[COMPLETED] Beyond Home Space Race - winner! @jimmymcgoochie

I'm thinking of running this one mostly/only using hydrolox and methalox engines- Cryo Engines, obviously, but with the addition of a patch that turns some stock engines into hydrolox and a second patch that I wrote myself to duplicate all hydrolox engines as methalox variants (based on the same ISP changes that were included in the NFLV methalox and Cryo Engines LFO patches). There's also a patch that allows the MK-33 to run hydrolox (hopefully the proper release won't have as many problems as I had last time around) and I'll also include the patch to make the stock and Restock+ NTRs use hydrogen for fuel.

Ooh, and the Interstellar Endurance mod with JadeofMaar's reconfig for the longest distance missions which also has a hydrogen fuel patch. While it's really powerful, it's also right at the end of the tech tree and I can't really use it for anything other than Interstellar missions.

There are a couple of important things to agree on with a science mode race- the science multiplier used and additional science experiments from mods. I'd prefer no extra science experiments from mods and a fairly low multiplier of 50% (or maybe less) otherwise it's too easy to complete the tech tree.

Hey guys...I am having a lot of trouble getting this to work. I put sigma dimensions into my game data folder, but it's still the stock size. And there are two bands in the sky (one transparent and one has a green marbled texture on it, and are located between scythe and gateway) and entire chunks of the terrain go missing when I am close to the ground. Does anyone have any idea to what is causing this?

Edited by Lewie

For rescaling, I take it the sigma > dimensions > setting.cfg should be modified to change rescale to 2.7. The result is this?:

SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

Resize = 1
	Rescale = 2.7
	Atmosphere = 1
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1

// Advanced Settings

landscape = 1
	geeASLmultiplier = 1

resizeScatter = 1
	resizeBuildings = 0
	groundTiling = 1

CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0

atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
	atmoTopLayer = 1
	atmoVisualEffect = 1

lightRange = 1

scanAltitude = 1
}

1 hour ago, Barrackar said:

For rescaling, I take it the sigma > dimensions > setting.cfg should be modified to change rescale to 2.7. The result is this?:

SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

Resize = 1
	Rescale = 2.7
	Atmosphere = 1
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1

// Advanced Settings

landscape = 1
	geeASLmultiplier = 1

resizeScatter = 1
	resizeBuildings = 0
	groundTiling = 1

CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0

atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
	atmoTopLayer = 1
	atmoVisualEffect = 1

lightRange = 1

scanAltitude = 1
}

Is that a question or advice to Lewie?

I want to join

But no rescale

Because I have NEVER played with a rescale and if there is a rescale KSPIE is allowed from start(so I can actually leave janus)

Just remove rescale and I will be fine

also rescaling would break my in progress beyond home career save

34 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

I want to join

But no rescale

Because I have NEVER played with a rescale and if there is a rescale KSPIE is allowed from start(so I can actually leave janus)

Just remove rescale and I will be fine

also rescaling would break my in progress beyond home career save

With all due, respect, the challenge is not going to be re-scaled just because you want it to. If you don't want your save to break, just copy it onto a hard drive so you can re-install it when the race is done. 

Cheers-

Lewie

Ok rescale is OK with me if you tell me how much delta V I need to get to orbit of rhode with the rescale also, when can we use KSPIE from, also would it be possible to use EPL(I do NOT want to haul 5 bases all the way to kerbol, also can we require that people NOT use cheeky tactics such as mass drivers, kraken drives, etc.) also REQUIRE persistent rotation, just so that people cannot stop things from rotating with no input of resources. for my mod I pick extraplanetary launchpads, also can we use hangar extender(for convenience sake due to interstellar vessels being huge) also I feel like the colonies need space stations as well as a SSTO vehicle to service those stations.

7 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

Ok rescale is OK with me if you tell me how much delta V I need to get to orbit of rhode with the rescale also, when can we use KSPIE from, also would it be possible to use EPL(I do NOT want to haul 5 bases all the way to kerbol, also can we require that people NOT use cheeky tactics such as mass drivers, kraken drives, etc.) also REQUIRE persistent rotation, just so that people cannot stop things from rotating with no input of resources. for my mod I pick extraplanetary launchpads, also can we use hangar extender(for convenience sake due to interstellar vessels being huge) also I feel like the colonies need space stations as well as a SSTO vehicle to service those stations.

