Xenon and On

HOLY CRAP! THAT'S AMAZING!!! LIKE THIS COMMENT IF YOU THINK KSP2 IS GONNA MOP THE FLOOR WITH OTHER SPACE GAMES XD!!! Applause To the developers who made it possible 

HUUURRRRAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Time To Sacrifice Kerbals Once More, For Science!!!

@SQUAD @Matt Lowne @Zimm @The Doodling Astronaut @Nate Simpson

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

The Kerbal that is second on the left in the first pic is a robot. He has a red pupil.

Either Coop has clandestinely added some kind of Terminator Kerbal, or he added a point light behind the camera to get a nice highlight. 

17 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Either Coop has clandestinely added some kind of Terminator Kerbal, or he added a point light behind the camera to get a nice highlight. 

I'm fine with the easter egg, but I hate to say I think it is a highlight, because you can see a reflection on the other helment visors.

48 minutes ago, OOM said:

But what have the little probes to do with it? Xenon can be used as fuel for large interplanetary spacecraft with an electrical power of at least 300-500 MW.
In 20 days of operation of the ion engine, such a ship will be able to gain a very significant speed.

Although it requires an advanced nuclear reactor with a high energy density and a lightweight drop cooling system instead of a huge radiator.

Yes, but it is much more inefficient than your conventional LF/OX engine, or the NERVAs, which in there very nature are only efficient in niche roles and in large amounts.

55 minutes ago, Master39 said:

They gave a lot of details about how big ships will work in the podcast and it seems that, even in the case of huge xenon engines not being a thing (nobody mentioned such engines directly as for now) having to think about cooling and power generation whole designing ships will be a thing.

To be Honest, i will express my opinion to the KSP team. i hope they aren't planning to make the leap (in technological terms) from shrimp sized ion engines to 40ft Anti-Matter combustion engines... Not that i wouldn't like they game if they did that but having Fat-sized Ion engines does look a little bit needed for gameplay (so the little ion probes don't dictate the ion propulsion section)... Anyways i think so far, THE KSP teams has done an amazing job!

Time To Sacrifice Kerbals Once More, FOR SCIENCE!!!*Handle Science Responsibly.

Sincerely, DAFATRONALDO IN SPACE (LOVE THE GREAT WORK!!!)

@SQUAD @The Doodling Astronaut @Dr. Kerbal @Zimm @Matt Lowne @KerballingSmasher @Nate Simpson 

44 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I'm fine with the easter egg, but I hate to say I think it is a highlight, because you can see a reflection on the other helment visors.

Yes, but it is much more inefficient than your conventional LF/OX engine, or the NERVAs, which in there very nature are only efficient in niche roles and in large amounts.

Chemical rocket engines are enough only to take off from the planet and gain the first space speed. Well, maybe even slower interplanetary travel. NERVA is generally a useless engine, as it has a complex nuclear reactor, but at the same time gives only a delta of 8900 m / s. Anything below a closed-cycle gas-core nuclear engine with a specific impulse of ~ 2300-2450 simply has no right to exist. Ionic engines (especially its subspecies - VASIMIR) are not a bad option in this regard.
The nuclear reactor + ion thrusters offer tremendous capabilities that conventional nuclear thrusters like the RD-0410 or NERVA cannot provide.

Edited by OOM

13 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

i hope they aren't planning to make the leap (in technological terms) from shrimp sized ion engines to 40ft Anti-Matter combustion engines... Not that i wouldn't like they game if they did that but having Fat-sized Ion engines does look a little bit needed for gameplay (so the little ion probes don't dictate the ion propulsion section).

I have almost the opposite feeling, a lot of people here already thinks of what will they do after they'll "mastered" the game like they did with KSP1 but I think we're severely underestimating the size of this game.

I think that just the missions required to set up the first orbital shipyard (from the first KSP1-like exploration to mining resources to building the refining/production plants for parts to bringing all of the required materials and resources in orbit to build the shipyard) will make people forget about the need to install "contract packs" to have things to do.

Even in the most simplified case possible were you just only have a single "ore" and a generic "irsu" like KSP1 (thing that this post already disproves by confirming the existence of "xenon fuel factories") the amount of infrastructure needed would just be insane.

