[COMPLETED] Beyond Home Space Race - winner! @jimmymcgoochie

In the spirit of @Misguided_Kerbal's JNSQ Race, which you can check out here if you want:

This time we will be doing it with @Gameslinx's Beyond Home

All players will use a specific mod, along with Stock parts, KIS, and KAS along with any Graphics, Info, or QoL mods you want.

We may need a rescale according to some players who have tried this before, so just in case:

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/releases

Rules:

1. Everything will be based on Game-time. Example: Two players reach orbit on the same day, however, the first player got into orbit at Day 1, 35 min, 23 sec; while the other player got into orbit at Day 1, 30 min, 8 sec. In this case, the 2nd player would receive points for reaching orbit first.
  2. You may pick a parts mod, but once you pick your part mod, you must stay with that. You are allowed to use Stock parts though. Once a part mod is chosen, other players can’t use that mod.
  3. You will have to take a screenshot of the tech tree after each launch, the mission report (Where they show how much science you got), and pictures during the mission, should show the liftoff, staging events, and any other significant events, and then either the end of your mission or the landing.
  4. You may post only on Saturdays. Due to some people giving complaints about how far others have gotten.

Milestones:

Here.

Ending:

First one to have bases with 10 kerbals on Janus and its moons wins!

Participants:

@Dat Kerbal Dude

Krazy Labs. Inc

Using @CobaltWolf Bluedog Design Bureau

Kraziness.png

@jimmymcgoochie

AAARG (Rhode Division)

Near Future Technologies by @Nertea

0X25JoD.png

@kspnerd122

Using @linuxgurugamer's KW Rocketry Rebalanced

NASA.png

@camacju

Hephaestus Space Program

a3ePHPl.png

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
More Information!

https://github.com/Morphisor244/Beyond-Home-Rescale

A ready-made config to make Beyond Home match the scale of JNSQ.

Is Contares mandatory? I'm not a huge fan of the 'you must use these mods' thing, but I'm prepared to live with it if it means things are more balanced than the free-for-all that can so easily happen otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Entropian said:

This is based on in-game time, right?

It should be; although to be fair the JNSQ space race was also game-time based but I bombed through it in real time and everyone else gave up... This time round, between this, my Kerbalism career that I'm also doing reports for and still plugging away at Audacity (plus boring stuff like 'work' and 'life') I'll probably be a lot slower.

Probably.

A few more questions:

Are other parts mods allowed besides Contares?

How about science experiments? It would be easy to unlock everything by adding a load of extra science experiments and turning the science gains up really high, so how about a cap on science gains and no extra science parts?

What are the goals for the race? Besides making a few basic launches into LRO there's nothing until 'land a 10 Kerbal base on Janus' and I would like to see a set of goals for different planets/moons to add more of a sense of progression.

Can you use the launch site on Rhode's moon? With less air and gravity to deal with it would be a lot easier launching from there.

Ok, I've been playing with Contares, and I think it's not a good decision to only use them.  There's waaaaayyyy too many parts, and they are way too this-part-only-attaches-to-this-part, if you will.  I think including some part mods or even going stock is better than Contares.

5 hours ago, Entropian said:

Ok, I've been playing with Contares, and I think it's not a good decision to only use them.  There's waaaaayyyy too many parts, and they are way too this-part-only-attaches-to-this-part, if you will.  I think including some part mods or even going stock is better than Contares.

I completely agree- when I added them in all I got was a gigantic wall of parts that made little sense to me. I’d much rather use the mods I used last time (Near Future/Restock family and a few others like Mk33 which are balanced for JNSQ-scale systems), so maybe an agreed set of parts mods would be a better idea than a unilateral decision.

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I’d much rather use the mods I used last time (Near Future/Restock family and a few others like Mk33 which are balanced for JNSQ-scale systems), so maybe an agreed set of parts mods would be a better idea than a unilateral decision.

Agreed.  NF/Restock is great;  JNSQ scale sounds good.

18 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Maybe picking one part pack to use for the rest of the game? Like I could only use BDB stuff, and another would use Tantares and so on. Hmm. I'll update everything by (hopefully) Thursday.

I like that idea! It'd definitely give each of our space programs their own unique flair.

4 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

You do realise that you can have more than one copy of KSP at the same time? Make a new copy for this and your career save will be untouched.

Eh. I’m having some trouble with it, so I’ll scrap the career save. 

Lewie is in the race, bois. 

1 hour ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I'm thinking once we start with the interstellar stuff, we'll all use NFT. For the moment, pick a mod like BDB, or Tantares and so on, for the beginning achievements. You can still use stock parts if you want.

What about KSP Interstellar expended? That can be VERY handy for interstellar travel. 

KSPIE is quite overpowered for this, I think.  I've never used BDB or Tantares, so I'll probably go with Near Future Launch Vehicles, Cryo Engines+Tanks, Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux, and stock parts if that's fine.  Kerbal Atomics is way too overpowered for this.

2 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I'm thinking once we start with the interstellar stuff, we'll all use NFT. For the moment, pick a mod like BDB, or Tantares and so on, for the beginning achievements. You can still use stock parts if you want.

And KSPIE. Okay, please save the NFT stuff for the interstellar stuff later on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.