Lost two good Kerbals last night.

Dave Kermin

I forgot to do a save before starting a re-entry procedure from my very first manned Mun mission.

Thought I would be ok using my last stage as an aerobrake, it flipped on its side and all was gone within 2 to 3 seconds.

I’m gonna miss Jeb and Bill.:/

Edited by Dave Kermin

12 hours ago, Dave Kermin said:

I forgot to do a save before starting a re-entry procedure from my very first manned Mun mission.

Thought I would be ok using my last stage as an aerobrake, it flipped on its side and all was gone within 2 to 3 seconds.

I’m gonna miss Jeb and Bill.:/

You---- you----- you got them POOFED???

Sad to hear it. I haven't played in a while and did not realized capsules now have a relative wing area associated with them. SO, I built my typical SpaceX SSTO, but as usual, did not add a heat shield on the payload stage. When I returned from Minmus, my craft flips over, nose first and dove straight into the ground, killing Jeb.

It seems head shield now have that relative wing area and is the only way to keep a spacecraft pointed the right way. AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Zamolxes77 said:

It seems head shield now have that relative wing area and is the only way to keep a spacecraft pointed the right way. AFAIK.

Heatshields have both a mass offset factor and lift values, because the aerodynamics model is too stupid to account for natural stability the shape of the craft should provide (or notice overall craft shape at all for that matter). Installing a heatshield on a pod will artificially move both the CoM and CoP of the system to make it stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.