It wasn't until I saw this one:

image.png.6e150f01ff3db5307c7e17f5b87c04da.png

that I realized how big it was. Wow it seems so hard to process how big these buildings will be in KSP 2.

my head is just hurting of how you would build that

On 10/16/2020 at 7:58 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It wasn't until I saw this one:

image.png.6e150f01ff3db5307c7e17f5b87c04da.png

that I realized how big it was. Wow it seems so hard to process how big these buildings will be in KSP 2.

Dear Developers of KSP2

You know, i wonder why Squad, Take-Two Interactive, and the KSP Team haven't made An advertisement with PS4, or XBOX (like the one's PS4 releases about Resident evil and Minecraft and games like that). Game developers (Hear me out) i think you should do an advertisement with PS4 and XBOX to advertise this game so average people can see how good this game really IS! Make sure you include the trailer to captivate people (The trailer almost made me tear up!) i really hope you look into this option as it will heavily increase demand for the game by captivating people's imagination to Build, Fly, and Dream.

Sincerely, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE!

@SQUAD @The Doodling Astronaut @Nate Simpson @KerballingSmasher @Zimm 

6 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

my head is just hurting of how you would build that

I'm operating under the assumption that what we see here is third-generation colony tech. You wouldn't be dropping these modules down to the surface - rather the colony at this point is already large enough that it can manufacture its own modules and simply plop them anywhere.

Just now, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Game developers (Hear me out) i think you should do an advertisement with PS4 and XBOX to advertise this game so average people can see how good this game really IS!

It's a good idea for sure, but I don't think there at the stage where they should advertise heavily. In fact the only advertisement I have seen for KSP 2 was last year at announcement. Probably wait a little bit till we are a little closer

Just now, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It's a good idea for sure, but I don't think there at the stage where they should advertise heavily. In fact the only advertisement I have seen for KSP 2 was last year at announcement. Probably wait a little bit till we are a little closer

Great Idea we should probably look into heavy Advertisement in summer or spring of 2021 (ASSUMING KSP2 does not get delayed any further). I was just putting that out there so the KSP Developers don't forget. Otherwise, it may not be able to attract any new buyers! 

Sincerely, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE "Spamming the Forums for all Kerbal-Kind"

@DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE Nate Simpsons has already made it clear that KSP2's stock tech tree will be appropriately larger than KSP1's stock tree (assume it's at least as big as CTT). Engines of all sizes will be there. But progression between them will be smooth and drawn out. Also, by the simple fact that great and powerful fusion rockets are present, you know that the Dawn ion engine is no longer the best (and only) means to non-nuclear, high efficiency propulsion. Intercept Games is indeed using Nertea's achievements as one of their yard sticks to deliver a base game that we'll all judge harshly and enjoy deeply so we can expect VASMIR and other fanciful ion drives between the Dawn and the awesome and deadly nuclear engines shown in the trailers.

Also, the giant text and proclamation of killing kerbals for science is making you look bad. No need to scream in your posts, my dude.

Now for my own comment: I do hope all of that industrial background goodness is capable of resources other than just Xenon. Argon (and whatever variety of other inert gases used by mod things) would be quite welcome to be supported here. Of course... I expect that to be left up to the mods to do. :) And having player colors for kerbals and structures is a legendary idea. A lot of novel gameplay mechanics can come out of that. Friendly empires and trade tycoon mini-games, anyone? ;)

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I do hope all of that industrial background goodness is capable of resources other than just Xenon

I've seen references to metallic hydrogen and nuclear pellet factories, so that's three types of factories so far.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE Nate Simpsons has already made it clear that KSP2's stock tech tree will be appropriately larger than KSP1's stock tree (assume it's at least as big as CTT). Engines of all sizes will be there. But progression between them will be smooth and drawn out. Also, by the simple fact that great and powerful fusion rockets are present, you know that the Dawn ion engine is no longer the best (and only) means to non-nuclear, high efficiency propulsion. Intercept Games is indeed using Nertea's achievements as one of their yard sticks to deliver a base game that we'll all judge harshly and enjoy deeply so we can expect VASMIR and other fanciful ion drives between the Dawn and the awesome and deadly nuclear engines shown in the trailers.

Also, the giant text and proclamation of killing kerbals for science is making you look bad. No need to scream in your posts, my dude.

