Best version of the game for mods?

Phobos Anomaly

1 hour ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I was wondering what the best version of KSP for playing modded playthroughs are, I wanted use scansat, part overhauls, warp drives, more planets, etc. Which version of the game is compatible with types of mods like this?

I'm running about 225 mods in 1.10.1 without any significant issues

15 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I was wondering what the best version of KSP for playing modded playthroughs are, I wanted use scansat, part overhauls, warp drives, more planets, etc. Which version of the game is compatible with types of mods like this?

Like what @linuxgurugamer said, 1.10.1 will give you many options for mods. Personally, I’d recommend 1.9.1. Many more mods are open for use. 

I would try 1.10.1. Kopernicus, which is a required mod to use planet packs, has been adopted by a new development team and does have a test version available for 1.10.1. I haven't tried it yet but others have had success.

If you encounter trouble getting Kopernicus to work with 1.10.1, then maybe go all the way back to 1.8.3.

(Kopernicus does a lot of complex stuff, and frequently needs substantial rework for new KSP releases. Parts mods generally have fewer issues across KSP versions.)

1.10.1- all the latest game features, but not all mods are updated to include those changes (e.g. to the drag system to allow open-ended fairings). Some of the very newest mods are listed as only compatible with 1.10.x, though they may work in earlier versions too; sticking to the latest version of the game and mods means you get the latest and greatest additions at the expense of a potentially smaller selection. Also has a few annoying bugs in it.

1.9.1- nearly as many core features as the latest release but has been out for far longer so more mods are compatible; expect some occasional issues when using the very latest versions of some mods which are intended for use in 1.10.x but on the whole it should work without (m)any problems. Also has a couple of minor bugs in it, but some mods exist to correct these (e.g. fuel transfer issues).

1.8.1- a bit older again, still keeps the most useful new features and parts (on the fly part action assigning/changing) but does without some recent additions (ultra terrain shaders and some performance improvements). Generally anything that works in 1.9.1 will work in 1.8.1 and vice versa and 1.8.x to 1.10.x mods are largely inter compatible, but exceptions exist with the conspicuous example of Kopernicus which is version locked; parts and planet packs tend to be OK if you use them in different versions but if something breaks it’s that much harder to find the cause and solution.

1.7.3- the last release on the old Unity system, meaning that many mods that include scripts or code that run in-game had to be changed between 1.7.3 and 1.8’s release. Supports many older mods and those which haven't been updated in a long time but newer versions of mods for 1.8 and later have a high chance of not working. Also does without a lot of the newest features and performance can be worse too, but if you’re using old mods this might be your best bet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.