Burned out of gaming, any help?

Serenity

Just now, Boyster said:

What if depression is not a chronic disease but a major part of who we are?

Learning to live with it or learning who you really are?

We have many bad things inside our body that they are essential to our being

I'm not defined by my sickness, but by what I do. And when you're depressed, you're not doing anything. So you basically stop existing.

I can't be depression. But it's a part of what I am, the same way any other chronic disease and pain is part of what people suffering from these are. Some are walking in clutches, some needs to take daily drugs, some might kill themselves without much of a warning. It's a daily struggle, there's good days and years, and there's bad ones, but still, a struggle.

I'm better now than six month ago. But maybe in the ext year I'll be back in that highly depressed state. Maybe I'll be better. I can't know that's what this disease is.

But, that's not the case of all depressions, some are not chronic and you can actually recover from it, and be someone different after that.

Sorry if it's a bit gloomy, but that's the reality of it.

There's some treatment that makes it manageable, and it gets better with time. But it can also get way worse.

6 minutes ago, Okhin said:

There's some treatment that makes it manageable, and it gets better with time. But it can also get way worse.

I feel i failed to express my point fully and i apologize,

i consider treatment as valuable and needed as it is to go out for a walk.

Its a human ingenious way to improve and discover what life really is.

I am not against it in no way.

But sometimes people tell me they regret the time spent before they were diagnosed.

I say you shouldnt regret nothing, if you experience both states of mind then you have achieved a more complete state of mind.

Edit* Sry english is not my native language and i repeat same words again and again, i am kinda limited on how to express fully.

Edited by Boyster

For what it is worth, in the movie (shown in video) one racer stops racing because he knows he is risking his life, and he values his life, or rather, the fact that his wife would be hurt terribly that he died on the track.

In real life the two racers had an amicable rivalry, and the blond racer who won the final race 'lost' in that he succumbed to alcoholism and a lifestyle of sleeping around with a lot of partners.

Later on after wasting much of his fortune he went to his former rival who helped get his life back on track and even helped him get a new job (after both of their racing careers were over).

In the end the blond racer died first, probably from health effects of his lifestyle, and his former rival died later on, but he spoke well of him in interviews.  Remarking that the rivalry between them actually made him a better racer... even though it almost cost him his life (IRL Nikki Lauda DID almost die in a racing crash).

Edited by Spacescifi

Perhaps I'm being a contrarian, but unless you've been diagnosed, I don't think this qualifies depression... you're just bored. I know the feeling you're talking about (staring at the steam library, launching games only to close them back), and really it's just that no game is appealing to you at the current moment. Note that this also isn't specific to gaming only... I've spent the better part of this year working 24/7 on a specific project, and after we finally finished it, I felt exactly the way you describe but outside gaming, nothing seemed appealing enough to do, there was no motive. I had no mission. I've really come out of it right after I was assigned a new responsibility, but just before that I was beginning to return to normal after I decided to come back to KSP after nearly 2 years without playing it, start a new career and put a base on every celestial body. Perhaps giving yourself a new challenge can help.

I find this to be periodic in relation to games, happens every once in a while (at least for me). I usually recognize it when it happens and just wait it out until I'm interested in something else and go back to normal. I'm not going to tell you to read a book, go out or whatnot, because only you can figure out what to do, but I'd recommend some YouTube. Eventually you'll stumble upon something that's actually interesting to you and gain a new "mission" to be entertained with. That's what I usually do...

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

For what it is worth, in the movie (shown in video) one racer stops racing because he knows he is risking his life, and he values his life, or rather, the fact that his wife would be hurt terribly that he died on the track.

In real life the two racers had an amicable rivalry, and the blond racer who won the final race 'lost' in that he succumbed to alcoholism and a lifestyle of sleeping around with a lot of partners.

Later on after wasting much of his fortune he went to his former rival who helped get his life back on track and even helped him get a new job (after both of their racing careers were over).

In the end the blond racer died first, probably from health effects of his lifestyle, and his former rival died later on, but he spoke well of him in interviews.  Remarking that the rivalry between them actually made him a better racer... even though it almost cost him his life (IRL Nikki Lauda DID almost die in a racing crash).

Hmm, thanks for  the summary.
To me then, that movie, looks like a heavy manipulated plot just to showcase some moral values.

I don't meant its bad but usually i get a bit itchy when i am watching movies with that type of mechanisms(i might have seen it back in the day, their faces look so familiar)

2 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Perhaps I'm being a contrarian, but unless you've been diagnosed, I don't think this qualifies depression... you're just bored.

Assigning and categorizing our health problems its part of the process to combat them.

Things like boredom, not being motivated do belong in the mental problems category.

Depression is just a way to start accepting, you need to do something, its not only about the clinical brain part.

I think ''you are just bored'' its just a deflection of what you feeling and how actively you should combat it.

I know the feeling you're talking about (staring at the steam library, launching games only to close them back), and really it's just that no game is appealing to you at the current moment.

Eventually you'll stumble upon something that's actually interesting to you and gain a new "mission" to be entertained with. That's what I usually do...

