Mods for console

Max lewin

Its in the hands of the console developers. 

It can be done as in Skyrim mods. 
But its still uncommon. 

KSP and other games using standard unity moding has another very serious issue. 
Anything other than part or config mods uses dll files or dynamic linked libraries. 
Now with an dll you can do pretty much anything on your system, its no way they will be allowed even if they could run at all. 
And do not use mods with dll from unknown sources, they should include source code and be reasonable popular. 

Skyrim as an example as I have modded for it also has scripts but they run on an in game interpreter and has no access to resources outside the game. 

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Its in the hands of the console developers. 

It can be done as in Skyrim mods. 
But its still uncommon. 

KSP and other games using standard unity moding has another very serious issue. 
Anything other than part or config mods uses dll files or dynamic linked libraries. 
Now with an dll you can do pretty much anything on your system, its no way they will be allowed even if they could run at all. 
And do not use mods with dll from unknown sources, they should include source code and be reasonable popular. 

Skyrim as an example as I have modded for it also has scripts but they run on an in game interpreter and has no access to resources outside the game. 

Modern consoles run in a sandbox held pretty tight with a Hypervisor; while i wouldn't doubt there's some exploit that would blow it wide open (PS4's ethernet controller had a vulnerability that allowed defeating the Hypervisor). Such a exploit wouldn't be only possible via DLLs, as it's a flaw in the Hardware or Hypervisor software itself that would allow the DLL to break out of the Hypervisor and begin corrupting memory in the first place.

So there's no reason except stubbornness on the part of the Console Manufacturers that they can't have mods, along with the fact that the limited memory and CPU on the Xbox One and PS4 would get absolutely creamed by even a light batch of mods. PS5 and Xbox Series X wouldn't have this same issue, but the PS5 is E-waste after 3 years because the OS drive is soldered (There's a separate space for an "Expansion drive", but it won't boot without the original OS drive), and the Xbox Sex is using 230 USD 1TB flash carts for storage....so i doubt they want anyone to be able to flash Linux on these things and actually get around their planned obsolescence, which allowing people to mod would eventually lead to. 

Also Skyrim mods are loaded into local memory (RAM) before hitting the Papyrus compiler, so they have plenty of access to resources outside the game if someone wanted to code it. There's just way easier ways to get Malware on someone's machine, and if you go the "Malicious M0DZ" route nobody will ever take you or your work seriously again. Where as using a Javascript attack, or just plain "Social Engineering" (Trickery) is anonymous and can often be done without the user even realizing what's happening.

But your overall point is correct; it's up to Sony and Micro$oft in the end. Just wanted to expand on some specifics.

While you CAN mod on consoles, it is incredibly difficult and you risk corruption of your console. (I have a friend who managed to mod gtav on his xbox) Really, your best bet is just to hope for all the mods that will/hopefully be made stock.

cheers-

Lewie

Edited by Lewie