Now for my own comment: I do hope all of that industrial background goodness is capable of resources other than just Xenon. Argon (and whatever variety of other inert gases used by mod things) would be quite welcome to be supported here. Of course... I expect that to be left up to the mods to do. :) And having player colors for kerbals and structures is a legendary idea. A lot of novel gameplay mechanics can come out of that. Friendly empires and trade tycoon mini-games, anyone? ;)

I'll have you know that i sacrifice EVERY KERBAL EXCEPT THE ORIGINAL FOUR KERBALS FOR SCIENCE. at the end of the day, what's so good about success if there is no faliure or challenge leading to it? that is one of KSP'S Main challenges (PATIENCE IS KEY!!! XD) 

probably a whole lot more coming.

YOUR DAMN RIGHT THERE IS! I EVEN WONDER IF THEY WILL INCLUDE FUSION PROPULSION OR FUSION FACTORIES! SORRY FOR THE CAPS BY THE WAY!

Just now, prestja said:

I've seen references to metallic hydrogen and nuclear pellet factories, so that's three types of factories so far.

I may say that this confirmation makes all the debate about splitting "liquid fuel" in 2 or more IRL fuels being too difficult to understand seem a bit shortsighted.

2 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Let's list out the propellants (confirmed ISRU in bold):

• Liquid fuel (methalox?)
  • Oxidizer
  • Monopropellant (hydrazine?)
  • Xenon gas
  • Metallic Hydrogen
  • Helium-3 (ICF?)
  • Nuclear pellets

What fuel do we expect the fusion torchships to consume?

Edited by prestja

Just now, prestja said:

Torchships have been theorized to be Antimatter (because of how ridiculously fast you go when you use Antimatter)

To create antimatter you would need a collider facility. Of course at the rate current humanity is producing them that might take a while

but that's a whole topic section that deserves it's own thread.

New Antimatter Experiment at Large Hadron Collider Will Help With the  Search for Dark Matter

Just now, prestja said:

Let's list out the propellants (confirmed ISRU in bold):

• Liquid fuel (methalox?)
  • Oxidizer
  • Monopropellant (hydrazine?)
  • Xenon gas
  • Metallic Hydrogen
  • Helium-3 (ICF?)
  • Nuclear pellets

I believe Fusion travel is possible with the combination of Heavy Hydrogen and helium atoms combining together in a massive explosion (which can be used as thrust). @prestja

This is very similar to the chemical reaction in the sun's core...

4 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Torchships have been theorized to be Antimatter (because of how ridiculously fast you go when you use Antimatter)

To create antimatter you would need a collider facility. Of course at the rate current humanity is producing them that might take a while

but that's a whole topic section that deserves it's own thread.

New Antimatter Experiment at Large Hadron Collider Will Help With the  Search for Dark Matter

The intense heat produced by the anti-matter explosion would be shielded by intense magnetic waves (a technique excersized by the stellarator in germany)

8 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I may say that this confirmation makes all the debate about splitting "liquid fuel" in 2 or more IRL fuels being too difficult to understand seem a bit shortsighted.

I'm hoping with every fiber in my being that Liquid Hydrogen gets split off from LiquidFuel (typically seen as Kerosene). KSP2 is already bringing an expanded set of stock propellants. It would be a sin to leave LiquidFuel as an abstract, all-purpose thing.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm hoping with every fiber in my being that Liquid Hydrogen gets split off from LiquidFuel (typically seen as Kerosene). KSP2 is already bringing an expanded set of stock propellants. It would be a sin to leave LiquidFuel as an abstract, all-purpose thing.

Actually i hope there is an option for "Liquid fuel" to be Liquid Methane or sub-cooled Liquid Kerosene instead of Hydrolox. Hydrolox isn't very dense and although it is more efficient, when you compare the Falcon 9 (a liquid fuel rocket) to some other similar sized Hydrolox rocket, you end up finding that 99.99% of the time, the Falcon 9 lifts more payload into LEO (or in a kerbal forum, LKO).

7 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Actually i hope there is an option for "Liquid fuel" to be Liquid Methane

The developers have retroactively referred to KSP1's "Liquid fuel" engines as actually being methalox engines. Further confirmation can be found in the bottom-right corner. See how the fuel for the current stage is referred to as "ME"?n0iw2zt13b851.jpg