.

Stall speed was somewhere below 20m/s so my main trick to land was slow down as much as possible, then un-deploy the prop blades (they really kill the speed when not deployed) and drop to the roof.

Okay, 

I made a new plane and took another run at the building landings with saves. I chose to define a rooftop based on it's "level" because of @Klapaucius's definition concerning the two levels of the VAB. Basically, I needed more buildings so if it's a different level roof, I counted it as a different building... Let me know if there is some other way to get a lot of points... I landed 16 times and took off 15. I plan to add more landings but I lost track of which ones I hit and needed to stop. 93 points, I think. Here ya go! 

9 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

I chose to define a rooftop based on it's "level" because of @Klapaucius's definition concerning the two levels of the VAB

This was my original intent, but I did not go into enough detail.  All good.

As for the flight, just awesome!  I loved the use of rover wheels. It looked as much like a driver's test with all the K turns as it did a flight.  And, you landed on the dome!

Edited by Klapaucius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.