Xenon and On

3D Artist Jonathan Cooper set up a test scene to review some of his colony parts, as well as to play with some team color and lighting variations. Coop spends a lot of time obsessing over detail and consistency, and I love how it's paying off as the modules are used in combination.

The two structures immediately behind the Kerbals are Xenon fuel factories. I have no idea why you'd want two of these. These Kerbals must be really excited about tiny space probes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I can't finish digesting a reveal that you post this, today is a good day for reveals I see.

(thanks, we were getting paranoid again around here).

Nuts! This game is gonna be beauuutifuuul! I cannot wait to churn out tiny space probes en masse! Nice solar panels there, too. I wonder, will at least some base parts be available for ships as well?

17 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

Nuts! This game is gonna be beauuutifuuul! I cannot wait to churn out tiny space probes en masse! Nice solar panels there, too. I wonder, will at least some base parts be available for ships as well?

I hope so, so we can make ships in the scale of kilometers lmao

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

I like the different environmental effects. I hope I will be able to actually use them. It's neat that the coloration of the buildings will sync with the colors chosen by the player. 

I'm not a fan of the mushroom topped colony buildings. I hope to be able to move away from that design when the colony matures.

11 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

The two structures immediately behind the Kerbals are Xenon fuel factories. I have no idea why you'd want two of these. These Kerbals must be really excited about tiny space probes.

The Kerbal that is second on the left in the first pic is a robot. He has a red pupil. @The Doodling Astronaut, what can we make out of this discovery?? Yes, @Nate Simpson, I can hardly explain how excited I will be to be able to preorder KSP2. One serious question though, will you have a beta branch for the console version.

Also, the left eye of each Kerbal is tilted up slightly.

8 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

So, about energy production.... i know those solar panels arent the only thing running the place. 

Xenon generators???? I mean they are producing plenty, and a probe only needs so much, so maybe generators similar to RTGs are becoming a big thing.

18 minutes ago, linecrafter said:

mr nate sir this is cool and all but what about showing off really cool stuff
u know
multiplayer????

God knows that it will be later, and also, it will be a basic look, very basic look. 

1 minute ago, KSPFanatic102 said:

YESSSSSSS

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. What are we yesing about.

Edited by Mikenike

19 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Xenon generators???? I mean they are producing plenty, and a probe only needs so much, so maybe generators similar to RTGs are becoming a big thing.

There's a huge (and I mean HUGE) reveal when they talk about power generation during the podcast interview, go listen that.

Just now, Master39 said:

Yes, both of them

Can you answer as to why the Kerbman's eye is red?? Or would you rather stay out of that rabbit hole?

I absolutely am on board with the generator idea, as long as I can't kill my Kerbs with it. @Nate Simpson, will we be able to terraform different planets to fit Kerbals? And will there be a goldilocks type planet in a different solar system? Maybe some ruins on another planet, hinting at a past civilization.

Just now, AlamoVampire said:

@Mikenike if you zoom in on that kerbal you will see that his pupil is black. Its a reflection on the helmets glass. Compare to the lady kerbal next to him. The reflection lines up on him but not her. 

I saw that, but I wanted to get the gears of people's brain working.

But what have the little probes to do with it? Xenon can be used as fuel for large interplanetary spacecraft with an electrical power of at least 300-500 MW.
In 20 days of operation of the ion engine, such a ship will be able to gain a very significant speed.

Although it requires an advanced nuclear reactor with a high energy density and a lightweight drop cooling system instead of a huge radiator.

Edited by OOM

12 minutes ago, OOM said:

But what have the little probes to do with it? Xenon can be used as fuel for large interplanetary spacecraft with an electrical power of at least 300-500 MW.
In 20 days of operation of the ion engine, such a ship will be able to gain a very significant speed.

Although it requires an advanced nuclear reactor with a high energy density and a lightweight drop cooling system instead of a huge radiator.

They gave a lot of details about how big ships will work in the podcast and it seems that, even in the case of huge xenon engines not being a thing (nobody mentioned such engines directly as for now) having to think about cooling and power generation whole designing ships will be a thing.

37 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Can you answer as to why the Kerbman's eye is red?? Or would you rather stay out of that rabbit hole?

I don't think it's anything more than a funny reflection or Easter egg.