I'm not actually sure. Just mess around with it, you'll find it eventually. 

K-drives are a no-no, and we are going to be taking screenshots throughout the race, so anyone using a k-drive will be called out. 

Hanger extension is a given for interstellar ships, you don't even need to ask.

Why require persistent rotation? It's not hurting anyone if our ships stop spinning. 

I'm not sure if you can use E.L as your mod. It has to be a part mod, and I have a feeling that we all are going to use E.L for our interstellar ships.

Cheers-

Lewie

Edited by Lewie

15 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Excuse me, EL?  I think that would be really overpowered; just make a von Neumann machine and some kerbals, and you're good to go...

I don't know...trying to get a Dedalus engine into orbit seems pretty daunting on it's own, not to mention the rest of the ship.

6 minutes ago, Entropian said:

I think you're overestimating how hard it is to get an interstellar ship in orbit.  In JNSQ it will be a bit harder, yes, but not insurmountable; a good challenge!

I dunno, man...I tried to get a ship that was quite similar to the IEV Clarke into orbit, and that failed miserably. with all due respect, that's not a challenge, that's masochism. (at least the way I tried it)

17 minutes ago, Entropian said:

IEV Clarke?

EDIT: What science gain percent are we using?

Sorry...it’s The Beardy Penguin’s first (technically second) interstellar ship. Think of the Daedalus engine ship from the ks2 trailer.

And I believe the science gain is 50%. Personally, I’d vouch for 75% seeing as kspie nodes can cost quite a bit of science.

Edited by Lewie

@Barrackar I added the following .cfg file directly to GameData:

@SigmaDimensions
{
    // Base Settings; generic patching of all bodies in the game

@Resize = 3.5
    @Rescale = 3.5
    @Atmosphere = 1.15
    @dayLengthMultiplier = 1.6

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 0.68
    @geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
    @resizeBuildings = 0

@CustomSoISize = 0
    @CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
    @tempASL = 1
    @atmoTopLayer = 1.28
    @atmoVisualEffect = 1.13

@scanAltitude = 1
}

//Adjust homeworld specifically to closely approach JNSQ Kerbin
@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
                @atmoASL = 1.52
        @tempASL = 1.1
        @geeASLmultiplier = 1.3
        @Atmosphere = 1.6
        @atmoTopLayer = 1.06
        @atmoVisualEffect = 1.3
    }   
    }
}

@EVE_CLOUDS:FINAL
{
    @OBJECT,*
    {
        @altitude *= 0.62
    }
}

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]:NEEDS[scatterer]
{
    @Body:HAS[@Template:HAS[#name[Sun]]]
    {
        %ScaledVersion
        {
            %Light
            {
                %sunLensFlareColor = 0,0,0,0
            }
        }
    }
}

Then removed these two lines from Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/ResizePQSMods.cfg:

&minDetailDistance = 8

@minDetailDistance /= #$../SigmaDimensions/Resize$

Everything seems to be working fine, although admittedly I haven't actually flown a single craft in it yet so I can't say for sure that nothing is wrong.

I think that for the interstellar part of the challenge the launch site on Lua should be allowed; but no sooner! It's trivially easy to get to orbit from that launchpad, with the 0.16g and 17km atmosphere and an orbital velocity of less than 1km/s compared to Rhode's 3.8km/s (broadly similar to JNSQ Kerbin).

also EL needs to be a given, daedalus engine won't fit in a fairing, also if EL is a thing, then you will not have to haul big, akward base parts to kerbol, and then assemble them once there, my first interstellar ship brought EL parts and then made a surface base on lond when it arrived. also, maybe require a grand tour of kerbol system(easy with interstellar engines)

75%

for sci gain

daedalus tech needs 4k science and people already complain about labs on this fourum

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.