Yeah these two are spot in what i am feeling the past few months...so spot on

Edited by Boyster

11 hours ago, Boyster said:

I dislike chess because my ability to foresee that i lost is way better than actually planning how to win.

i had a russian friend in high school. needless to say i never got anywhere playing chess. but at least i learned about vodka.

Edited by Nuke

I always thought this was only specific to me (as I have ADHD). Most of the time I bought a game, played it for a few weeks, make it a passion, and ten loose said passion. The only game that has brought me back over and over again is Kerbal Space Program. Even then, I have had months where I would not play the game (This is also why I occasionally just disappear off the face of the earth, just to be back in a month). At least for me, I have become an expert in telling when I am going to drop the passion. I always just set goals in the game to accomplish (70% for me). Or I would just not get the game to begin with (90% for me). If there is one thing you could take away, and this applies to anyone who reads this.

Try looking for things, but don't focus on the big topics people like. You might just like something that has a small community in comparison to others.

What's the name of the movie? Due to German copyright law I can't see the youtube video.
@Boyster I'm in the "get a job, get a hobby" camp too.  After I finished my bachelor degree I wasted two years trying to get a master I actually didn't had any motivation to to anything for it. Dropping off and looking for a job I could do with my bachelor degree was one of the best decisions of my life. Especially it meant I had to to a lot of things (looking for a job, organizing the move to a new town etc) and finally having a regular schedule.  If you are unemployed at the moment but wants to do something different try to learn programming, it can be fun to make new stuff and might help later in life. Python is a great language for beginners: https://diveintopython3.problemsolving.io/
However: Programming as a hobby is still a computer-related hobby (like gaming), so I have a kind of different idea: Since I was fed up with spending my days with the pc during the Covid-19-Lockdown (Homeoffice, so I looked at the PC the whole day, didn't even had the usual break from the trip between flat and office) I started to learn playing guitar (should work with any other instrument too).
I invested around 200 Euro (one classical guitar for beginners (don't buy under 100 € they are a cheap rip-off!) and a instruction book and new strings, for tuning I use a free Android app ) and this was a good idea too. It's something different than gaming or programming, it doesn't need a PC (so a reason to turn it off!) and it feels like a real achievement if you manage a difficult chord or one of your favourite songs :)
So: Learning an instrument might be something for you. Guitars are quite beginner-friendly, but there are much more If you don't like them.

Play something else. I got burned out these weeks, and decided to play something completely different. I'm playing Tempest - I love these "Pirates!" rip-off, some are pretty decent.

Less than two weeks of playing, and now and then I see a bug or flaw and think to myself ("on KSP, I know how to fix this...").

I suspect I will be playing KSP again in a week at most. :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
Tyops!

9 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Play something else. I got burned out these weeks, and decided to play something completely different. I'm playing Tempest - I love these "Pirates!" rip-off, some are pretty decent.

Less than two weeks of playing, and now and then I see a bug or flaw and thing ("on KSP, I know how to fix this...").

I suspect I will be playing KSP again in a week at most. :sticktongue:

I was locked into open-world games and building/management(factorio etc).

I do feel that focusing in the same genre blurs the games and make them feel like you playing just one.

You have a good point there.

9 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Feels like an average copy-paste of Sid Meier's Pirates! and Port Royale but it looks fun i guess, i might look into it.

Edited by Boyster

19 hours ago, Boyster said:

Feels like an average copy-paste of Sid Meier's Pirates! and Port Royale but it looks fun i guess, i might look into it.

The economics are too simple (and somewhat flawed, I think - but I'm on the game for less than 60 hours, I may be missing something) to deserve the title "copy and paste" from Port Royale. But SId Meyer's Pirates! was the base for this game for sure - including some subplots.

What I really enjoyed on this game is the naval battles - clearly inspired on the Assassin's Creed Black Flag naval combat - you can zoom in on the ship's deck and play from there the whole game if you wish, I found this pretty interesting (and difficult). Black Flag OST, however, are light years ahead of this one - the game OST is not bad, Black Flag it's magnificent on this point.

Of course, they had to tamper the thing with "magical artifacts" - I think this spoiled a bit the environment, but I can live with that. I'm trying to avoid using these things as a personal challenge.

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag naval combat

Black Flag as a standalone naval game would be one of the best ever created!!!!

What a missed chance was that one!

Ubisoft is so self destructive and wasting all this potential with their games, it wrecks my nerves.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:51 AM, Boyster said:

Black Flag as a standalone naval game would be one of the best ever created!!!!

What a missed chance was that one!

Ubisoft is so self destructive and wasting all this potential with their games, it wrecks my nerves.

Ive 4000 hours in this game. You should give it a go but I do not play it anymore because I do not agree with certain design choices the developers have made. I am extremely competitive when it comes to mmos. It used to be more skill based and less about inventory farming and p2w mechanics. Anyway you should give it a go if youre bored. I used to be one of the best players in that game. Commanded nations and everything. Has a low playerbase now and it can be toxic. I was one of the more toxic players to be fair but thats what makes content in these games. The more youre hated the more fights you get. 

Edited by dave1904

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.